T Nation

Program Advise

What do you think of these two workouts for a 40 year old novice/intermediate looking to gain size.I would like to find something to run for 6 months or so instead of bouncing around.

Pull
T bar4x3-6
W pull-up x5
DB row 4x8-10
R flys 4x8-10
Shrugs 3x8-10
Ez bar curl 3x8-10
Hammer/seated incline curl 3x8-10
Band pull aparts

Push
Ohp/incline3x3-6
DB bench 3x8-10
Close grip bench 3x8-10
Flys/crossover 3x8-10
Lat raise 3x8-10u
Tri ext 3x8-10
Dips 3x8-10

Legs
F squats/DL 4x8-10
B split squat/lunge3x8-10
Curl 3x8-10
Rom deadlift 3x8-10
Calf raise 3x8-10
Abs x4-6sets

My goals are aesthetics,mass and just being able to stay in the gym.
Is routine good for that?
Were the slash marks are is just a option If the station is taken or just for some change.
Should I do sets across or ramp up the weight each set?
What is the best way to progress,just move up when all sets are done to the final number or maybe use the 531 method on compounds and just move up asstence when needed?
Some of this is modified to fit my 40 year old body and underlining issues

Since you mention 5/3/1 why not just do one of its versions? I’m pretty sure there are a couple that fit your goals.

That way you don’t have to worry about exercise selection or what progression to pick because it’s all there for you.

[quote]MarkKO wrote:
Since you mention 5/3/1 why not just do one of its versions? I’m pretty sure there are a couple that fit your goals.

That way you don’t have to worry about exercise selection or what progression to pick because it’s all there for you. [/quote]

It looks like the first choice he listed is a 5/3/1 template, although it’s one with excessive assistance work, which is what pretty much everyone does when they start 5/3/1… People just don’t want to believe that doing so few exercises can give them the results they’re looking for.

But yeah, go with 5/3/1, but don’t look to over-complicate it with extra assistance work.

[quote]OTHSteve wrote:

[quote]MarkKO wrote:

That way you don’t have to worry about exercise selection or what progression to pick because it’s all there for you. [/quote]

It looks like the first choice he listed is a 5/3/1 template, although it’s one with excessive assistance work, which is what pretty much everyone does when they start 5/3/1… People just don’t want to believe that doing so few exercises can give them the results they’re looking for.

But yeah, go with 5/3/1, but don’t look to over-complicate it with extra assistance work.[/quote]

Now that you mention it, you’re right. I thought OP had put up two different programs.

Now I look at it, holy wow that is so much assistance work. Way too much.

The 5/3/1 template looks ok and does not look like too much volume. It almost seems fashionable to say “too much volume, stick to the program, dont add shit” when you have more than the 5/3/1 sets and 1 assistant.
Take a look at Building the Monolith template that Jim wrote, that is what proper volume looks like.

Bench day from the OPs program.
Bench 5/3/1+FSL AMRAP
Close Grip Bench 3x10
Chin ups 50
Face pulls 50
Biceps/Triceps 3x15

Personally I wouldn’t do it but it’s not exactly going to lead to overtraining!

It is two programs.
I have been doing 531 for six months,I found this 531 templete and it looked fun but wanted to make sure it was balanced or if some exercises needed omitted or changed.
Thanks

Which parameters did you use?

Nothing wrong with it. I just find people misuse that damn app. And 3 sets of what ever won’t kill you.

Just don’t forget the 5/3/1 principles.

If you can do that much volume successfully, go for it. But what I see is:
5/3/1 base movement
AMRAP FSL (accessory exercise 1)
Second accessory exercise
4 (for press and bench days) or 3 (deadlift and squat days) assistance exercises.

I’m pretty sure if you’re doing FSL that should be your only ‘accessory’ lift per the original or beyond programs, but if the OP can handle the volume, more power to him. It would be too much for me, but I’m old.

And you’re right, 3-4 light assistance exercises with high reps is probably okay.

Thanks guys, i did do the 3 month challenge and just wanted something a little different.

Not sure what everyone is talking about in regards to the 5/3/1 template having too many exercises and too much volume. It is the Simplest Strength Template taken directly from the 2nd edition of the book PLUS a single set (AMRAP FSL). Personally I’d run it as it is described in the book for a few cycles and then decide if I need/ want to add the FSL set, but that’s just me.