T Nation

Program Advice

Hello Guys,

This is what I am currently running and would like some advice on it. I am thinking for tuesday deadlift should be sumo or deficit deadlift. That would give me Saturday conventional pull (How I always pull), sumo or deficit deadlift on tuesday, Thursday would be pause work at 3 reps for intensity.

Saturday â?? Main Lifts
- Squat x5 @9RPE â?? 6-4 Fatigue Drop
- Bench x5 @9RPE â?? 6-4 Fatigue Drop
- Deadlift x5 @9RPE â?? 6-4 Fatigue Drop
Sunday â?? GPP Day
- T-bar rows x6 for 7 mins
- Standing DB Press x6 for 7 mins
- Lat Pull Down x6 for 7 mins
- DB Curls x6 for 7 mins
- Dips x6 for 7 mins
- Cable Crunches x6 for 7 mins
Tuesday â?? Main Lifts
- Squat x5 @9RPE â?? 6-4 Fatigue Drop
- Bench x5 @9RPE â?? 6-4 Fatigue Drop
- Deadlift x5 @9RPE â?? 6-4 Fatigue Drop
Thursday â?? Main Lifts
- Pause Squat x3 @9RPE â?? 6-4 Fatigue Drop
- Pause Bench x3 @9RPE â?? 6-4 Fatigue Drop
- Pause Deadlift x3 @9RPE â?? 6-4 Fatigue Drop

Sets
2x5 = Bar
1x5 = 50%
1x3 = 60%
1x2= 70%
1x1= 80%
WS1 = 90%
WS2=95%
Top Set=100% or more depending on feel at WS#2.
Time limit for each exercise is 22 mins.

That’s not really a program. It’s a list of exercises and reps and intensity but no progression.

Also, working that close to maximum effort that often won’t do you any favours. You’ll just end up grinding all the time and ingraining poor technique.

Your GPP day looks weird to say the least and not particularly effective.

Why is 22 minutes so important?

So, in summary, answer these questions:

1. what are your goals? Do you have short, medium and long term goals?
  2. where are you in relation to those goals?
  3. how long are you giving yourself to achieve your short and medium term goals?
  4. will your approach above help you do this?

How did your last program go?

OP, I don’t want to be an aass but sometimes you need to be. This program has been written in collaboration with many knowledgeable folk and had has worked for lots of people. A customised program is always going to be superior to a cookie cutter but what you’ve done here is added random volume and exercises and I think made it a bunch worse. I don’t quite get how you’ve come to where you are besides you think more is better.

So why don’t we take a step back. How was the original program letting you down and what was your thinking behind the changes you made to it?

I have actually changed this a lot after really looking at it.

Saturday - Hypertrophy (75%) 4x8 (32 reps)
Squat
Bench
Deadlift

Sunday - GPP Day
Still the same. I changed out lat pull downs for facepulls for shoulder health, doing reps of 15.
But i think its a pretty all around good workout for my needs. Dips for triceps, Shoulder press, facepulls for shoulders, Rows for back of course, DB Curls for well just because really like rest of the world. Cable Crunches for core, I was doing leg raises but have been getting good results with cable crunches (Standing). Opposite motion from the deadlift.

Tuesday - Strength (85%) 4x5 (20 Reps)
Squat
Bench
Deadlift

Thursday - Strength (95%) 4x3 (12 Reps)
Squat
Bench
Deadlift

Progression is using my E1RM, you calculate it per workout on your numbers. Add 5 to 10 pounds. Once i stall ill switch to more volume and try adding every week, etc.

Will also be monitoring volume WeightXSetXreps per workout/week/month, to make sure its always climbing.

So you’ve given us zero idea about what you’re trying to accomplish, taken at least one program and made it worse and now have presented another program you want us to comment on.

I would like to know:

1. What your goals are
  2. How progressed/successful you are
  3. How you think a bunch of proven programs will not meet your needs
  4. How these changes improve these programs

This feels very much like throwing a bunch of mud at something and hoping it sticks.

1, Goals - Gain the most strength on the 3 lifts.
2, Lifts are not the best but for 129lbs guy, I am sitting at a 230LBS Bench 1RM (Tested), 342.5 Deadlift (Tested), 300 Squat (Been messing around with different stances, etc.)
3, Didnt like the progression and cookie cutter programs. Want to learn to program for my needs with (High Volume), Med/Strength/volume Day, Heavy intensity Day. (Like Dup method, but was trying to autoregulate with some RTS (New at reading RPE, but fairly accurate)
4, Makes the program more adaptable as a lifter becomes more experienced instead of plugging in numbers and following a set routine made by someone eles. How can someone take pride in there gains? Must be a mechanic thing.

The change i did is following DUP methods almost to the tee. Instead of introducing RTS to it, I am going to wait and learn it a little more.

Throwing mud at something and hoping for it to stick is sometimes how people learn. Trial and Error? But some people like to throw mud and get advice while doing it.

[quote]tsantos wrote:
So you’ve given us zero idea about what you’re trying to accomplish, taken at least one program and made it worse and now have presented another program you want us to comment on.

I would like to know:

1. What your goals are
  2. How progressed/successful you are
  3. How you think a bunch of proven programs will not meet your needs
  4. How these changes improve these programs

This feels very much like throwing a bunch of mud at something and hoping it sticks.[/quote]

[quote]Millwrong12 wrote:
I have actually changed this a lot after really looking at it.

Saturday - Hypertrophy (75%) 4x8 (32 reps)
Squat
Bench
Deadlift

Sunday - GPP Day
Still the same. I changed out lat pull downs for facepulls for shoulder health, doing reps of 15.
But i think its a pretty all around good workout for my needs. Dips for triceps, Shoulder press, facepulls for shoulders, Rows for back of course, DB Curls for well just because really like rest of the world. Cable Crunches for core, I was doing leg raises but have been getting good results with cable crunches (Standing). Opposite motion from the deadlift.

Tuesday - Strength (85%) 4x5 (20 Reps)
Squat
Bench
Deadlift

Thursday - Strength (95%) 4x3 (12 Reps)
Squat
Bench
Deadlift

Progression is using my E1RM, you calculate it per workout on your numbers. Add 5 to 10 pounds. Once i stall ill switch to more volume and try adding every week, etc.

Will also be monitoring volume WeightXSetXreps per workout/week/month, to make sure its always climbing.

[/quote]

%'s are too high. Drop by 10, IMHO. If you’re feeling good that day, do extra reps on the last set. Consider also that you’re going to be fatigued a bit from squatting. I would also bench first on one of those days.

Yeah the percents are too high. This workout drained me, could see myself burning out by end of the week.

Think I will change them to 70% Hypertrophy, 80% For the strength and power days? Try that