T Nation

Program Advice?

I was wondering about program progression recently and figured that I would get a lot of sound advice on this board. I'm guessing that you'll need some background first, so here goes: Age - 37, former wrestler then triathlete (yep, I ran a lot), years training 3+ with weights after a long layoff from my wrestling days. I started back 6 months ago with WSSB because I'm just plain weak (BP - 250, DL - 325, Strict Chins - 12 up from 155 / 225 / 6) and have gotten pretty good results with this program. I'm not currently involved with any athletics outside of chasing my kids (3 of them under the age of 5) although I'd like to get back into a grappling sport once I have more free time (i.e. can bring the kids to class with me).

Based on this my goals are: gain more strength and size (currently 5'11" @195 up from 178 at ~12%BF) and maintain general fitness. I've thought about a 5x5 type program or the Waterbury Method but I'm not sure if I'm ready with my limited background. I want to get strong but I understand that this takes time, so I'm in no rush, and don't want to burn out. The only reason that I'm considering changing from WSSB is that it appears to be more geared towards athletes and I'd like to take advantage of not having to run/condition/practice as prescribed in the program. Any advice or comments would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks for reading.

If you've been doing WSSB, I think that you'll do fine moving into the Waterbury programs. I did really well with ABBH I&II. Good luck.