Program for Summer W/ Lots of Free Time

As a young person who is going to have practically unlimited free time this summer I am interested in what all the veterans would advise someone to do in a situation like mine who wanted to get as big and strong as quickly as possible. I will have all the time in the world to train, plenty of food to eat as frequently as needed, and little to no other real commitments.

Nutrionally, I plan to eat at least 500 calories above maintenance, take Thibaudeau advised amounts of BCAA�??s (40-50 grams daily). I also am considering trying some beta alanine, while of course relying on the basic supplements like creatine, fish oil and protein powders.

So, in everyone�??s opinion, what is the best approach?

High frequency program such as Waterbury�??s http://www.T-Nation.com/findArticle.do?article=06-017-training

Twice daily training like this http://www.T-Nation.com/readArticle.do?id=1600922

Super intense failure training like Poliquin�??s super accumulation program http://www.T-Nation.com/readArticle.do?id=1605986 (High Frequency, Twice daily training AND failure training)

Very high volume programs like Arnold Schwarzenegger writes about in his encyclopedia of bodybuilding

Something I totally forgot?

Also, here is some more information about me specifically. I would currently consider myself an �??intermediate�??. I began at 5�??10�?? and 150 lbs and over the course of around 1.5 years I have bulked up to 195 lbs. My current lifting numbers are as follows:

335 Deadlift
315 Wide Stance Squat
255 Medium Stance Squat ATG
225 lb Bench Press
155x2 Overhead Press
225 lb Power Clean
225 lb Push Press
BW+50 lbs Chinup

So what is my best course of action for the summer? Of course there is the possibility that as an intermediate it is just best to stick to the good old basics like a 3 day per week full body training or a 2 day split like WSFSB. If this is the case please smack me on the head and tell me to save all of these advanced programs for 5 years later when I will actually need them. I am very interested in everyone�??s input, and if anyone has tried any of these approaches a summary of your results would be very helpful.

I would recommend sheikio for trying to get big and strong as its pretty high volume and workouts take a lot of time.

http://www.elitefts.com/documents/Sheiko37.htm

OR This for squats and legs-use your atg squat and do all reps atg- joeskopec.com - joeskopec Resources and Information.

and this for bench Week 1 (SETSxREPSxWEIGHT)
Mon - 6x6x70%
Wed - 7x5x75%
Fri - 8x4x80%
Sat - 10x3x85%
Week 2
Mon - 6x6x70%+10-20 lbs (bigger increase for bigger lift like squats)
Wed - 7x5x75%+10-20 lbs
Fri - 8x4x80%+10-20 lbs
Sat - 10x3x85%+10-20 lbs
Week 3
Mon - 6x6x70%+15-25 lbs
Wed - 7x5x75%+15-25 lbs
Fri - 8x4x80%+15-25 lbs
Sat - 10x3x85%+15-25 lbs Do those together and you will feel it quite a bit possibly pushing over training, but your young have lots of time to eat and sleep so should make great gains.

That smolov program looks very interesting. How much did you increase your squat 1 RM after the 7 weeks?

I dont know. But i know the best adjustment i have made lately is to stop worrying about rest ranges and just let them be however long it takes me to be ready. If thats 5 minutes so be it. So if you have a lot of time free i would not worry about the rest periods and take however long you need to make the best EFFORT that you can. On EVERY rep in EVERY set. ITs easier to spend over and hour in the gym this way. 100% commitment to quality over arbitrary limits like “time in the gym”. This would tie into twice a day training if you think about it.

So when did bodybuilding splits, i.e - Day1: Back, Day2: Chest, Day3: Legs, Day4: Shoulders, Day5: Arms, fall out of popularity for trying to get as big as possible?

If you look around the web, you will find that the majority of people that made significant physique transformations (Gained lots of muscle) used split routines.

If I was in your situation, which I will be in 2 weeks when all of my exams finish, I would do a true, tested and proven bodybuilding split routine to pack on as much muscle mass and add as much strength as possible.

3-9 sets (most to failure and beyond), 2-4 exercises per bodypart, trained once a week.

On top of that of course, focus on getting as many nutrients into my body as possible.

You could probably split your workouts into two during a day and add maybe 1-2 more sets per bodypart (40 min training in AM, 20-30 min training in PM).

I’m interested in this, too. In a very similar situation, but I also want something that takes more time doing the school year. I usually have too much free time, and the more things I have to do, the less I procrastinate. A two a day routine would be great so I have an excuse not to drink most nights.

I did try a bodypart split way back when i just started training, however i didnt seem to make very much progress with it. It is said however that the best program for someone is the one that they aren’t on, so mabye a change of pace with a bodypart split would do me some good. Also, where do people customarily include olympic lifts in bodypart splits, leg days?

[quote]OlympicLifter wrote:
I did try a bodypart split way back when i just started training, however i didnt seem to make very much progress with it. It is said however that the best program for someone is the one that they aren’t on, so mabye a change of pace with a bodypart split would do me some good. Also, where do people customarily include olympic lifts in bodypart splits, leg days?
[/quote]

yea, make sure you do olympic lifts as your first exercise since they are the most demanding on your CNS.

I’m with goodfellow and actually just posted on another thread that I get the most out of working each bodypart once per week.

It is up to you and I like to do this…I take my weakest bodypart and work it twice per week usually hitting it on Mon and again on thurs or fri. Take at least two days off with this routine, Wed and Sun work well.

Sounds like you have everything else ready to go. Good luck