Program Critique

Ok, I’ve been training on and off for a long time but seriously for the last two years. I’ve put together the following program and was wondering you if guys have any input on improvements or areas I’m missing out

Day 1

Incline Barbell Bench Press 4x8
Flat Dumbbell Bench Press 4x8
Incline Dumbbell Bench Press 4x8
Cable Flys 4x8
Close Grip Bench Press 4x8
Cable Crunches 4x12

Day 2

Deadlifts 5,4,3,2,1
Barbell Rows 4x8
Chins 4x8
Neutral Grip Dumbbell Row 4x8
Barbell Curls 4x8
Hanging Knee raises 4x12

Day 3

Standing Military Press 4x8
Neutral Grip Dumbbell Press 4x8
Seated Dumbbell Press 4x8
Rear Laterals 4x8
Barbell Shrugs 4x8
Russian Twists 4x12

Day 4

Back Squat 4x8
Stiff Leg Deadlift 4x8
Front Squat 4x8
Leg Press 4x8
Seated Calf Raises 4x12

Basically I’m wondering if this is heading in the right direction in order to pack on some mass and have I left anything out.

My stats are I’m 28 and 5.10" and currently weigh 205.

As for my diet I’m just eating as much as possible, not really worrying about macro nutrient split but I cook most of the food myself.

Any thoughts??

Thanks

WOW! That seems to me like TOO MUCH volume on this split. Better try ABBH or Quatro Dynamo by Chad Waterbury or EDT…

I personally think that is a boat load of volume.

Day 1 - You have incline DB and BB. Why? You basically have two flat bench too. Although, I do think close grip is an awesome triceps movement.

Day 2 Two rowing movements that are basically the same.

Day 3 3 Overhead movements? That is definitly too much.

Day 4 Kill the leg press. I personally would kill the front squats and replace it with a unilateral movement.

CT has a great article on exercise selection you should read. I don’t remember the name of it, but I think it is part of the article that summarized a bunch of tips he gave on the forums. You should also read his articles on good program design.

Not a huge fan of total body workouts, i have done them in the past but have found that splits tend to work better for me. Yes i agree there is a ton of volume in there, i have upped it from what i have been previously doing, was doing between 9-12 sets total for each day. So anyone else agree that 16 sets x 8 reps could be too much volume?? If so i might have to rethink…

Can you really do all that in an hour? For me that would probably take closer to an hour and half, or maybe longer. Remember, you stimulate in the gym, but build in the kitchen. It’s counter-intuitive, but more work is not always better when it comes to lifting weights.

You might like a program like EDT. I think it is call escalating density training. Or OVT (optimized volume training). Just use the search to find the articles.