Professor ....

I know this seems like an every changing story, its kind of a long string of events leading up to this over the past few weeks.

Like I said, Im not going to that gym anymore…so its kind of a moot point.

I think the only part of the whole story that was relevent was the “Im 147 lbs and Iv been training for 8 months, so I think Im ready to compete” part…I should have left the rest out.

This is one of many reason why I work out at home. As I get older, I have less and less time for idiots.

[quote]Avoids Roids wrote:
This is one of many reason why I work out at home. As I get older, I have less and less time for idiots.[/quote]

The thing is, when the people are serious and the gym has the equipment, it can be the most inspiring environment you can imagine.

It just means we have a lot of people to kill.

The gym ididots are a great form of entertainment in between sets. I have a smile on my face right now just thinking about those window lickers

[quote]Professor X wrote:
Avoids Roids wrote:
This is one of many reason why I work out at home. As I get older, I have less and less time for idiots.

The thing is, when the people are serious and the gym has the equipment, it can be the most inspiring environment you can imagine.

It just means we have a lot of people to kill.[/quote]

Exactly. If I could pick my ideal gym population, everyone would be bigger and stronger than me so I could be inspired and learn. However, if that were the case, I would probably then be one of the ‘shunned’ idiots. :slight_smile:

Window lickers are the people who take the short bus to school and you guessed it lick the windows all the way there (just picture it)

[quote]fightingtiger wrote:
Iv tried to explain things to him…like why he should work back as well as chest and biceps, instead of working chest 3 times a week and throwing in some leg extensions for a “leg day”.

Or why he shouldnt arch his back on the rare occasion that he does rack pulls.

I wont see him in there again until maybe summer, Im going back to school and my basement gym tomorrow afternoon.

He tried to tell me how to build a bigger back the other day. Completely unsolicited.

However, I did give him my truprotein discount code, so hopefully, hell talk mommy and daddy into spending lots of money there and Ill get some free stuff.[/quote]

personally, id just like to know why you think he shouldnt be keeping a small arch in his back doing rack pulls? do you deadlift with a rounded lower back?

Maybe I used the term arched incorrectly…

Rounded would be a better way to put it. He was doing what you shouldnt do unless you really want to slip a disk.

[quote]CaliforniaLaw wrote:
This is a classic example of what happens when you socialize with the weight room plebians. The sooner you realize that people are small and weak for a reason, the sooner you’ll attain weightroom contentment.[/quote]

LOL! plebians

Last time I worked out regularly in a commercial gym I was there in mid afternoon all the time and had the place almost totally to myself and thus didn’t have to deal with much irritation.

I’m with Avoids Roids though. I love training at home. I can engineer the entire atmosphere/environment to my liking. That isn’t to say that I wouldn’t still like to have a membership in the right gym for a few reasons if I could afford both.

[quote]SwampThing wrote:
Or direct him to this website.

[/quote]

So, please do. I am sure with his attitude (I am all that and a bag of chips) he will post a pic immediately.

Go ahead, feed him to the wolves.

My intention were good when I said that, however, im sure he would probably just be a drag on everyone else. With that kinda attitude anyways.

Nomination for a Strong Words quote.

This is why I train in my own private gym. It’s very easy to get used to.

[quote]tom63 wrote:
This is why I train in my own private gym. It’s very easy to get used to.[/quote]

Same here. My place beats (almost) any gym I’ve ever trained in.

There’s a gym in the next town over and it’s a dungeon. Powerlifters and bodybuilders that remind me of the Westside videos. That kid wouldn’t last two workouts before the owner threw his ass out.

[quote]derek wrote:
tom63 wrote:
This is why I train in my own private gym. It’s very easy to get used to.

Same here. My place beats (almost) any gym I’ve ever trained in.

There’s a gym in the next town over and it’s a dungeon. Powerlifters and bodybuilders that remind me of the Westside videos. That kid wouldn’t last two workouts before the owner threw his ass out.

[/quote]

I bought stuff over 15 years and now I have literally everything I need. the only drawback is lifting heavy and getting some help, but that can still be a problem in a regular gym.

fightingtiger wrote:
He came to my friend and I bragging before I ever offered advice.

All the more reason to ignore him.

eengrms76 wrote:
I still don’t understand why anyone cares what others do in the gym.

I’ll admit that if there are enough of these guys training around you, it can be distracting. It may also be time to change gyms. Your environment can affect your workout no matter how loud you turn up your MP3 player.

This is why I would rather train later at night than deal with gym rush hour. However, there is no reason to engage these people unless they ask for help or you know them well enough to know that your time isn’t being wasted.

For all of the little guys complaining that they don’t get respect in the gym, there are way too many who just don’t deserve it.[/quote]

Well put.
A lot of those guys seem to FORGET that respect is something you earn,not just suddenly get.
And they’re sure as hell not going to earn respect trying to do BB Shows at 145 pounds!

[quote]fightingtiger wrote:
needs to have a 24 hour hot line.

I was at the gym today and there was this kid…probably 16 or so walking around with his arms puffed out to his side…you know…that old “invisible lat syndrome”. Anyways, he was pumping away at the leg extensions.

I walked over to him and asked if he was doing legs that day and then if he was planning on squatting. I said that since the gym only has two power racks, if he wanted, he could work in with me when he got to squats. He said cool and when he came over to work in, he started with 225 on the bar and went down maybe 4 inches. I told him he should try going deeper, to which he responded “Im a bodybuilder, not one of those strongman guys”.

I told him that he should watch any one of Ronnie or Jay’s videos and see how deep they squat. He responded to this with “I dont need to go deep because I dont want to get too big”.

It gets better, he walked off after two sets becasue he had to “train” his friend. I got a kick out of him showing his friend how to do everything the complete wrong way…including 4 inch squats, clean and curls (which, btw, he decided to brag about how much he could do to my friend…completely uninvited), dumbell fly-presses, etc.

I was getting ready to leave them gym and this guy comes up to me and asks me what kind of protein I use…I tell him where I get my whey from and he says “Yeah…I dont really take much right now, but Im going to start taking a lot of stuff so I can lean out in March.”

This kid is 5’10", 145 lbs.

I asked why he would ever want to lean out, and he said that hes doing a show in April.

I told him he should reconsider and maybe wait 3 or 4 more years because, simply put, hes not big at all.

He responded to this with “Well, Iv been training for almost 8 months now, so I think Im big enough.”

Wheres the prof. when you need him?[/quote]

I hope I compete against tools like this in my comp.

It would be cool to have some one who would walk around your gym and tell people wats up some one who actualy knew what they were talking about the only thing is they would have to be realy mean and load about it so others could enjoy the view and comments

[quote]n3wb wrote:
It would be cool to have some one who would walk around your gym and tell people wats up some one who actualy knew what they were talking about the only thing is they would have to be realy mean and load about it so others could enjoy the view and comments[/quote]

Yeah, they used to be called “personal trainers” back when most of them actually looked like bodybuilders and often competed themselves before the new wave of skinny fuckers took over. In the late 80’s and early 90’s there were no skinny personal trainers who did well. Most of them looked like serious trainers, at least at every gym I saw.

Now that the trainers are smaller than most of the serious lifters, the gyms are now filled with half assed lifters who think they know more than everyone else because they read an internet article…in spite of their arms looking like they belong on school girls.

Of course, they will all claim that size isn’t everything…even though any stripper will tell you otherwise.

Yeah, they used to be called “personal trainers” back when most of them actually looked like bodybuilders and often competed themselves before the new wave of skinny fuckers took over. In the late 80’s and early 90’s there were no skinny personal trainers who did well. Most of them looked like serious trainers, at least at every gym I saw.

Now that the trainers are smaller than most of the serious lifters, the gyms are now filled with half assed lifters who think they know more than everyone else because they read an internet article…in spite of their arms looking like they belong on school girls.

Of course, they will all claim that size isn’t everything…even though any stripper will tell you otherwise.[/quote]

Heh, personal trainers at the Gold’s I frequent are fat. I am sure they have some advice for people looking to put on LBM and cut fat. I personally refuse their assistance.