Program Idea: More Total Weight

This has probably been thought of before, but I haven’t read it anywhere, so here goes:

I want to incorporate a variety of rep ranges, and pace myself on exercises, and make sure I am making solid progress. So each week I want to try and lift more total weight than the week before.

Alright so heres the outline of the plan:

You pick a weight that you can do for 7 reps max. Then you do 4 sets of 5 with that weight for that particular exercise.

The next week you increase the number of TOTAL reps, so last week you did 20 reps, this week you should aim for 21-23 reps.

Once you are able to do 4 sets of 10 with that same weight, find another 7 rep max, and then use that weight.

So for example:

Week 1:
Bench Press, 100kg for 5, 5, 5, 5

Week 2:
Bench Press, 100kg for 6, 6, 5, 5

Skip forward a few weeks:

Week #:
Bench Press, 100kg for 10, 10, 10, 9/10

Up weight so it goes back down to 5,5,5,5.

This is just a idea that I am currently using for a program, I don’t see why it would not work, after all each week I am forcing myself to lift more weight, so my body will adapt to add more muscle (Providing nutrition/rest is adequete)

For now I can see this working, but I am sure that are some flaws to it (which is why i’m posting it to get some feedback).

Also I’ve found it easier to lift high weight when I build up to it gradually, for example, i do 80kg for 2 sets of 5 to warm up, then up it to 90kg for 5 reps, then 100kg for 5, then 110kg for 2 sets of 5. However, I’m not sure how to incorporate that into this program.

If anyone’s got any ideas on how to touch this up feel free to post.

On a side note: I know there are ‘proven’ programs out there like the ones CT has made up and EDT, but I enjoy working at this one a lot more and I feel its easier to keep track of progress.

I have done something very similar and it worked for me. Due to injuries, if I jump up in weight too quickly, I can aggravate them. This type of method allows you to do more work/work harder than your previous workout by manipulating something other than the load.

You could also pick a body part and add sets each workout. Start with 3 sets of ??, then 4 then 5 etc. All the way up to eight sets. Then up the weight, drop the sets back down to 3 and start again. I would not do that for every excercise in the workout because you may (depending on your goals) get into overtraining.

im not sure, but i think it was CW in one of his articles that talked about this. He discussed how he would do this with some clients and they would think a cake workout was coming because they were using the same weights. He used the example of a 200lb man doing 5x5 BW pullups. Adding in an additional set added 1000lbs to the workout, and therefore increased his total work from the previous week.

All in all, I believe that with the right parameters this could work.

this is just a form of progression which is covered quite well in CW’s new book.