Profits from Global Warming?

Ideas for making profits from this? My thought would be to somehow invest in nuclear power. Ideas, tips?

I know it sound a little crass but we can’t stop it. Why not make a lot of money so you can live in the remaining nice places on earth?

HH

At least invest in the kind of thing that smaller businesses can profit from, like wind or solar. At least these don’t have the toxic waste issues associated with nuclear.

PBW Exchange Traded Fund for clean energy.

Tomorrow may be a good day to buy. Technically it has broken through a support level but that may just be a glitch from todays geopolitical turmoil. If it can get back above 18 Friday or Monday and hold, it is a buy.

The problem I have personally with this fund is I don’t know weather I should trade it for it’s volatility or to hold it because I like the idea of a basket of clean energy stocks for the long run.

This is not the kind of fund you put a big portion of your assets into. Unless, of course, you’re 23 and want to take a shot at a big payday.

[quote]Headhunter wrote:
Ideas for making profits from this? My thought would be to somehow invest in nuclear power. Ideas, tips?

I know it sound a little crass but we can’t stop it. Why not make a lot of money so you can live in the remaining nice places on earth?

HH[/quote]

The scientist that was silenced by NASA, as I recall, claimed that nuclear power was the thing that could save us. So you might want to.

I, of course, do not want one in my backyard.

[quote]Headhunter wrote:

HH[/quote]

I looked at this a few years ago but I found that most of the major reactor producing companies are subsidiaries of major conglomerates, meaning that the effects any boom in nuclear demand would be heavily diluted by the fortunes of the rest of the company. On the startup end there are a few VC firms specializing in high tech energy startups, but of course you need the resources to invest in a VC firm.

[quote]Headhunter wrote:

HH[/quote]
If you have enough $$$ to invest in nuclear power, you can already live in the nicest places on earth.

You can invest in companies that invest in nukes, but even then, you’re investing in the whole company. The cost to build is so high that only the biggest companies can afford to undertake the effort. Too many headaches for the amount of $$$ they have to spend to develop the plants. The trend right now in the U.S. is towards clean burning pulverized coal plants or IGCC.

It could be a different story elsewhere in the world though.

DB

Think long term, build an arc.

Invest in air conditioners.

[quote]Headhunter wrote:

HH[/quote]

Let’s just get this straight: nuclear energy is a non-renewable resource. Nuclear fuel originally comes out of the ground, just like oil or gas.

I heard a stat recently that we only had enough nuclear fuel for fifty years at current levels of use, but I have no idea how accurate that is.

I’m not saying nuclear is a bad investment, but I just wanted to point that out, since a lot of people see nuclear as this never-ending resource.

Beach resorts in Nevada

Any company investing heavily in material science research. That’s where the biggest energy savings will come from, IMO.

I’d build a thermal depolymerization plant.

http://www.discover.com/issues/may-03/features/featoil

The first one I’d build would be designed for used tires, then one for general garbage and trash. Go on from there.

The “carbon sink” concept would sell as a curb to “greenhouse gasses”. But add in the obvious real benefit of decreased pollution, and it’s very attractive. Especially in impoverished 3rd world countries already polluted beyond what most Americans can imagine, and badly needing energy.

Also, polymer and ceramic internal combustion engines.

Start taking orders for penguins as pets.

[quote]Patrick Williams wrote:

The first one I’d build would be designed for used tires, then one for general garbage and trash. Go on from there.

The “carbon sink” concept would sell as a curb to “greenhouse gasses”. But add in the obvious real benefit of decreased pollution, and it’s very attractive. Especially in impoverished 3rd world countries already polluted beyond what most Americans can imagine, and badly needing energy.

Also, polymer and ceramic internal combustion engines.[/quote]

I am skeptical of this but they claim they are actually producing oil in quantity now.

We shall find out shortly if it is the real deal.

[quote]Patrick Williams wrote:

Also, polymer and ceramic internal combustion engines.[/quote]

I’m not an engineer, but if this pans out the world should give the biggest collective ‘Thank you!’ to this man and his investors. A virtually limitless energy source! Imagine how this would raise standards of living all around the world!

Now to find a way to invest in it. The problem with a technology in its infancy like this is how to put some of your chips in the pot.

HH

Buy marginal swampland. It’s cheap and useless now and will be dry farmland in another couple decades… :wink:

Alternately… breeder reactors.

[quote]vroom wrote:
Buy marginal swampland. It’s cheap and useless now and will be dry farmland in another couple decades… ;)[/quote]

I thought the whole world was going to flood.

Maybe Ohio will be the next Florida. Hey, we’ve got Cedar Point after all!!
:slight_smile:
HH

[quote]Zap Branigan wrote:
I thought the whole world was going to flood.[/quote]

I see you been paying close attention as usual…