Program For New Client...

Okay, so I’m new to the training business and I’m trying to design a program for my first client. Any opinions (from the well respected T-Nation members) would be appreciated and I’m sure very helpful.

It’s not that I feel this program is bad by any means, it’s just that I would hate for someone to pay for my services and not get their moneys’ worth.

First off the client and goals;

Male. Mid-thirties. Never touched a weight before. Has never been very active at all up until this point. (I get the feeling it was his wife who wanted him to get into better shape). No real injuries or physical disabilities other then that of being really out of shape. Slight postural problems, with slight back pain from exertion. Again, just out of shape.

Goal: #1. Lose about 10lbs. #2. Gain some structure and stability. #3. Begin to add muscle to his frame.

The program is as follows. *1 hour.

CARDIO (20-25mins)
Day 1 & 2

-Recumbent Bike (for postural issues):
-5-7 min warmup
-12 min in appropriate HR Training Zone
-Quick cool down.

• to progress each couple of sessions.

SIMPLE CIRCUT (To keep HR high)

Day #1 Lower Body

A. Leg Press (Quad Dominant Movement)
B. Dumbbell Step Lunges (Hip Dominant Movement)
C. Step-Ups (Hip Dominant Movement)
D. Standing Calf Raise
E. Seated Calf Raise

^*Repeat as time permitting.

Torso Curl (Crunch)
Superman

Day #2 Upper Body

A. Horizontal Chest Press (Horizontal Push)
B. Seated Row (Horizontal Pull)
C. Standing Military Press (Vertical Push)
D. Lat-Pull Down (Vertical Pull)
E. Seated Bicep Curl
F. Tricep Cable Extension

Torso Curl (Crunch)
Superman

*Reps: 8-12
*Set: 1
*TUT: 2-0-4
*Load: 20% 1RM
*Rest: 0 - Very Little

Any changes or opinions on this?

I’m no expert but I would have him doing some squats.

Where is the squats and the bench at? If he is not hurt let him use the best exercises out there so he can achieve his goals.

Squats? Really. I’m not going to argue your opinions but I think throwing someone into squats who has never even touched a weight before is a little premature.

And I did add a horizontal press into the exercise for him to begin with. Then I was going to gradually move him up. I can see where your coming from though…

Any other thoughts?

Since he is new you should have him squatting off the bat. don’t limit his gains.

Hmmm, okay. 'what do you think about the LB day w/ squats added?

Day #1 Lower Body

B. Goblet Squats (Quad Dominant Movement)
D. Standing Calf Raise
E. Seated Calf Raise

[quote]Crusher Jr. wrote:
Hmmm, okay. 'what do you think about the LB day w/ squats added?

Day #1 Lower Body

B. Goblet Squats (Quad Dominant Movement)
D. Standing Calf Raise
E. Seated Calf Raise

^*Repeat as time permitting. [/quote]

Personally I would do this

A.Back squats (4x6)
B.Leg press (2x8)
C.Dumbbell step lunges (2x8 each leg)
D.Standing calf raises (2x12)
E. Sitting calf raises (2x12)

This is personally what I would have him do.

I also like the lower body work out that John has laid out.

Also couldnt agree more with the others. Show him the proper way to do squats, deads and bench right off the bat and it will do wonders for his physique.

[quote]LillGuy001 wrote:
I also like the lower body work out that John has laid out.

Also couldnt agree more with the others. Show him the proper way to do squats, deads and bench right off the bat and it will do wonders for his physique.[/quote]

make sure he understands the eventual huge payoff doing these much harder excersizes will have. It’s impossible to convince a lot of people the more difficult lifts are worthwhile.

honsetly? try to get him on somekind of conujugate method workout.

there are wonderful templates that only take 30-40 minutes total per workout (combining for a total of 100-130 min/week). He would see AMAZING gains and you would be a genius.

For the fat: Get him to eat healthy, get him doing compund movements, get him to take something like HOT-ROX Extreme and try to get him to use a post-workout shake.

Please keep us posted on the progress of your client, no matter what you decide to do with him.