Program Advice

Hey guys, just competed in my first meet and I’m officially hooked lol. I wouldnt say I’m a beginner, but not really intermediate either. Current PRs are 340 squat, 270 pause bench, 500 deadlift. Just been having a lot of difficulty figuring out what programming would work best.

So far this is what I’ve come up with.
Bench day…either Ed coan bench routine…or 5 singles of pause bench, and add 5 lbs a week. Probably close grip or incline work afterwards with Skullcrushers.
Squats…5x3, starting at 80% of max. Add 10 lbs every week as long as all reps and sets are hit.
Deadlift…Ed coan routine.
Secondary chest/shoulder day…Either heavy close grip bench or OHP, followed by 3x8 of side laterals and other shoulder work.

I’m 165 lbs, competing raw. Tryin to keep it more basic, but high intensity and milk some noob gains I feel I still have
Any input is greatly appreciated,thanks.

Week 1 - work 5’s starting at 50%
Week 2 - work 3’s starting at 50%
Week 3 - work 2’s starting at 50%
Week 4 - work up to 3x8 at 50%
Week 5 - same as week 1
Week 6 - same as week 2
Week 7 - work singles starting at 80% (50%x5 60%x3 70%x2 then 80%x1 and keep going up)
Week 8 - same as week 4

Work up until you miss the required reps or stop when you know the next jump won’t allow the required reps.

Depending on your ability, you should make 10 or 20lb jumps, but whichever you decide for a single training session, keep the jumps the same. Don’t have one set jumping 20 and the next jumping 10.

I generally use 45/25/10 lb plates to accomplish this - it keeps it very simple for me.

Week 7 you have an option. Keep doing singles making the normal jumps or make the bigger jumps and try for a new PR w/o all the extra volume. It’s simple and very effective. Don’t need to compute percentages. Move some weight. My bench at 2 yrs of training was at 310 and training this way I am at 360 at the 3 year mark - 50lbs in 1 year.

You get all the volume you want, you get the heavy training you want and it’s all auto regulating dependent upon how you feel that day. You don’t have to worry about hitting a certain number. Just get in the required reps.

Let’s say you’re doing 5’s and you can’t get 275x5 so you stop at 245x5. The next time you’ll be doing 3’s so you’ll be able to get to the 275lb weight then.

In all honestly, most programs w/ a variation in intensity from week to week will work. I like this because I don’t have to sit down and calculate a bunch of percentages and have to hit a pre-determined plan. This is the best auto regulating program out there and will add a lot of weight to your lifts and by far the most simple to apply.

Focus on the main lifts and very little on the assistance stuff.

you could do 5/3/1, cube, or any number of other proven programs. at this stage i would not worry so much about a lift specific program though.

Yeah um trying to not get caught up in lift specific. Main focus though is improving my squat atm more than bench and dead.

Something to consider…

Thanks rampant, that routine actually looks very promising and similiar to something I’ve been looking for.

You need volume. Matt’s program is an 8 week football pre-season peaking program. Build your work capacity. Peak strength has a time and place.

[quote]osu122975 wrote:
Week 5 - same as week 1
Week 6 - same as week 2
Week 7 - work singles starting at 80% (50%x5 60%x3 70%x2 then 80%x1 and keep going up)
Week 8 - same as week 4
[/quote]
I’m stealing this for my future after 5/3/1

[quote]chobbs wrote:

[quote]osu122975 wrote:
Week 5 - same as week 1
Week 6 - same as week 2
Week 8 - same as week 4
[/quote]
I’m stealing this for my future after 5/3/1[/quote]

Do it! Programs are a waste of time. Methods and principles rule! Figure out what works for you and use it - it should be literally endless. You can also use 8’s and 10’s if you want to stretch it out to 12 weeks instead of 8. Remember tho, even in this - you have the ability to add 5lbs here or there to break a rep record w/ a particular weight. Just customize it to how you feel that day but the goal is, DO NOT MISS.

Listen to your body. There are NO top level lifters following someone else’s program. There’s nothing better to regulate intensity like reps.

You can also do the first cycle using only 45/25/10’s and then the next cycle make 20lb jumps so you’re using different weights.

EX: 45/25/10 - 185/205/225/245/275/295/315/335/365
20lb jumps - 185/205/225/245/265/285/305/325/345/365

I was going to make a thread on my progress with sheiko but wasn’t sure people would bee bothered. I have all the templates if you’re interested. Basically my bench on was 143kg it was stuck at that for a year, I did sheiko #29 (4 weeks) tested my bench at the end and got 150kg out easy and just failed 155kg.

My squat was 185raw and no with wraps I hit a comfy 220kg @92kg bw my dreads stayed the same but I’m moving on to sheiko cms which means ill be doing an extra deadliest day hoping to get that up too. Do many here use sheiko?