T Nation

Program for Bulking?

What will be more effetive when training for muscle gains as a natural body builder?
I think most body builders like to blast one muslce group a week with large volumes, this is the way i have been training and i feel good next day cause ill be soar or i feel like ive done all i could.

Then i read in another article for the natural trainee it is much more effective to hit a muscle group 2x in a week ex. upper/lower split with moderate volumes.

Im goin on a bulk and want the most size possible what do you guys think though would be more optimal?

The problem is probably your diet, not your workout. Multiply however much you weight by 20. Start with that many calories. Eat 1-2 grams of protein per pound of bodyweight. If you want a program, check out KingBeef’s “Do this routine instead of that dumb one”.

Shit usually goes better when you keep things simple.

No bro my diet and everythin is in check ive gained alot of strength doing strengh routine then i changed to heavy low reps 1 to 2 muscle group once a week and this is how i was training while i was on a diet!

Squat: 1.5 x bodweight
Deadlift 2x BW 2 reps
Bench Press: 100 pound over BW 4 reps

Now im comin off my diet and was wondering if i should just continue this way and just keep adding weight or switch to a pull/push upper/lower routine where i hit muscle groups more often?

Thanks ill check out that routine.

Simple, but generally accurate rule of thumb. If you can lift twice a week and get stronger every single workout (more reps or more weight), then do that. If you can’t progress every single workout… then work less frequently so the muscle group gets more time to recover.

Secondly, based on how defensive you were, I seriously doubt your diet’s in check.

[quote]hailmary5150 wrote:
No bro my diet and everythin is in check ive gained alot of strength doing strengh routine then i changed to heavy low reps 1 to 2 muscle group once a week and this is how i was training while i was on a diet!

Squat: 1.5 x bodweight
Deadlift 2x BW 2 reps
Bench Press: 100 pound over BW 4 reps
[/quote]

Actual numbers would help, height, weight, body pics, training split, diet.

okay sure young n! And im not trying to be defensive just saying its in check ive been tracking everything for 8 months! Lorez you kinda of answered my question im lookin for, your saying 2x would be more optimal. im sure ill be gaining on my lifts cause ive been in a deficit for more then 20 weeks so i could get away with working the muscle twice ill try your way.

5 7 height
183 weght

1600 calories: 100 carbs, 60 fat, 185 protein!

Big 3: sqaut 330x4 parallel, 280 x4 BP, 365x2 DL!

monday: shoulders triceps
tues: back biceps
wed: off
thursday: chest
friday: off
Sat: legs and deadlifts
sun: off

train heavy on all exercise 4-6 reps.
Sorry don’t have pics right now.

okay sure young n! And im not trying to be defensive just saying its in check ive been tracking everything for 8 months! Lorez you kinda of answered my question im lookin for, your saying 2x would be more optimal. im sure ill be gaining on my lifts cause ive been in a deficit for more then 20 weeks so i could get away with working the muscle twice ill try your way.

5 7 height
183 weght

Sorry don’t have pics right now.[/quote]

1,600 calories???

5 7 height
183 weght

Sure doesn’t look like your diet is in check. If you account for calories burned during a workout, you’re getting 1300 calories or less. You really need to eat more if you want to make progress.

[quote]super saiyan wrote:

5 7 height
183 weght

1,600 calories???[/quote]

Houston, I think we have a problem…

Lorez you kinda of answered my question im lookin for, your saying 2x would be more optimal[/quote]

Well, no, not quite. Not necessarily optimal.

If you’re progressing regularly, you’re either 1) building more muscle fibers, and/or 2) getting better at recruiting the muscle fibers you already have. If you’re eating at a deficit for what your body needs, you’re not going to be building as many fibers as you could be.

There are many variables to manipulate, and frequency is only one of them. Growing more muscle fibers is a response to causing damage to the muscle fibers themselves. You want to maximize muscle growth (hypertrophy) by causing a significant amount of damage to the muscle fibers, letting them get rebuilt, and repeating when they’ve rebuilt. The fact that you’re stronger is a sign that things have been rebuilt. (It’s also a sign that your nervous system has recovered, and muscle glycogen has been replenished.)

As far as which frequency is optimal really depends on a lot of factors. That rule of thumb is a good place to start, but it only gives you a rough idea. From what I’ve been able to tell, the less someone has been lifting, the sooner they can train again and build muscle. It seems that the longer they’ve been training, the more damage they cause to their muscle (by heavier weights, higher volume, better technique/mmc, etc.), and most people eventually gravitate toward a higher volume once-a-week approach over time.

For me, I started with 3x a week, and when I started to notice that progress was slowing down, I dropped to 2x a week. I’ve been here for awhile, and I’ll stay here for awhile, until I need to do something less frequent to keep progressing.

.[/quote]

You’re right, your diet is in check, for a 160# woman looking to lose weight.

1600 calories!!! Guys thats because im on a diet in fatloss mode. My maintainence was 3000 cals back when i was 210 but for me to continiously lose weight this is what i have to consume. Starting Novemeber im going into bulk mode and thats where ill be back up to 2200-2500.

Maybe my diets isn’t in check im not postive since so many of you guys think its not. This is my first time i tried to cut its been 5 months. I lost close to 30 pounds in 5 months averaging 2 pounds a week and most of it was around my waist.

1600 calories!!! Guys thats because im on a diet in fatloss mode. My maintainence was 3000 cals back when i was 210 but for me to continiously lose weight this is what i have to consume. Starting Novemeber im going into bulk mode and thats where ill be back up to 2200-2500.

Maybe my diets isn’t in check im not postive since so many of you guys think its not. This is my first time i tried to cut its been 5 months. I lost close to 30 pounds in 5 months averaging 2 pounds a week and most of it was around my waist.[/quote]

Bulking on 2200 calories? Yeah that will work.

[quote]xXSeraphimXx wrote:

Maybe my diets isn’t in check im not postive since so many of you guys think its not. This is my first time i tried to cut its been 5 months. I lost close to 30 pounds in 5 months averaging 2 pounds a week and most of it was around my waist.[/quote]

Trust me It will work for couple weeks, i will be able to gain weight after is slows then ill have to increase it.

[/quote]

/thread

[quote]xXSeraphimXx wrote:

[/quote]

Hey! My gf gained just fine on this much thank you very much!

Good job on getting lean, wow 5 months of 1600 calories and not loosing much musce mostly around the waist loss is good. Since youre only starting with a 500 calorie a day jump after a cutting diet, I would think you might be able to maintain, maybe add a ‘little’. If youre trying to put on a good amount of clean mass i would recomend you try the 2xweek muscles worked program while bumping up your calories 500 every couple of weeks to see how your body reacts. Good luck

[quote]mbdix wrote:

Good job on getting lean, wow 5 months of 1600 calories and not loosing much musce mostly around the waist loss is good. Since youre only starting with a 500 calorie a day jump after a cutting diet, I would think you might be able to maintain, maybe add a ‘little’. If youre trying to put on a good amount of clean mass i would recomend you try the 2xweek muscles worked program while bumping up your calories 500 every couple of weeks to see how your body reacts. Good luck [/quote]

Dude, if a grown man only eats 1600cals while training regularly and doesn’t lose any muscle, they either didn’t have any to start with…or they were using at least a gram of test or more.

[quote]Professor X wrote:

[quote]mbdix wrote:

Good job on getting lean, wow 5 months of 1600 calories and not loosing much musce mostly around the waist loss is good. Since youre only starting with a 500 calorie a day jump after a cutting diet, I would think you might be able to maintain, maybe add a ‘little’. If youre trying to put on a good amount of clean mass i would recomend you try the 2xweek muscles worked program while bumping up your calories 500 every couple of weeks to see how your body reacts. Good luck [/quote]

Dude, if a grown man only eats 1600cals while training regularly and doesn’t lose any muscle, they either didn’t have any to start with…or they were using at least a gram of test or more.[/quote]

I know, you know what youre talking about. If he isn’t just trolling or full of shit, I’m just trying to give my advise and wishing him the best.

[quote]mbdix wrote:

[quote]Professor X wrote:

[quote]mbdix wrote:

Dude, if a grown man only eats 1600cals while training regularly and doesn’t lose any muscle, they either didn’t have any to start with…or they were using at least a gram of test or more.[/quote]

I know, you know what youre talking about. If he isn’t just trolling or full of shit, I’m just trying to give my advise and wishing him the best.[/quote]

It’s the internet…this is a bodybuilding forum…and he just started posting.

My X-Computer says there is a 1.54 x 25^15 to one chance of this guy being super built from this massive food intake.