Program for Pressing, Can't Jerk for 8 Weeks!

Hey all:

Due to a shoulder injury (the ol’ AC joint) I’m unable/not allowed to jerk for about 8 weeks. I can, however, do strict-pressing exercises. My thoughts are if I’m out of action for a couple of months I may as well really focus on my pressing strength. But, I can’t find much in the way of programs around.

I’m looking to press about three times a week, with a combo of wide-grip behind neck presses and standard overhead presses. Push-pressing is out for the next month. At the moment I’m kind of just throwing the tin around, but looking for something a bit more measured…

What would be some reasonable rep/set schemes/programs you guys could recommend that would put me on the right track?

Regards,

Guillefras

You could try something like the Russian Squat Program and use the strict military press!! I’m talking about the one where you lift 3x’s a week, like so:

Wk 1 - 80% x 2 x 6 sets, 80% x 3 x 6, 80% x 2 x 6
Wk 2 - 80% x 4 x 6 sets, 80% x 2 x 6, 80% x 5 x 6
Wk 3 - 80% x 2 x 6 sets, 80% x 6 x 6, 80% x 2 x 6
Wk 4 - 85% x 5 x 5 sets, 80% x 2 x 6, 90% x 4 x 4
Wk 5 - 80% x 2 x 6 sets, 95% x 3 x 3, 80% x 2 x 6
Wk 6 - 100% x 2 x 2 sets, 80% x 2 x 6, 105% (new max) x 1

ooh. that is the Russian Squat Program?

how is that for squatting? people find it good?

I have had VERY good results with my current press set/rep scheme:

warm up (max of 4 reps on these sets).
My warm up reps are usually as follows:

Barx4
2 (last warm up set is -10% of your 2 rep max)

the work sets are 8 sets of 2 reps at your two rep max. make all the reps, bump up the weight next press day. If you cant make all the sets, shoot for doing single reps until you hit 14-16 reps.

I do this on mondays with (and before) my clean and jerks. Wednesday is squats and bench press. Friday is front squats and incline dumbell press.

I treat the bench press and incline db press as ‘assistance’ work for the press. My work sets for both of these exercises is 5 sets of 3 reps. and its ALWAYS progressive meaning I always bump up the weight, if i can.

Doing this program for several weeks you should not plateau but if you dont feel strong I would do 5x3 presses with no more than 80% of your 2 rep max.

Using this pressing scheme I have made great gains after about 3 months of plateaus… Just today I hit a 10% pr from my last 1 rep max testing about a month ago.

If any of this is confusing, ask for clarification… I’m a little tired and not writing carefully. But my friend and I both use this scheme and we’re making gains all around.

I also recommend Mark Rippetoe’s Heavy-Light-Medium program for your first three months, and then moving on to the Texas Method after you’re done with the first one.

And then after that, use the set and rep scheme that the Russian Squat Routine has…

And then there’s the Smolov Jr.

I am really too much of a newbie to be giving out advice like this, but I believe it is fair to say that following an already established and proven training regimen will give you good results ESPECIALLY if you top that with good nutritional intake, rest… and the right drugs.

[quote]alexus wrote:
ooh. that is the Russian Squat Program?

how is that for squatting? people find it good?[/quote]

I like it for squatting!! I’m currently running it for back squats AND push press (trying to get jerk stronger). I have run it a couple of times, and gotten good results about every time!!

thanks olylifter. i’ve just started it for front squats (2 days in) and i like it so far. will see how i feel when i get to week 3.

did you take a break before re-running it? how many weeks?

[quote]alexus wrote:
thanks olylifter. i’ve just started it for front squats (2 days in) and i like it so far. will see how i feel when i get to week 3.

did you take a break before re-running it? how many weeks?[/quote]

I always take a bit of a break, usually only do it twice a year. I like to try different programs, but I almost always go back to that one. The volume gets a bit intense at 5’s and 6’s, but it’s very doable as long as you cut back on the lifts somewhat. I’ll probably take a month or two off and do it again for front squat.

hmm. okay. thanks for that.

i’ll admit i’m dreading the 5’s and 6’s already…

mind if i ask what other programs you do?

i got stuck with 5x5 (demoralized when i couldn’t match the weights of the previous training session and have realized i need lighter days and heavier days and more rep days and less rep days etc.

like to squat 3x a week.
like to do less reps than 6.
like to work towards increasing 1RM rather than rep max (e.g., 5/3/1)

i’m not sure of many programs that meet those constraints.