T Nation

Program for Beginner Gains?


#1

I'm 15 years old and have been lifting for a year now. I weigh 170 lbs and am 6'1". Here are my lifts.
Squat: 355 lbs (Parallel)
Bench Press: 160 lbs (touch and go)
Deadlift: 330 lbs
Overhead Press: 115 lbs

As you can see my upper body lifts are lagging quite a bit. I have been doing 5/3/1 for 9 months now and my lower body has been progressing however my upper body has been stalling. I am thinking about doing Stronglifts 5x5 for upper body and continue to do 5/3/1 for lower body. What do you guys think about this? Or should I just do Stronglifts 5x5 for lower and upper body? Thanks.


#2

I’m curious, have you tried following any of the advice you received in either of these two threads?

If so, what did you do and how did it work?


#3

I dropped all of the arm work and just did 5/3/1 from the book. I do 5/3/1 work sets and than jokers and than BBB. If I’m on upper body day I will do 5x10 of lat work and if I’m on a lower body day I will do 5x10 of ab work. My lower body continues to progress but my upper body doesn’t progress.


#4

I dropped the arm work and just did 5/3/1 straight from the Beyond 5/3/1 book. I did 5/3/1 with jokers and BBB. I did 5x10 of lats on upper days and 5x10 for abs on lower days.


#5

I saw that you were trying to put weight on since January and have been unable to do so. Why aren’t you gaining weight?


#6

I’m trying to maintain right now but I will put on about 10 lbs before football starts.


#7

Truthfully, if you are trying to maintain your weight, I don’t see you having a lot more success at your current age and bodyweight for your upperbody work. Whether you go 5/3/1 or abbreviated training, I think you’re going to need to eat more.


#8

I don’t mean to sound like a douche, and I am not saying it is not possible for your stats to be accurate, but I doubt that you are squatting to parallel with the stats that you mention for several reasons.

Please post a video if you can.


#9

[quote]trivium wrote:
When you post up a video, I’ll make you an offer.[/quote]

In fact, I will go as far as to say that it is the offer of a lifetime.

Someone did this for me, and I will pay it forward.


#10

How about if I post in 4 weeks? This will be at the end of my training cycle and after a deload. Are you being serious btw?


#11

[quote]BangkokHustle wrote:
How about if I post in 4 weeks? This will be at the end of my training cycle and after a deload. Are you being serious btw?[/quote]

I am 100% serious.

I’m going to make you an offer, so pay attention.

Unless you have some sort of medical illness where you are unable to lift and progress, I will help you every step of the way until you get to 190 lbs bodyweight AND you have a 335+/250+/365+ total with passable form for a powerlifting meet.

I am talking about free personalized training advice to the best of my ability. Whatever you need man. I will review form videos, provide a training program, provide you an AFFORDABLE nutrition plan that doesn’t take forever to prepare for the week.

If I don’t know the answer, I’ll find it for you. You will receive as much of my attention on this site as I can give you until you hit your goals.

My only conditions are that you 1) create a workout log here that you update daily, and 2) never deviate from my advice without good reason.

My last condition is that 3) if you don’t make noticeable progress in the next 4 to 8 weeks I can drop you from my responsibilities.

Does that sound fair?

I promise that you are not an experiment, and that you will make your goal. I think you just need some solid direction from someone who has been there, and who is just as serious about your training as you are.

IF YOU DO NOT ACCEPT MY OFFER, I CAN SAY THAT IT IS SAD THAT SOME GUY ON THE INTERNET IS MORE SERIOUS THAN YOU ARE ABOUT YOUR OWN GOALS, AND THAT YOU SHOULD FIND ANOTHER HOBBY.


#12

[quote]trivium wrote:
IF YOU DO NOT ACCEPT MY OFFER, I CAN SAY THAT IT IS SAD THAT SOME GUY ON THE INTERNET IS MORE SERIOUS THAN YOU ARE ABOUT YOUR OWN GOALS, AND THAT YOU SHOULD FIND ANOTHER HOBBY.
[/quote]

damn trivium, shit just got serious.

also great offer.


#13

So the only thing I have to do is post a video of me squatting in 4 weeks?


#14

[quote]BangkokHustle wrote:
Wow this is exciting. So the only thing I have to do is post a video of me squatting in 4 weeks? [/quote]

Are you fucking stoopid? Trivium lined out EXACTLY what the fuck to do. Re-read that shit man and get your ass lifting.


#15

[quote]StrengthDawg wrote:

[quote]BangkokHustle wrote:
Wow this is exciting. So the only thing I have to do is post a video of me squatting in 4 weeks? [/quote]

Are you fucking stoopid? Trivium lined out EXACTLY what the fuck to do. Re-read that shit man and get your ass lifting.

[/quote]

Haha easy brother.

OP, in 4 weeks, throw up a video in this thread, and I will review it and start your coaching.

Do we have a deal?


#16

Haha,
In.


#17

[quote]T3hPwnisher wrote:
Truthfully, if you are trying to maintain your weight, I don’t see you having a lot more success at your current age and bodyweight for your upperbody work. Whether you go 5/3/1 or abbreviated training, I think you’re going to need to eat more.[/quote]

I feel that statement is wrong. If the guy focuses only on strength gains and doesn’t tax his nervous system with “useless” hypertrophy exercises I believe he can get quite strong at his bodyweight. That is if you are comfy being mistaken for a girl in your video thumbnails. :smiley:

Heres one kid doing quite nice lifts at OPs stats:


#18

Yep it’s a deal. 4 weeks


#19

[quote]Karfield wrote:

[quote]T3hPwnisher wrote:
Truthfully, if you are trying to maintain your weight, I don’t see you having a lot more success at your current age and bodyweight for your upperbody work. Whether you go 5/3/1 or abbreviated training, I think you’re going to need to eat more.[/quote]

I feel that statement is wrong. If the guy focuses only on strength gains and doesn’t tax his nervous system with “useless” hypertrophy exercises I believe he can get quite strong at his bodyweight. That is if you are comfy being mistaken for a girl in your video thumbnails. :smiley:

Heres one kid doing quite nice lifts at OPs stats:

[/quote]

We will have to agree to disagree.


#20

Yeah like what about Alexander Kang? He is skinny and he doesn’t even look like he lifts but he is very strong.