Program by Elite Level PLer. Critique?

I got this program from a guy who lifts at my gym. He has a 733 single ply deadlift, a 722 single ply squat and 429 single ply bench at 210 lbs. bodyweight so I should probably be taking his advice. Light refers to 50-60%, medium is 70-80% and heavy is 85-???. Here’s the program

Week 1

Monday - Medium SQ, Medium BP, heavy DL
Squat 5x3-5
Paused Box Squat 3x2
Benchpress 5x3-6
4 board press 3x2-4 ramping
Rack Pull from knee work up to 2-4 rep max

Wednesday - Light SQ, Medium BP, heavy DL
Paused Box Squat 4x4
Benchpress against bands 5x3-5
Close grip bench 3x5
Deficit Deadlift no belt 6x3-5

Friday - Heavy Squat, Medium BP, Light DL
Squat to 2-3RM, three backoff sets, of same reps as top set
Benchpress 3-5x3-5
3 boardpress 2-3x2-5, same reps and sets on 4 board
Deficit Deadlift 6x3-5

Week 2

Monday - Medium SQ, Medium BP, Heavy DL
Squat 5x3-5
Paused Box Squat against bands 3x2
Benchpress to 2-3RM, 3 backoff sets of same reps as RM.
Rack Pull from knees 4x2-4

Wednesday - Light SQ, Medium BP, Heavy DL
Front Squat 4x3-5
Close grip bench 3x5
Deadlift to 2-3RM, 3 back off sets of same reps as RM.

Friday - Heavy SQ, Medium BP, Light DL
Squat 5x1-2
Quarter Squats 3x3 For 100% or more, he says to get used to heavier weight on your back
Board press 2x2-5 on boards 2-4
Deficit Deadlift 6x3-5

He knows that I am a raw lifter. I never tried boardpressing or benching against bands, but I did find that it forced me to control the weights more and get used to heavier weights in my hands. I can also full range press more than I can boardpress. My current numbers are about a 150 kg squat, 120-125 kg bench and about a 200 kg deadlift, 102 kg BW, 17 years old. I hope someone has some good advice for me here. Thanks in advance, T-Nation.

He is elite, which doesn’t really mean that he is the godhand of all things powerlifting, but this guy puts some really good numbers up so listen to him. He knows more then you do, knows more then I do. See where it takes you if it doesn’t work try something else out.

I personally wouldn’t recomment so much board work on bench, as the sticking point for a raw lifter and an equipped lifter are seldom the same spot. But if you like it, try it for a few months, and see what kind of progress you make.

It NEVER works to take a program you received in person and post in online for critique. I could have Josh Bryant, Matt Kroczaleski, Mike Tuchscherer, Louie Simmons, etc, all write me a program and post it online and watch it get torn apart.

TC, you either have enough faith in your trainer and his results that you are willing to follow his advice or you know enough to know that his advice is not worthwhile. Do not make your training a democracy, where everyone gets a vote and a say. You need a dictatorship, or at the most, an oligarchy.

What’s his name?

Someone who puts up numbers like that is someone you could listen to and try out some things he suggests; but focus on his work ethic. What works for him works for him. Apply the things he tells you and see where it leads. You can always learn about yourself by trying other’s suggestions. It looks pretty brutal to me depending on the weights you’re using. Get lots of cals and rest.

Good luck to you.

[quote]Ecchastang wrote:
I personally wouldn’t recomment so much board work on bench, as the sticking point for a raw lifter and an equipped lifter are seldom the same spot. But if you like it, try it for a few months, and see what kind of progress you make. [/quote]

I can only assume because it is not specified. The only reason to do high boards is not to help with a sticking point but just extra tricep work. I don’t do a lot of board work but when I feel like absolutely killing my tris I’ll just do a couple sets with a 3 board. I’m to fat to do higher boards. It isn’t really specified in here what he is saying so that is the only explanation i cna think of.

[quote]T3hPwnisher wrote:
It NEVER works to take a program you received in person and post in online for critique. I could have Josh Bryant, Matt Kroczaleski, Mike Tuchscherer, Louie Simmons, etc, all write me a program and post it online and watch it get torn apart.

TC, you either have enough faith in your trainer and his results that you are willing to follow his advice or you know enough to know that his advice is not worthwhile. Do not make your training a democracy, where everyone gets a vote and a say. You need a dictatorship, or at the most, an oligarchy. [/quote]

I agree w/ this as well. Too many trolls criticizing instead of working. I worked w/ Matt K for 12 weeks dieting down for a meet + weight training and never put his program for me on here. I know what would happen.

[quote]Umbrata Fortis wrote:

[quote]Ecchastang wrote:
I personally wouldn’t recomment so much board work on bench, as the sticking point for a raw lifter and an equipped lifter are seldom the same spot. But if you like it, try it for a few months, and see what kind of progress you make. [/quote]

I can only assume because it is not specified. The only reason to do high boards is not to help with a sticking point but just extra tricep work. I don’t do a lot of board work but when I feel like absolutely killing my tris I’ll just do a couple sets with a 3 board. I’m to fat to do higher boards. It isn’t really specified in here what he is saying so that is the only explanation i cna think of.[/quote]

I’m w/ you. I do 2-board for sets of 10 for assistance to build triceps after benching. Can’t really hit/isolate them any harder for building pressing strength.

OP, you need look no further than THIS advice. 100% spot on. In addition, ALL programs need to be tweaked eventually to keep progressing. You have the luxury of having the guy there to help you make those adjustments. Sounds like all you need to do is get after it before the “internet experts” fuck up a good thing you got going on.

TC, you either have enough faith in your trainer and his results that you are willing to follow his advice or you know enough to know that his advice is not worthwhile. Do not make your training a democracy, where everyone gets a vote and a say. You need a dictatorship, or at the most, an oligarchy. [/quote]

[quote]StrengthDawg wrote:
OP, you need look no further than THIS advice. 100% spot on. In addition, ALL programs need to be tweaked eventually to keep progressing. You have the luxury of having the guy there to help you make those adjustments. Sounds like all you need to do is get after it before the “internet experts” fuck up a good thing you got going on.
[/quote]

More great advice. There you go OP…now go lift some weight

Great post. Psychologically undermining your plan by seeking critique, while well meaning, makes it likely you will fail.

The plan will work well if you believe in it and execute it with violence.

[quote]osu122975 wrote:
I agree w/ this as well. Too many trolls criticizing instead of working. I worked w/ Matt K for 12 weeks dieting down for a meet + weight training and never put his program for me on here. I know what would happen.
[/quote]

How did you like the experience? I’ve been kicking around the idea of buying one of the packages off his site.

I just wanted to see if you the forum would tell me anything I had not thought through myself. I’m through only 2 weeks so far, I’ll take some months on this and see how it goes. Thank you guys, good liftin’.

[quote]osu122975 wrote:
[/quote]

How did you like the experience? I’ve been kicking around the idea of buying one of the packages off his site.[/quote]

Depends on how much interaction you want. If you want a lot of attention - this would not be for you. Matt is very goal oriented so if you’re not staying the course, get ready for some very honest and brutal “encouragement”. NOTHING gets in the way of the goal.

My goal was dropping from 235lb to the 198 class in 16 weeks while maintain/gain strength for a PL competition. The diet was typical w/ a big cheat meal on Friday. Weight loss goal was 1-2lbs/week. I had to photo myself every week for any changes needed in diet/cardio.

Matt knows his stuff. And those who know his work ethic - he is extremely dedicated and expects the same from whoever he works with. If you do it, go full go and if not, look out! haha

I learned a lot about how to diet properly and stay consistent to reach a goal. Just make sure you are very clear and detailed about your goal so he can effectively help you reach it.

[quote]osu122975 wrote:
Depends on how much interaction you want. If you want a lot of attention - this would not be for you. Matt is very goal oriented so if you’re not staying the course, get ready for some very honest and brutal “encouragement”. NOTHING gets in the way of the goal.

My goal was dropping from 235lb to the 198 class in 16 weeks while maintain/gain strength for a PL competition. The diet was typical w/ a big cheat meal on Friday. Weight loss goal was 1-2lbs/week. I had to photo myself every week for any changes needed in diet/cardio.

Matt knows his stuff. And those who know his work ethic - he is extremely dedicated and expects the same from whoever he works with. If you do it, go full go and if not, look out! haha

I learned a lot about how to diet properly and stay consistent to reach a goal. Just make sure you are very clear and detailed about your goal so he can effectively help you reach it.
[/quote]

Thanks for sharing that. I can definitely see how Matt’s personality shines through in his coaching. I appreciate the insight.

[quote]Ramo wrote:

The plan will work well if you believe in it and execute it with violence. [/quote]

I like the way you put that! In a sense, it is a very violent sport.

[quote]osu122975 wrote:

[quote]osu122975 wrote:
[/quote]

How did you like the experience? I’ve been kicking around the idea of buying one of the packages off his site.[/quote]

[/quote]

How much are the package deals? I really have been wanted to get trained by someone decent since where I live there are no big names in power lifting. Everything I know I know i have learned myself and I know that on a day to day basis I am doing something wrong I just don’t know what it is.

[quote]DaneMuscle wrote:
I got this program from a guy who lifts at my gym. He has a 733 single ply deadlift, a 722 single ply squat and 429 single ply bench at 210 lbs. bodyweight so I should probably be taking his advice. Light refers to 50-60%, medium is 70-80% and heavy is 85-???. Here’s the program

Week 1

Monday - Medium SQ, Medium BP, heavy DL
Squat 5x3-5
Paused Box Squat 3x2
Benchpress 5x3-6
4 board press 3x2-4 ramping
Rack Pull from knee work up to 2-4 rep max

Wednesday - Light SQ, Medium BP, heavy DL
Paused Box Squat 4x4
Close grip bench 3x5
Deficit Deadlift no belt 6x3-5

Friday - Heavy Squat, Medium BP, Light DL
Squat to 2-3RM, three backoff sets, of same reps as top set
Benchpress 3-5x3-5
3 boardpress 2-3x2-5, same reps and sets on 4 board
Deficit Deadlift 6x3-5

Week 2

Monday - Medium SQ, Medium BP, Heavy DL
Squat 5x3-5
Paused Box Squat against bands 3x2
Benchpress to 2-3RM, 3 backoff sets of same reps as RM.
Rack Pull from knees 4x2-4

Wednesday - Light SQ, Medium BP, Heavy DL
Front Squat 4x3-5
Close grip bench 3x5
Deadlift to 2-3RM, 3 back off sets of same reps as RM.

Friday - Heavy SQ, Medium BP, Light DL
Squat 5x1-2
Quarter Squats 3x3 For 100% or more, he says to get used to heavier weight on your back
Board press 2x2-5 on boards 2-4
Deficit Deadlift 6x3-5

He knows that I am a raw lifter. I never tried boardpressing or benching against bands, but I did find that it forced me to control the weights more and get used to heavier weights in my hands. I can also full range press more than I can boardpress. My current numbers are about a 150 kg squat, 120-125 kg bench and about a 200 kg deadlift, 102 kg BW, 17 years old. I hope someone has some good advice for me here. Thanks in advance, T-Nation.

[/quote]

No way in fucking hell my low back would manage squatting and deadlifting on same workout, 3x per week, at whatever percentage.