Program Advise

38 6ft 160,down from 200 from a 7 month diet,been lifting for about 1.5 years but nothing serious,just looking to out on 15-20 lbs in the next few years for a good athletic body,some back and tendonites issues.
Should I start back with prac program for novice routine were he cleans are replace with chins and pull ups than maybe a upper lower split like Blending Size and Strength, Version 2.0
Developing the Best of Both Worlds
by Dr. Clay Hyght, DC, CSCS or just do the upper/lower split and try to progress on all major lifts?

If you have the time, and are willing to put in the effort, 5/3/1 may be right for you. It keeps you focussed on the major lifts, but you can tailor it to your own goals, and you are not lifting heavy every workout as it includes built-in peaking and deloading. There’s even a forum on this site devoted to it.

You thought you needed to lose weight at 200 and 6’ tall?

You were wrong. Was wasted time you could have been putting muscle on.

Now, for your question: what exactly do you mean by “athletic body”? Like sumo wrestler? NFL defensive lineman? 100-yard sprinter? Rugby player? Baseball player?

All of them are athletes.

Seems like your main priority is health since you cut that much weight. What has been your experience with lifting? What programs have you done and how often do you incorporate the big 3 lifts in your training? Have your back problems worsened from lifting?

Athletic for me would be 6 ft 185 and lean,When I started 1.5 years ago I didn’t know about counting macros and nutrition but sence I have really spent some time learning,I started on shortcut to size than jumped around to l mcdonalds generic bulking routine than phat with out both leg days,I never really did squats and deads till the last six months,I am a little in the safe side because of disc issues but I can do both,I just need to watch form and not be stupid,I not 24 anymore,I have been using the trap bar for deadlift and thought about doing some rack pulls,my max dead (trap bar) is 235x3,squat is 185x3, and bench is 205x3.

Im not looking to be a power lifter but would love to put 20 lbs of muscle back on in the next couple years,I don’t mind putting on a little fat but I do not want 30 plus pounds of excess back,i put on fat easy.i want to start a really program that I fallow every time and stay on it and track my macros and see were this journey leads.
Thanks guys

[quote]Coopsdaddy wrote:
235x3,squat is 185x3, and bench is 205x3.[/quote]
Please read this over and over again until you realize how out of whack this is. Your squat is less then your BP and your BP is 20lbs less then your dead???

[quote]
Im not looking to be a power lifter but would love to put 20 lbs of muscle back on in the next couple years,[/quote]
You will not one over night. Stop fretting about it and get stronger. Nothing wrong with a 5/3/1 type program. Nothing wrong with what you mentionned either. Just get rid of that mentality.

[quote]
I don’t mind putting on a little fat but I do not want 30 plus pounds of excess back,i put on fat easy.i want to start a really program that I fallow every time and stay on it and track my macros and see were this journey leads.
Thanks guys[/quote]

We all put on fat easy when we eat too mch or wrong kind of foods, etc. You re not special in that way. You want to put on 20lbs of Muscle? Eat. No way around that one. Just don’t be a glutton.

[quote]Coopsdaddy wrote:
i want to start a really program that I fallow every time and stay on it and track my macros and see were this journey leads.[/quote]
The Blending Size and Strength routine is a very solid 12-week plan. I’d start with that, get your nutrition in line, and re-evaluate things after 3 months. Definitely get back into the habit of hard leg training (without injuring yourself, obviously). Having your bench that far out of proportion to your other lifts, and to your rowing exercises I’m guessing, is actually opening yourself up to more problems.

Based on the pic in your Rate My Physique thread, you’re in a pretty great starting place to put some size on, so congrats on the fat loss. Your goals worth shooting for as long as you’re smart about it, don’t aggravate your old injuries, and don’t get impatient and try to rush any added size.

I know my lifts are out of wack,I was like most guys I see in the gym and not doing legs,I was intimidated by squats and deads,I relized I needed to man up and start,plus get serious about tracking my food,plus plus just being over loaded of program choices and not sticking to one.
Thanks for the advise

[quote]SevenDragons wrote:

Now, for your question: what exactly do you mean by “athletic body”? Like sumo wrestler? NFL defensive lineman? 100-yard sprinter? Rugby player? Baseball player?

[/quote]

I think you only see the number 200 lbs and not realize people can have drastically different body compositions at that weight and should plan their short-term goals accordingly. If you have a muffin top at 200, even at 6 ft, it may be a good idea to lose some flab before you go crazy trying to gain muscle.

I’m surprised he could get down to 160 lbs being 6 ft, but that’s not exactly a bad starting point to start trying to get to his goals.

[quote]staystrong wrote:

[quote]SevenDragons wrote:

[/quote]

I think you only see the number 200 lbs and not realize people can have drastically different body compositions at that weight and should plan their short-term goals accordingly. If you have a muffin top at 200, even at 6 ft, it may be a good idea to lose some flab before you go crazy trying to gain muscle.

I’m surprised he could get down to 160 lbs being 6 ft, but that’s not exactly a bad starting point to start trying to get to his goals.[/quote]

I agree with this 100%. I’m 6 foot and I’ve certainly been 200lbs and fat.

[quote]dagill2 wrote:

[quote]staystrong wrote:
I’m surprised he could get down to 160 lbs being 6 ft, but that’s not exactly a bad starting point to start trying to get to his goals.[/quote]
I agree with this 100%. I’m 6 foot and I’ve certainly been 200lbs and fat.[/quote]
For the record, this pic is from the OP’s Rate My Physique thread.

He’s now a legit lean 160, not skinny marathon runner-lean. Definitely in a great spot to start adding size. Obviously we don’t know what kind of condition (fat-wise) he was in at 200, but the fat loss appears to have been the right call for him.

I’m really liking the u/l split but have been looking at the 531 stuff because it was suggested.It is overwhelming trying to find a program that I think will help meet my goals and not flare up old injures,I want to really focus on bench,press,chins and focus on form and exercise selection concerning squat and deads.
As to be expected I lost most strength I gained but look foward to getting it back but in a slower leaner way.
Thanks for the advise!

[quote]Coopsdaddy wrote:
It is overwhelming trying to find a program that I think will help meet my goals and not flare up old injures,I want to really focus on bench,press,chins and focus on form and exercise selection concerning squat and deads.[/quote]
There are lots of programs that can help you do all that. 5/3/1 is one. Blending Size and Strength (which you mentioned first) is another. There are plenty.

Your task is to determine your specific goal, choose a program that can achieve that goal, and stick with it for a set amount of time - like 12 weeks for Blending Size and Strength, 36 weeks or more for 5/3/1, etc. - and just put the time in. There’s almost no “wrong” program, but there are definitely ways you can screw up any program.

In the five days since you started this thread, how many workouts have you done and what did you do?

I have been going working on squat,deadlift and standing press form,doing some hypers for lower back,I have spent the last week writing out my meal and macro plan,I’m bumping up my calories 100 a day for a week ,for the next 4 weeks.My new workout will start on dec 16th,that’s my annaversy at work and that gives me time time to get it all together and put together a log book.

[quote]Coopsdaddy wrote:
I’m bumping up my calories 100 a day for a week ,for the next 4 weeks.[/quote]
You’re not likely to see any significant or measurable results from that small an increase. Something like +250 calories would be a better place to start.

You’re relatively-lean and (will be) active/training at least four days a week. Your body will find a use for those calories.

I might have stated that wrong,I’m about 200 under maintenance and will be adding 100 calories per day for 1 week than another 100 per day for a week etc for 4 weeks,so I should end up at 200 over maintenance per day,than I will just keep a eye on my progress to add or delete .
Thanks

I was eating 1650 and now I’m at 1750 and will continue weekly till I get to 2050 in a few weeks,than monitor weight,what do you think about my macros.
2050 cal
1.5 g pro per lean body weight
0.5 g fat
Fill the rest with carbs(potato,oats,fruit and veggies)
Looking to only gain 2-2.5 lbs per month.

I’m now at 2500 cal as of yesterday,158.8lbs.
40%carbs
35%protein
25%fat
Eggs,fish,red meat,potatos,s potatos,b rice,almonds,g yogart,cot cheese,veggies,whey,casein,milk,nat pb.
I haven’t been gaining but my lifts are still going up weekly,squat and ohp are just about to stall at 200 and 110 for 3x5.
Just wanted to check on these macros or should I change,I will up my cal to 2600 in 10 days if no change.
Thanks

[quote]Coopsdaddy wrote:
I’m now at 2500 cal as of yesterday,158.8lbs.
40%carbs
35%protein
25%fat
Eggs,fish,red meat,potatos,s potatos,b rice,almonds,g yogart,cot cheese,veggies,whey,casein,milk,nat pb.
I haven’t been gaining but my lifts are still going up weekly,squat and ohp are just about to stall at 200 and 110 for 3x5.
Just wanted to check on these macros or should I change,I will up my cal to 2600 in 10 days if no change.
Thanks[/quote]

you’re eating too healthy to gain substantial weight.
Just follow the FDA regulations. AKA food pyramid.
70% carbs
20% protein
10% fats

It’s how americans get fat

If you really want to gain weight, go to 3000 kcals, 40%carbs, 30%prot, 30% fat will get you weight without too much fat. Or you can carb cycle and go low carb on your non lifting days. But regardless you need to eat more to gain weight.
1g-1.5g of prot per lb of lean body mass is a recipe for trying to lose weight (IMO) for overweight people. Someone as lean as you are can go for 1.5 - 2g per lb of total body weight, not lean body weight.