T Nation

Program For Tracking EDT Workouts

In my spare time I’ve been working on a program for tracking Escalating Density Training workouts.

The basic idea is that at the beginning of your workout you enter a time period (e.g. 15 minutes) and select which exercises you’re working. You can also specify a previous workout to use as a comparison. Each time you complete a set you just click the appropriate button for the number of reps you just did. Your progress is tracked and a real-time chart shows your progress so you can easily tell whether you’re on track to beat your last workout (which is the main reason I wrote it).

A countdown timer is also displayed during the workout and, if necessary, you can even pause and resume . The comparative charting is actually pretty cool. You can tell at a glance if you’re falling behind on beating your PR.

All of the workout data is stored to disk and you can switch between different users/clients (possibly useful for a trainer).

It can be downloaded at www.brienv.com . There is still polishing left to do but it’s fully functional now. I’m posting this early version to get an idea if there’s any interest in a program like this. If there is, I’ll try to put a final version together with a single-file installer in the next week or two.

Any comments are welcome.

Brien Voorhees

That is awesome. I for one would be exceedingly interested.

[quote]brienv wrote:
In my spare time I’ve been working on a program for tracking Escalating Density Training workouts.

The basic idea is that at the beginning of your workout you enter a time period (e.g. 15 minutes) and select which exercises you’re working. You can also specify a previous workout to use as a comparison. Each time you complete a set you just click the appropriate button for the number of reps you just did. Your progress is tracked and a real-time chart shows your progress so you can easily tell whether you’re on track to beat your last workout (which is the main reason I wrote it).

A countdown timer is also displayed during the workout and, if necessary, you can even pause and resume . The comparative charting is actually pretty cool. You can tell at a glance if you’re falling behind on beating your PR.

All of the workout data is stored to disk and you can switch between different users/clients (possibly useful for a trainer).

It can be downloaded at www.brienv.com . There is still polishing left to do but it’s fully functional now. I’m posting this early version to get an idea if there’s any interest in a program like this. If there is, I’ll try to put a final version together with a single-file installer in the next week or two.

Any comments are welcome.

Brien Voorhees
[/quote]

you’re badass

Great job. Thanks

Looks to be more useful for home gyms, although maybe I could take my laptop to the gym.

Would that make me a meek head?

you are pure gold

Well, I was just going to create an excel spreadsheet because I’m planning on starting EDT tommorrow, looks like I won’t be needing that now.

Thanks a lot man, this looks perfect for a home gym.

Thank you for doing this, now I don’t have to.

Roland

Thanks much for the all comments! It’s very encouraging to see that the program is of interest. I thought maybe I was the only one nerdy enough to want to track my EDT workouts on my laptop! :slight_smile:

I’m considering adding additional features as well. Some that I’m considering are :

• Exporting workout data to text file
  • Export/View workout data as HTML page
  • Historical progress chart
  • Workout History List (summary display of recent workouts)
  • Timer beep at minute intervals and/or near end of workout
  • Post-workout comment field (for comments like “Missed rep goal due to hangover”, etc.)
  • Undo (in case you screw up when recording reps)
  • Rep quick-keys (instead of clicking on the appropriate buttons for the number of reps performed in the last set, just hit a number key. I’d also like to make it automatically apply to the “next” exercise. When clicking the buttons, it’s kinda’ easy to accidentally apply reps to the wrong exercise.)

Does anyone do PR Zones with more than 2 exercises? I contemplated supporting more than 2 exercises in a single session.

Also any suggestions on how/where to get the word out when I release the official 1.0 version? I sent an email to Staley but haven’t heard anything yet.

-Brien
brienv@brienv.com

I put up a new version on www.brienv.com . It now has an installer.

Also the new version has only one set of rep number buttons instead of one per exercise. It automatically figures out which exercise is the “next” one to apply the reps to (assumes you do them in order). Supports hotkeys (e.g. press ALT-5 to record 5 reps). Handy because when I’m exhausted from a set, I don’t feel like messing with my laptop’s stupid mouse/glide pad!

-Brien