T Nation

Program For Size And Strength?

What do you guys think?

www.leehayward.com/workout_programs/

I want to get stronger, but I badly need to put on some lbs. This program seems like a happy medium. Of course I plan on eating like a horse.

[quote]uzzyman wrote:
What do you guys think?

www.leehayward.com/workout_programs/

I want to get stronger, but I badly need to put on some lbs. This program seems like a happy medium. Of course I plan on eating like a horse.[/quote]

Westside For Skinny Bastards, EDT, HS-100 are all tried & true. Honestly i havent looked at the link though.

EDT, HS-100? Where do I find these?

Use the search function and set it to search articles. That program looks like crap. Deadlifting right after squatting will leave you with a shitty deadlift, or lightening your load on squats to pull heavier. Either way, you’re not getting the full benefit of both exercises. Thereafter, the program is all fluff exercises. I suggest you try one of Waterbury’s programs- the SOB workout and the art of Waterbury are both great.

[quote]uzzyman wrote:
EDT, HS-100? Where do I find these?[/quote]

Seek and ye shall find.

HS-100:
http://www.T-Nation.com/findArticle.do?article=06-065-training

EDT:
http://www.T-Nation.com/findArticle.do?article=196dens2

EDT Phase 2:
http://www.T-Nation.com/findArticle.do?article=201edt2

I’d start off with Bill Starr 5x5 then go to EDT after

[quote]Konstantine wrote:
I’d start off with Bill Starr 5x5 then go to EDT after[/quote]

X2 on the Bill Starr (linear periodization version)

[quote]derek wrote:
Konstantine wrote:
I’d start off with Bill Starr 5x5 then go to EDT after

X2 on the Bill Starr (linear periodization version)[/quote]

X3 on Bill Starr. Great program for adding size. I currently do front squats for squats and box squats for DL and my legs are growing like crazy after sitting at a plateau.

Bill Starr 5x5 looks like a great program, but I dont think its realistic for me to squat 3 times a week considering I want to keep my basketball game up.

What about if I take the original program and move the squat and deadlift to different days?

http://www.geocities.com/elitemadcow1/5x5_Program/Linear_5x5.htm

I’ve been doing this for about a year now and the results keep on coming

Ok, how about this. I did some serious switching up of the first part of the original program to meet my needs.

Monday

Squat 5x5
Calf Raise 5x10
Incline Situp 3 x10
Ab Crunch Machine 3 x 10
Back Ext 3 x 10

Tuesday

Incline Bench 5x5
Pullups 5x Max
Seated Dumbell Shoulder Press 5 x 8
Forearm Gripper 3 x10
Forearm Curl 3 x10

Thursday
Deadlift 5x5
Leg Press 3x10
Wide Grip Pulldowns 4 x 10
Ab Rope Pulldown 4 x 15

Friday

Incline Dumbell Press 4 x 10
Dumbbell Side Lat Raise 4 x 10
Dumbbell Front Raise 4 x 10
Bicep Curl 4 x 12
Tricep Rope Pushdown 4 x 12

Basically the calf and forearm stuff is in there because I have small calves and forearms so yeah you can call these “fluff” exercises. Well, I do need a stronger grip for basketball… Im not very good at pullups so thats why I threw those in, even though I kept Lat Pulldowns. Also, I took out some bicep/tricep stuff and a lot of accessory leg exercises. Comments/Concerns?

Thanks for the help too. The other programs you guys showed me look great, just not what Im looking for right now I guess.

[quote]uzzyman wrote:
Bill Starr 5x5 looks like a great program, but I dont think its realistic for me to squat 3 times a week considering I want to keep my basketball game up.

What about if I take the original program and move the squat and deadlift to different days?[/quote]

WS4SB is designed to go hand-in-hand with athletes who train in other sports

[quote]shogunassassin wrote:
Use the search function and set it to search articles. That program looks like crap. Deadlifting right after squatting will leave you with a shitty deadlift, or lightening your load on squats to pull heavier. Either way, you’re not getting the full benefit of both exercises. Thereafter, the program is all fluff exercises. I suggest you try one of Waterbury’s programs- the SOB workout and the art of Waterbury are both great.[/quote]

There is nothing wrong with deadlifting after you squat, pulling while being tired is a good way to build mental toughness and obviously if somebody competes in PL it helps prepare them to pull at the end of the meet when they are tired. You should be able to do both at a high intensity assuming the person has a decent work capacity.

[quote]Tim Henriques wrote:
shogunassassin wrote:
Use the search function and set it to search articles. That program looks like crap. Deadlifting right after squatting will leave you with a shitty deadlift, or lightening your load on squats to pull heavier. Either way, you’re not getting the full benefit of both exercises. Thereafter, the program is all fluff exercises. I suggest you try one of Waterbury’s programs- the SOB workout and the art of Waterbury are both great.

There is nothing wrong with deadlifting after you squat, pulling while being tired is a good way to build mental toughness and obviously if somebody competes in PL it helps prepare them to pull at the end of the meet when they are tired. You should be able to do both at a high intensity assuming the person has a decent work capacity.[/quote]

He raises a good point though, just because I dont want my legs to be sore for days after my workout since Im going to need to do at least some basketball drills everday.

train for strength and ur size will come along.

try the bill starr 5x5 routine and definitely westside barbell style

[quote]uzzyman wrote:

What about if I take the original program and move the squat and deadlift to different days?[/quote]

The Bill Starr type program would be fine with B-BAll. Just spread out the training days. Monday, Thursday, Sunday for example. There’s no reason you couldn’t take two to three days in between workouts or train twice per week like this. Monday=Day1, Thursday=Day2, Monday=Day3, Thursday=Day1 etc.

Ok fine, Im going to go with Bill Starr 5x5 for a few weeks. I have so much fucking work right now that I can probably only workout twice or three times a week anyway so Ill spread it out.

I do plan on using the program I gave above at some point (probably during summer) so if you guys could please comment on that it would be really helpful. Thanks.

I would go with WS4SB as well. With the one lower body day it fits in well with playin a lot of ball.

I can’t beleive no one has suggested classic 20 reppers! < These will work better than ANY steroid… no matter how much u foolishly put into ur system. Plenty of men have gained 40 -100lbs over the course of 3 - 5 yrs of 20 rep HEAVY squats combined w/ equally heavy eating good food.

[quote]uzzyman wrote:
Ok, how about this. I did some serious switching up of the first part of the original program to meet my needs.

Monday

Squat 5x5
Calf Raise 5x10
Incline Situp 3 x10
Ab Crunch Machine 3 x 10
Back Ext 3 x 10

Tuesday

Incline Bench 5x5
Pullups 5x Max
Seated Dumbell Shoulder Press 5 x 8
Forearm Gripper 3 x10
Forearm Curl 3 x10

Thursday
Deadlift 5x5
Leg Press 3x10
Wide Grip Pulldowns 4 x 10
Ab Rope Pulldown 4 x 15

Friday

Incline Dumbell Press 4 x 10
Dumbbell Side Lat Raise 4 x 10
Dumbbell Front Raise 4 x 10
Bicep Curl 4 x 12
Tricep Rope Pushdown 4 x 12

Basically the calf and forearm stuff is in there because I have small calves and forearms so yeah you can call these “fluff” exercises. Well, I do need a stronger grip for basketball… Im not very good at pullups so thats why I threw those in, even though I kept Lat Pulldowns. Also, I took out some bicep/tricep stuff and a lot of accessory leg exercises. Comments/Concerns?

Thanks for the help too. The other programs you guys showed me look great, just not what Im looking for right now I guess.[/quote]

I actually don’t think this a bad attempt at a program. I think Bill Starr’s 5x5 is great, and since a lot of people have done it, and since you can find spreadsheets premade if you do a search, it might be easier.

If you do try the program that you laid out, I would make a couple of changes.

1)I would add in a row of some kind…bent over row, seated row, inverted row, db row, whatever.

2)I would ditch the front raises since you are already hitting them twice with chest movements and again with db shoulder press. I would replace it with a rear delt raise or a face pull, or some other shoulder prehab move.

3)I would replace the ab machine with a lower ab movement like a hanging leg raise. And replace the decline situp with a decline Russian twist/situp combo.

4)Back extensions are fine, but you might get more benefit from a Romanian Deadlift.

5)I would replace the Leg Press with a single leg movement…step ups, lunges, Bulgarian split squats, etc.

Alright, so that is a lot of changes, but it was still a decent attempt at a program.

If you use a 5x5 template, make sure you eat enough and get enough recovery. When it’s done right, it is very taxing on the body.