Program for Cutting

I just embarked on my first cutting phase ever this new year and had been going with a 4 day split routine that almost worked as a circuit because rest periods are extremely short and they are antagonist sets. For example, Monday is Chest/Back :

A1- Bench Press 4x8
A2- Rows 4x8
(15 seconds rest between A1-A2, then 30 seconds A1)

And so on for 4 more exercises…

On top of that I am doing 30 mins on the bike after each workout and working on approx 1700 Cals/Day.

A friend of mine who is a certified trainer suggested that instead of lifting heavy I should be lifting SLOWLY to elongate my muscles and look more cut up when not flexed…is this good advice? should I change my routine??

Nothing?

This is my first post and I still know your friend is wrong, and has no idea what he is talking about. My grandma could become a personal trainer. The way your muscle looks when you build it is all genetic. You get the “cut” look from a low bodyfat.

your friend shouldn’t be a trainer

[quote]G-men27 wrote:
A1- Bench Press 4x8
A2- Rows 4x8
(15 seconds rest between A1-A2, then 30 seconds A1)

And so on for 4 more exercises…

On top of that I am doing 30 mins on the bike after each workout and working on approx 1700 Cals/Day.[/quote]
What are your stats (height, weight, age, training experience)?

I don’t generally like doing that much cardio right after a weight training session. If you’re doing cardio on a separate day it might be alright, but if you have to do it immediately after weights, a shorter duration is usually better.

Professionally speaking, that’s retarded advice. “Elongate the muscles”? Um, muscles stretch and contract regardless of rep speed. It’s sorta their job. :wink:

Like someone Condor mentioned, looking cut will happen as long as you have low bodyfat and decent muscle size.

Maybe, but not necessarily. Have you seen any results in the two weeks you’ve been doing it?

My first ten days of counting calories, eating clean, and doing cardio I lost 5 pounds which is pretty good…truth be told I’m not looking at losing that much weight.
This past week has been a little stagnant (I know it’s early to expect results weekly, but I feel I can do more in the gym!)

Right now I’m 5’8 177lbs and I’d guess somewhere between 13-15% bf.

Just re-wrote a new program that is a combination of OVT (which I completed 3 weeks ago and enjoyed) and Alessi’s meltdown training…3 days heavy 2 days circuit, light cardio after each!

That should get the job done!

It is normal for progress to slow down a bit, especially after dropping five pounds in 10 days (mostly water, but still).

[quote]G-men27 wrote:
Right now I’m 5’8 177lbs and I’d guess somewhere between 13-15% bf.[/quote]
Is that an eyeball guesstimate, or was it ever measured?

[quote]Just re-wrote a new program that is a combination of OVT (which I completed 3 weeks ago and enjoyed) and Alessi’s meltdown training…3 days heavy 2 days circuit, light cardio after each!

That should get the job done![/quote]

All that still on 1700 calories a day? That’s quite a bit of activity and not a whole bunch of calories. I’d be worried about scaring your metabolism into shutting down.

So, for example, what’s your next workout going to look like, exactly?

13-15% is just a rough guess… Never been measured.

in terms of the program I drew up it is the following:

Monday -Chest and Back
A1-Bench Press 5x5
A2-DB Flies 5x8
B1-Bent over rows 5x5
B2-Cable rows 5x8
C1-Incline DB Press 5x5
C2-Incline DB Flies 5x8
D1-Lat Pulldowns 5x5
D2-Drop Set 5x8

Tuesday - Legs/Shoulders
A1-Squats
A2-Lunges
B1-Military Press
B2-Lat Raises
C1-1 Leg reverse Curls
C2-1-leg Glute/ham raises
D1-Standing alternate db presses
D2-face pulls

Wed- off

Thurs Meltdown

Friday - Bi/tri
A1-Preachers
A2-Drop Down set
B1-skullcrushers
B2-Rope extensions
C1-1 arm BB curls
C2-incline db curls
D1-pullovers
D2-reveerse pulldowns

Saturday - Meltdown

Sunday - Off

All 1’s are performed 5x5 at 80%RM 201 tempo
All 2’s are performed 5x8 at 50%RM 602 tempo

Light steady state cardio at the end of each day…

Gonna start today on Meltdown and work from there!

Your calories are way too low, first of all. Especially considering all of the work you’re doing in the gym, PLUS cardio every day puts things even lower.

This is not going to go well at all. haha

Do you mind if I ask why you’re deciding to cut down now, when you’re only 177lbs?

I’m with Mr. Popular, it still boggles my mind that people who weigh under 200lbs want to cut. I blame Brad Pitt.

1- How many cals should I bump it to?

2- Not at all…Keep in mind I’m only 5’8, started at 182. I’m not looking to drop 15 pounds here, just wanna change the body composition. Ideally between 170-175 should get me ripped. And I wanna be ripped by early April when I head to the Dominican!

[quote]esk221 wrote:
I’m with Mr. Popular, it still boggles my mind that people who weigh under 200lbs want to cut. I blame Brad Pitt. [/quote]

So let me get this straight…If I’m 6’5 and weigh 205lbs it’s okay if I want to get lean, but at 5’8 185 it’s frowned upon to get lean?

I play hockey and golf, so I need to maintain my speed and flexibility, getting to 200+ at 5’8 would just be ridiculous!

how about

10x3 for fatloss, its wonderous

[quote]glenmowen wrote:
how about

10x3 for fatloss, its wonderous
[/quote]

I need a higher frequency and more fun lifts…

[quote]esk221 wrote:
I’m with Mr. Popular, it still boggles my mind that people who weigh under 200lbs want to cut. I blame Brad Pitt. [/quote]

How does that boggle you ? In this society the mainstream is most impressed by a six-pack. Thats what the girls like. So naturally guys want to get it.

I have no interest in getting to 200lbs and i couldn’t even if i tried, some people can carry the wt i cannot w/my frame, however i have found if you want to strip some fat off try Waterbury’s 10*3 for fat loss program i think it does the job real well and i’am not really sure that i would base my workouts on what is fun. Try it you just might like it.

[quote]G-men27 wrote:

I play hockey and golf, so I need to maintain my speed and flexibility, getting to 200+ at 5’8 would just be ridiculous!

[/quote]

Your goals are yours alone and I won’t waste any time trying to convince you of anything, but 200+ at 5’8(my height) is not ridiculous in the least bit for an athlete.