Professional Back Training

Apparently this stuff is impossible to do naturally, but my back only started growing once I started emulating Yates’ workout twice a week. It really made me think about elbow positioning, exercise selection, and form. If I still had access to any hammer strength equipment, I’d be doing this still.

What’s your goal with this thread? =)

I want a freakish back, and haven’t found a better way than his so far.

here’s him coaching Lobliner through it:

The Y handle pull downs I find hit my lats perfectly with a good squeeze at the bottom.

EDIT: Like done in the second video.

[quote]Tatsu wrote:
What’s your goal with this thread? =)[/quote]
:confused:

Any excuse to post a clip from Blood and Guts is fine by me. That’s probably one of my favorite BB videos ever.

“It’s a big weight… for a small woman.” … then he rows 405x6. F’n classic.

[quote]browndisaster wrote:
It really made me think about elbow positioning, exercise selection, and form.[/quote]
That’s one thing, and it’s effective for sure. But if you’re referring to his HIT stuff like forced reps, tons of drop sets, and the like, let’s just remember how many injuries Yates racked up through his career.

How do you track progress with that type of training ?

[quote]Chris Colucci wrote:

[quote]Tatsu wrote:
What’s your goal with this thread? =)[/quote]
:confused:

Any excuse to post a clip from Blood and Guts is fine by me. That’s probably one of my favorite BB videos ever.

“It’s a big weight… for a small woman.” … then he rows 405x6. F’n classic.

[/quote]
Not giving it up yet. :stuck_out_tongue:

Apparently this stuff is impossible to do naturally, but my back only started growing once I started emulating Yates’ workout twice a week. It really made me think about elbow positioning, exercise selection, and form. If I still had access to any hammer strength equipment, I’d be doing this still.

What is this, a trailer for a new Guy Ritchie movie?

[quote]TheDon12 wrote:
How do you track progress with that type of training ? [/quote]

Same as any other.

[quote]Iron Dwarf wrote:

[quote]TheDon12 wrote:

Same as any other.[/quote]

Yeah but how do you actually quantify the work you actually did ? Do I not count in the forced reps ?

did a Yates’ inspired session today. I did more volume, but the weight per set about half of what he used haha.

As far as progression, I think it’s the same as most everything else. more weight and/or reps = progression, as long as you don’t hump the bar or kip the legs just to add 10 lbs to a row or pullup

Chris I definitely agree with you regarding HIT, I took away the exercise selection and form from Yates’ more than the HIT philosophy. I think too many people focus on the “one set to super failure” concept.

I don’t hesitate to use a belt any more or use exercise variations that are safer (like chest supported rear flies instead of bent ones). Also, I’m not using nearly the same weight or pushing myself as hard as Yates, with his ammonia sniffing and angry pirate lifting partner.

[quote]TheDon12 wrote:

[quote]Iron Dwarf wrote:

[quote]TheDon12 wrote:

Same as any other.[/quote]

Yeah but how do you actually quantify the work you actually did ? Do I not count in the forced reps ? [/quote]
Unfortunately, I haven’t had training partners like Dorian’s. Even if I did, I would just write down the reps I got on my own, then write the forced reps next to it. ie pullovers 250 8, 8 + 2

I think you’d quantify progress only by the self-done reps. A big focus is not changing your form just to squeeze out “progress” on the log book. Actual progression, especially on some of the isolated moves, will be very gradual. It’s definitely good in these cases to focus on doing your best each session, and not getting worked up if you don’t PR every session, as long as long term gains are there.

Well, in our gym a trainer and Bodybuilder (still yearly competitor in venice beach, former BB)claimed to to train with Yates and he is actionly doing blood and gutes with his clients.

I think if such a trainign style is possible or not depends of course of sterios but genetics too.

In his regime he always shoots for 6-8 reps. If you just get 6 a parnter assist in +2. If you get 8 on your own leave it there.
Generally he does 2 warm up sets and only ONE work set on each exercise. 3 day split and 3-4 exercises per mouscle group.
To keep things happy i think and to benefit his income he switches out the exercises of his clients every 6 weeks and adds in my eyes randomly stuff like supersets,dropsets and the classic FLEX stuff.

But aside that a former school collague of mine hired him after 3 years of non sucessfull training and he really blowed up by 20 pounds (LBM) in one year. He is not on roids (too greedy and too much worried about his health-no alcohol,no smoking).

He also competeted at venice beach last year, but messed up the diet part. Also I would never compete in venice without roids.

He said he never looked back and will as long as possible train with his coach. He has passion,is agressevely to the weight, good technique and really earned his progress. His back was insane and he did deads for 8 reps with 180kg at 78kg Bodyweight.

I also hired the named coach out of interest but it was not mine.I burned out as hell. He lives in his own world with his own training concepts he invented (or copied) in the 80´s and 90´s and is not really open to other training styles nor interested. He has no clue of HST,DC, MAX OT. He didn´t even know the word “periodization” which amazed me.

Well the cue of the story: Find what works for you. No matter what science or others say or if you have the correct wording for different things.

Its your body, your time and your sucess.

I see. Well not to sound douche but not taking the sets past failure majes the whole workout so much easier. . I d prolly add 4 more exercises… at the moment I do most of my sets and still feel fine… seems like hit training usnt intense enough

2nd video
Night and day in the way the reps are performed by Yates and the other guy.

I do Smith’s Beyond Failure Training a.k.a. Demon Training but with twice the volume. And I don’t even do the whole pre/para/post workout nutrition thing. Step up kiddo.

[quote]science wrote:
Well, in our gym a trainer and Bodybuilder (still yearly competitor in venice beach, former BB)claimed to to train with Yates and he is actionly doing blood and gutes with his clients.

I think if such a trainign style is possible or not depends of course of sterios but genetics too.

In his regime he always shoots for 6-8 reps. If you just get 6 a parnter assist in +2. If you get 8 on your own leave it there.
Generally he does 2 warm up sets and only ONE work set on each exercise. 3 day split and 3-4 exercises per mouscle group.
To keep things happy i think and to benefit his income he switches out the exercises of his clients every 6 weeks and adds in my eyes randomly stuff like supersets,dropsets and the classic FLEX stuff.

But aside that a former school collague of mine hired him after 3 years of non sucessfull training and he really blowed up by 20 pounds (LBM) in one year. He is not on roids (too greedy and too much worried about his health-no alcohol,no smoking).

He also competeted at venice beach last year, but messed up the diet part. Also I would never compete in venice without roids.

He said he never looked back and will as long as possible train with his coach. He has passion,is agressevely to the weight, good technique and really earned his progress. His back was insane and he did deads for 8 reps with 180kg at 78kg Bodyweight.

I also hired the named coach out of interest but it was not mine.I burned out as hell. He lives in his own world with his own training concepts he invented (or copied) in the 80Ã?´s and 90Ã?´s and is not really open to other training styles nor interested. He has no clue of HST,DC, MAX OT. He didnÃ?´t even know the word “periodization” which amazed me.

Well the cue of the story: Find what works for you. No matter what science or others say or if you have the correct wording for different things.

[/quote]

This was a very hard read, its like someone copy and pasted a load of random paragraphs together and forgot to spellcheck

On a separate note, when are T-Nation going to make an app or at least make vids posted in threads ipad/phone friendly so I can know what everyone’s talking about and not have to guess what vid was posted and look it up myself??

Sort it out T-Nation!

I had to google that, there’s too much screaming and crying in it for me lol. I much prefer dropsets to partner assisted reps.

I don’t see the whole fetish with going to failure; the reason Dorian had a big back was that he could do stuff like row 400+ strictly halfway through a session.

the reason Dorian had a big back was that he could do stuff like row 400+ strictly halfway through a session.[/quote]

Doubt it. I might be able to do that on a good day with his form.

[quote]lemony2j wrote:

[quote]science wrote:

I also hired the named coach out of interest but it was not mine.I burned out as hell. He lives in his own world with his own training concepts he invented (or copied) in the 80Ã??Ã?´s and 90Ã??Ã?´s and is not really open to other training styles nor interested. He has no clue of HST,DC, MAX OT. He didnÃ??Ã?´t even know the word “periodization” which amazed me.

[/quote]

This was a very hard read, its like someone copy and pasted a load of random paragraphs together and forgot to spellcheck

On a separate note, when are T-Nation going to make an app or at least make vids posted in threads ipad/phone friendly so I can know what everyone’s talking about and not have to guess what vid was posted and look it up myself??

Sort it out T-Nation![/quote]

nah, with some cognitive reasoning you´ll get the cue broseph;)