Program for Size, Limited Equipment/Time

With limited equipment, being a full time student, and having a part time job that takes up most of my nights, what would be the best type of routine or training to put on size? I know the importance of food and sleep.

I have adjustable dumbbells that lets you add plates to it and pushup handles.

Thats it, I know, blah.

It especially sucks because chest is my favorite body part to workout and would love to get it huge.

So i was thinking of something like-

monday
dumbbell squats 3xhow ever many i can get while I continue to add weight each workout
dumbbell rows 3x""
reverse flies 3x""

wednesday
filling a backpack up with weights and doing weighted pushups on the handles? 3x""
seated dumbbell clean and presses 3x""
side delt raises 3x""

friday
maybe some arm work? bicep and triceps both 3x""
maybe some calf work? 3x""

im 6’3 195

I was 200 before I started working this new job - Home Depot
i’m a lot guy and i run around grab carts and help customers load heavy shit in the florida sun.

so, advice would be very very appreciated.

-amag

Join a gym if you can afford it

[quote]StephenD wrote:

[/quote]

Out of the question right now due to economic times

[quote]amag wrote:
StephenD wrote:

Out of the question right now due to economic times[/quote]

well a set of adjustable DB’s probably won’t be enough. I would find a way to make it work. Do you watch TV? Have internet? I know for me that is 150/month right there.

Some gyms are only 25/month. That isn’t much at all.

if you are a full time student… doesn’t your shool have a free gym?

[quote]DJS wrote:
if you are a full time student… doesn’t your shool have a free gym? [/quote]

no, it sucks, but we dont, you have to pay for the class to use it-lame.

How about some sand bags? Squats… deadlifts… overhead presses with heavy sandbags would be better than light dumbells, and sand and bags are cheap.

A famous mass program that utilises “lighter” weights that comes to mind is GVT by Charles Poliquin. Check it out if you’re interested.

Try to buy some more weights and an olympic bar from garage sells or borrow them from someone. Some other exercises that you can consider using in your program: One hand pushups, one hand chin ups (or just conventional chinups/pullups. If you don’t have a chin up bar, use the door, then use your backpack to add resistance), hand stand pushups and pistols (again, you can use your backpack to add extra resistance).

Do your best to get a gym membership though, or at the very least try to get some free trials at different gyms. Or if you know someone that has a home gym, maybe you can ask him or her if you can workout with them for a small fee.

I’d buy a oly bar and a bunch of 45s. You can do:

Deadlifting
Cleans
Military Press
Some light squat if you can clean the weight and lightly bring it down to your shoulders.

If you can’t afford that, you’re results are going to be minimized, sorry.

There is a certain amount of equipment you need and if you can’t afford the baseline stuff, you’re gunna have trouble with a decent physique.

I trained with DBs and bw exercises only for a while and could make some progress (would have made a lot more with i ate properly at the time).
DBs will limit more your lower body training than the upper body. But you still can do:
DB Squats
DB Front squats
Lunges
Bulgarian Squats
Pistol squats
DB stiff leg Deadlifts
1leg dead lifts
DB swings/snatches
etc…
For chest you can do, besides pushups variations(there are lots), DB floor presses. You can even do bw flies with the hands on DBs.
Also, look Mike Mahlers (author from this site) website, there are programs that use kettlebells only, you can do it with DBs.

I hope this helps, i’m no training expert but i got really creative when training with limited equipment at home.

[quote]IvanTheTerrible wrote:
How about some sand bags? Squats… deadlifts… overhead presses with heavy sandbags would be better than light dumbells, and sand and bags are cheap.[/quote]

my dumbbells are not too light, sand bags would actually be lighter. good idea though

maybe i should just focus on maintaining and hardening up right now and try a bulk during summer when i only have work and no school.

It’s hard for me to understand you not being able to muster up 25-35 a month for a membership.

I guess you could be living that poor, but I doubt it.

If every day, you asked a different person to borrow a dollar, you’d have a gym membership.

If every day, you asked four people to borrow a quarter, you’d have a gym membership.

You are clearly paying for internet. Downgrade to free 56k, and get a gym membership.

Stop buying white meat chicken, and get a gym membership.

If you drink, stop, and get a gym membership.

If you do any drugs, stop, and get a gym membership.

Take cold showers, and get a gym membership.

If you have a girlfriend, break up with her, and buy a gym.

[quote]DOHCrazy wrote:
It’s hard for me to understand you not being able to muster up 25-35 a month for a membership.

If every day, you asked a different person to borrow a dollar, you’d have a gym membership.

If every day, you asked four people to borrow a quarter, you’d have a gym membership.

You are clearly paying for internet. Downgrade to free 56k, and get a gym membership.

If you have a girlfriend, break up with her, and buy a gym.[/quote]

its oh so easy to be on the outside looking in eh?

even if i cut back on some stuff to get a gym membership, i would be paying to go 3 days a week…to me thats not worth it

i would rather deal with what i have now, and slowly save up to buy better equipment

the question is how to make the absolute most of what i have now.

itll be tough to make progress sure but i am willing to strain the fuck out of myself every workout and eat like a horse with munchies

im gonna start tomorrow after i get off work, i think this may actually be fun trying to add size with shit, if enough people cared/wanted i could update every workout

amag

[quote]amag wrote:
DOHCrazy wrote:

If you have a girlfriend, break up with her, and buy a gym.

its oh so easy to be on the outside looking in eh?

even if i cut back on some stuff to get a gym membership, i would be paying to go 3 days a week…to me thats not worth it

i would rather deal with what i have now, and slowly save up to buy better equipment

the question is how to make the absolute most of what i have now.

itll be tough to make progress sure but i am willing to strain the fuck out of myself every workout and eat like a horse with munchies

im gonna start tomorrow after i get off work, i think this may actually be fun trying to add size with shit, if enough people cared/wanted i could update every workout

amag[/quote]

it is all you need and it should be worth it… 3 days a week with heavy intense training would be all you need as compared to your measly and simple db however often…

It sounds like you could make sacrifices to join a gym, but you aren’t willing to.

3 days a week is plenty to make it worth it. You could even do a four day program.

What kind of adjustable dumbbells do you have? Most of them that I have seen are very expensive. Sell them, that should pay for a membership.

[quote]DOHCrazy wrote:
It sounds like you could make sacrifices to join a gym, but you aren’t willing to.

3 days a week is plenty to make it worth it. You could even do a four day program.

What kind of adjustable dumbbells do you have? Most of them that I have seen are very expensive. Sell them, that should pay for a membership.[/quote]

the ones that you load olympic plates onto…i can make them as heavy as i want, that is not an issue