Program For Sister

My sister wants to start lifting weights. She is 16, 5’1, and maybe 103lbs. She started lifting weights in a PE class. She wants to start lifting on her own now and she called me to ask what type of program she should do. I have no idea. I searched through the archives here and didn’t come up with anything that looked good for her. She wants to do as many free weights as possible and lift a minimum of four days a week. So can anybody give me the name of a program or article that is a simple and effective lifting plan for her to follow? I’d appreciate it.

What are her goals? That’s going to be a huge factor in deciding what type of program she should have.

Also, you may want to think about keeping her in the 8-12 rep range for a littel while. This tends to be a safe rep range for most beginners, as long as she isn’t going to failure or getting sloppy with her form. This will help build confidence and familiarity with the exercises.

By the way, how are things going with school? Have you figured out a solution to the problem you were having?

School is going pretty well…enjoying the X-mas break after a really tough semester. I did not exactly reach a solution as much as have one provided for me…I got a call from my grandmother in November saying that she had put a bond in my name for $10,000 before I was born and that it had matured. She hadn’t wanted to tell me in case it went defunct. Needless to say I was pretty happy. I feel like I won the lottery.

My sister wasn’t terribly clear about her goals. She’s a real cute kid (she’d kill me if she knew I said that) and just said she wants to get “buff.” Last time I saw her she was dancing around and flexing her arms for me;-)She doesn’t need to lose fat and I think she just wants to look like the alias girl. I know that is not specific but that is what I gleaned from her rather rambling phone call to me.

It’s great to hear that your financial problems are taken care of. Your grandmother stepped up big time on that one!

For your sister, I can’t recommend any programs off the top of my head. I think as long as her diet is right, she’ll grow on just about anything. Like I said before, if she is new to lifting, don’t get too complicated. Stick to the basic lifts, with a basic set/rep scheme.

Maybe some others can recommend a program.

try this

http://www.t-nation.com/readTopic.do?id=459296

CT specifically dealt with this topic. Basically she should do more sets less weight.

If she is worried about getting too big tell her not to use steroids. That normally helps.

this too

http://www.t-nation.com/readTopic.do?id=459767