Professor X: A Request (Cont'd)

[quote]Professor X wrote:
You won’t be seeing much growth in only 4 weeks unless you just started or are on cycle. Building a lot of size takes time. You won’t be going from wearing mediums to XXL’s in MONTHS unless its because of your waist.[/quote]

My limited experience is very much the same as what X put above… I find even as a beginner myself that it takes around 3 months to see any major changes starting to happen in my physique… And of course it will take more and more time as you get more advanced.

By the way OP I will be checking up on you in a few months as I feel responsible now since I have given you advice.

I’m going to stop posting now as I think you have all the advice you need.

I would recommend he spend a day blasting arms and see no problem with doing them and back on the same day…LIKE I FREAKING USED TO DO IT.

Why would training arms directly be bad and why would I ONLY do them as a last toss in only if I had time for it?

I wanted to be big so I trained everything. I think nothing is sillier than this “I only train arms occasionally” approach.

[quote]austin_bicep wrote:
Man that Prfoessor X, he’s a big guy[/quote]

It’s like you post now just to see that name dangle on screen.
[/quote]

Hey hey, I was giving you a compliment.

Man that Prfoessor X, he’s a big guy[/quote]

It’s like you post now just to see that name dangle on screen.
[/quote]

Hey hey, I was giving you a compliment.[/quote]

Oh, it sounded like it.

I would recommend he spend a day blasting arms and see no problem with doing them and back on the same day…LIKE I FREAKING USED TO DO IT.[/quote]
I will bet you that if he posts pictures his arms are in proportion to his physique.

[quote]
Why would training arms directly be bad and why would I ONLY do them as a last toss in only if I had time for it?[/quote]
Prof, your a bodybuilder and not a beginner.
A rank noob doesn’t need to lift like a bodybuilder to gain mass.
Saying any more than this is arguing semantics.

[quote]
I wanted to be big so I trained everything. I think nothing is sillier than this “I only train arms occasionally” approach.[/quote]
I never said “occasionally.”
I throw in a few sets of triceps after chest and a few sets of biceps after training back if I have more time and energy I will throw in more sets.

Guy, no one is arguing against the fact that the guy with a chest over 50" is likely to have arms that match instead of ever seeing some guy with 20" arms and a 36" chest. I am saying there is no need at all for a beginner to act like their biceps need LESS attention than everything else.

They don’t.

They never did.

Train everything.

Thanks for all the responses so far.

[quote]JLone wrote:
Do you get the point of my post? You spent the first 3 years not eating enough to gain so what do you want Prof-X to tell you?[/quote]
Sure, I totally get what you’re saying. My real training has only been 3 months. However, now that I’m eating enough wouldn’t you expect that I would at least of noticed some sort of visible LBM gain in those 3 months? Clearly something else in those last 3 months has been wrong.

Since when do I hate 150lbs people asking what to do? [/quote]
Sorry, I guess I should have changed that to “must hate”. Answering these type of forum questions for 10 odd years must get tiring, so I really appreciate you taking the time to reply.

Bodybuilding is about FOOD and VOLUME. No one gets huge training 2 times a week. No one gets huge avoiding meals. No one gets huge without getting a hell of a lot stronger. [/quote]
What in your opinion would constitute sufficient volume? Am I right in saying you used to do 6 sessions per week at around 35mins each? I’ve probably only been averaging about 30mins x 3-4 per week so far.

]I would recommend he spend a day blasting arms and see no problem with doing them and back on the same day…LIKE I FREAKING USED TO DO IT. [/quote]
So you think doing something like: Chest + Tri, Back + Bi, Shoulders and Legs 4 days per week? Or maybe just lose the rest days and keep it on a continuous cycle?

[quote]Mr White wrote:
By the way OP I will be checking up on you in a few months as I feel responsible now since I have given you advice.[/quote]
Thanks for taking the time to post the program. It does look pretty good although I’m not sure how I’ll manage to do 12 exercises at 3-6 sets + warmups each in one workout and still manage to handle decent weights by the end. So maybe a 4 way split is the answer.

OP, how much have your lifts increased in the last 3 months? that should be indicative of your growth and progress.

Added about 10-15lbs to each lift I’d say and am now stuck on everything for the past 2 weeks.

and have you tried eating more (maybe around 500 kcal to start) to get over this hump?

Didn’t try that yet. My maintenance is around 2100 kcal (computer programmer day job, basically no other physical activity). I’m currently eating 3000 kcal. Since I’ve mainly gained fat in the last 3 months of eating like this, I sense that adding more calories, whilst I’m sure it will help with strength, will just make me even fatter (assuming all other variables remain the same). Or do you think it’s possible that I’m in some kind of caloric purgatory where I’m eating enough to gain fat, but not enough to gain muscle/strength?

PX,

Are you a fan of pre-exhausting muscles with an isolation before a big lift?

Make a training and food log. Record everything you lift and eat for two months. Reevaluate yourself. Then come back to this same thread, post the link to the log, and ask specific questions or for critiquing.

My 2 cents

]I would recommend he spend a day blasting arms and see no problem with doing them and back on the same day…LIKE I FREAKING USED TO DO IT. [/quote]
So you think doing something like: Chest + Tri, Back + Bi, Shoulders and Legs 4 days per week? Or maybe just lose the rest days and keep it on a continuous cycle?

.[/quote]

lol maybe, your options are endless. id have a day off though keeps you from getting burned out try maybe
chest/tri, back/bi, shoulers, legs, OFF repeat.

chest - two compounds movements 6-9 sets (id start at the lower end for sets and adjust from there as you progress)
tri - two isolations 6-9 sets

back - same as chest
bi - same as tri

shoulders - i like to do all isolations and work my traps

legs - two compounds and two isolations, calves and stuff can go on this day too

simple and easy

[quote]Nexic wrote:
What in your opinion would constitute sufficient volume? Am I right in saying you used to do 6 sessions per week at around 35mins each? I’ve probably only been averaging about 30mins x 3-4
per week so far.[/quote]

Dude, when I did 6 sessions a week, I was using weights that most people don’t use. What I mean is, for someone going all out past intermediate level, that 35min is going to look a hell of a lot different than what a newb would be doing. I seriously doubt how well you are working out as a beginner if you are in and out the gym in 30min.

30min 3 or 4 times a week is so minimal it is no wonder you got fat.

There is nothing wrong with either if your body is recovering from it.

[quote]therajraj wrote:
PX,

Are you a fan of pre-exhausting muscles with an isolation before a big lift?[/quote]

No. The only muscle I “pre-exhaust” is my biceps because my brachioradialis fires first and cramps up. I have to fatigue it just to train my biceps heavy.

So…do you do direct arm work or not?

Off topic, but you are looking rly good as you lean down, Prof. I hope you get to single digits.

Lots of big dudes posting in this thread. I am enjoying.

did you take that photo in a resturant? lol

***edit - you sneaky SOB

[quote]bugeishaAD wrote:
Off topic, but you are looking rly good as you lean down, Prof. I hope you get to single digits.

Lots of big dudes posting in this thread. I am enjoying.[/quote]

I appreciate that. I will probably save leaning down further for Spring. My goal right now is to not let these injuries hold me back too much. I will likely go up for now but try to keep tighter reigns on my waist this time. If I showed you a pic of what I looked like at my most depleted during all of this it would look like two different people. I only look that filled out from eating more the last 4 days. I can see veins on my triceps right now…which never happened before.

I want to get back to the weight I was in CO and hold that for a while hopefully leaner. Now that I know how to get the weight off and have a solid plan in place, it isn’t that difficult.

More than anything, I learned cardio is HIGHLY overrated and that I was fucking up big time all of those years before by thinking I needed to do so much of it.

Complexes and frequent training work if the nutrition is there.