Program Design For Older Beginners?

Hi all, sorry if this has been discussed before.

I was hoping someone could reccomend a resource for assesing weaknesses and designing programs for an older beginner lifter. I’m guessing that mobility work should play a signifcant role, but am not really sure where to start in terms of research. Are there any experts in the over over 50 field? I’m thinking someone similar to brian grasso/youth.
Thanks so much.

Id say check out Alwyn Cosgrove’s books. His program desing manual should fit the bill as well as his other stuff. Not aimed specific at older population but I dont feel it should be you still need to train the same with smart balanced training etc just be smarter than the kids listne to your body etc.

Go the the HST.com forum and look up Old and Grey.

[quote]MikeSh wrote:
Hi all, sorry if this has been discussed before.

I was hoping someone could reccomend a resource for assesing weaknesses and designing programs for an older beginner lifter. I’m guessing that mobility work should play a signifcant role, but am not really sure where to start in terms of research. Are there any experts in the over over 50 field? I’m thinking someone similar to brian grasso/youth.
Thanks so much.[/quote]

I’m getting into the geezer catagory myself. Our needs are definitely different then these young welps (meant in a friendly way). :sunglasses:

Before you do anything get checked out by the doc. I highly recommend a cardiac stress test. It will tell you volumes about your condition. Knowledge from the stress test will give you a bench mark on how much you can do without having a stroke. And for Christ’s sake buy a heart monitor and use when working out.

Second get a complete blood panel done and tell your doctor you want your testosteron checked and a complete thyroid panel done. Be sure he includes the thyroid T4, they tend to forget those for us older guys. When all that stuff is in see where you sit on the scale. Middle to low average is not good enough on the test or thyroid. The averages are taken from people that range from 50 to 70 years old, and I think they throw in results from a corpse for good measure. When you get this all figured out go shopping for a trainer. You want someone who knows what they are doing.

The gym bunny Trixie might be great eye candy and your eyes will get the cleavage work out of your life, but does she know what she is doing? Just make sure there is some brain cells firing between her pretty ears. When talking to the trainer, if they spend more time looking at themselves in the mirror than talking to you, move on. If you think you found someone that can help you, show them your medical data from the tests. A good trainer will know just what to do with you and how best to attain your goals. If you can’t afford a trainer on a regular basis, set something up where you can get with him or her once a month to help you review what you have been doing.

Hang in there buddy.

[quote]Phill wrote:
Id say check out Alwyn Cosgrove’s books. His program desing manual should fit the bill as well as his other stuff. Not aimed specific at older population but I dont feel it should be you still need to train the same with smart balanced training etc just be smarter than the kids listne to your body etc.[/quote]

Thanksfor the advice, I actually just ordered the New Rules of Lifting, so hopefully I’ll find some useful info.

[quote]dogsoldier wrote:
I’m getting into the geezer catagory myself. Our needs are definitely different then these young welps (meant in a friendly way). :sunglasses:

Before you do anything get checked out by the doc. I highly recommend a cardiac stress test. It will tell you volumes about your condition. Knowledge from the stress test will give you a bench mark on how much you can do without having a stroke. And for Christ’s sake buy a heart monitor and use when working out.

Second get a complete blood panel done and tell your doctor you want your testosteron checked and a complete thyroid panel done. Be sure he includes the thyroid T4, they tend to forget those for us older guys. When all that stuff is in see where you sit on the scale. Middle to low average is not good enough on the test or thyroid. The averages are taken from people that range from 50 to 70 years old, and I think they throw in results from a corpse for good measure. When you get this all figured out go shopping for a trainer. You want someone who knows what they are doing.

The gym bunny Trixie might be great eye candy and your eyes will get the cleavage work out of your life, but does she know what she is doing? Just make sure there is some brain cells firing between her pretty ears. When talking to the trainer, if they spend more time looking at themselves in the mirror than talking to you, move on. If you think you found someone that can help you, show them your medical data from the tests. A good trainer will know just what to do with you and how best to attain your goals. If you can’t afford a trainer on a regular basis, set something up where you can get with him or her once a month to help you review what you have been doing.

Hang in there buddy.
[/quote]

Hah, thanks for the great reply. Actually, the advice I’m seeking is more for research purposes than personal(I’m 19). But the points about the cardiac stress test and blood tests are excellent

Here is a link to Coach Davies’ article “Training for the Middle Aged Athlete”
http://www.T-Nation.com/readTopic.do?id=459258