Product For Lowering Cortisol?

Lowering cortisol seems to be latest topic in the online BB & strength world. Thib just recommended 3 supps he uses daily to lower cortisol in his supps for newbies article:

�?� Glycine 20g

�?� Vitamin C: 1000-1500mg (2x a day)

�?� Phosphatidyl serine 400-800mg

Why hasnt Biotest combined these 3 & thrown a shiny label on a bottle for us? I think it would be a great addition to the stable.

GLycine and vitamin C are pretty cheap, for Vit C just get some chewables at CVS/Walgreens/pharmacy, or eat some oranges PWO. The Glycine you can get at supplement stores.

The other stuff is a little more expensive, but a similar compound is found in Power Drive. (go read the label, it isn’t -serine it’s -choline, I’m not sure of the difference, but Thibs recommends PD big time)

I found glycine at the vitamin shoppe and I would have to take 1/2 the bottle of pills to get 20grams.
Does anyone have a good source for this?

I use glycine powder when I’m really training hard.

It tastes like ass.

lol - how do you know what ass tastes like?

I’m sure his girl sits on his face regularly…kidding.

Glycine also comes in liquid form, sold OTC at the pharmacy according to Thibs (I hope that isn’t just Canada, though).

I HIGHLY recommend taking a 20 min nap after your workouts. Waterbury recommends it and I’ve found it really boosts my recovery. I bet it’s great for cortisol regulation, too.

[quote]PonceDeLeon wrote:
I’m sure his girl sits on his face regularly…kidding.

Glycine also comes in liquid form, sold OTC at the pharmacy according to Thibs (I hope that isn’t just Canada, though).

I HIGHLY recommend taking a 20 min nap after your workouts. Waterbury recommends it and I’ve found it really boosts my recovery. I bet it’s great for cortisol regulation, too.[/quote]

PWO shake drops cortisol levels more than anything. If you can actually fall asleep after your workouts, more power to you though , it certainly couldn’t hurt.

According to the book I’m reading right now, “Nutrient Timing” by Ivy, you would spend your time better by getting your insulin up right after your workouts as that has a great effect on protein synthesis and significantly fights the brief elevated cortisol levels.

Obviously check out what the book says cause I could very well be wrong. I just started reading it a few days ago and don’t have all the information wired yet.

Anyone know if they sell glycine in liquid form in American pharmacies? I’ve only used the powder in the past.

[quote]SFC wrote:
According to the book I’m reading right now, “Nutrient Timing” by Ivy, you would spend your time better by getting your insulin up right after your workouts as that has a great effect on protein synthesis and significantly fights the brief elevated cortisol levels.

Obviously check out what the book says cause I could very well be wrong. I just started reading it a few days ago and don’t have all the information wired yet.[/quote]

Yeah, that’s right, except you don’t need to wait to get your insulin up till after your workout, you raise it before you workout and keep it elevated during your workout to keep cortisol levels in check among other benefits.

[quote]danchubb wrote:
I use glycine powder when I’m really training hard.

It tastes like ass.[/quote]

USP Grade glycine is tasteless, what shit did you buy?

11-T

Are you sure you guys aren’t confusing glycine with glycerine as far as liquid form available at pharmacies?

You guys must have a shit source or quality of Glycine. The Glycine I get actually tastes a little sweet.

Anyone in the UK want a good Glycine source, PM me.

LR

I started trying CT’s PWO formula a few months ago. I work out at night after work and was having a shit time getting to sleep on those nights. I’ve been taking ZMA for years and it helps with T levels but doesn’t realy help with sleep. I added Z-12 when it came out, but I am a negative responder to it and actually stared at the ceiling for 4 nights in a row on it.

I started resaerching what could help and cortisol control came up, which led me to CT’s recommendation. This plus adding some additional PS when I take the ZMA has finally done the trick.

I got Glycine and PS from bulk nutrition. The Glycine is extremely bitter though. A source for a good quality Glycine would be much appreciated. Or Biotest could just put this in their shiny new PWO drink and cover all the bases. :wink:

Glycine I buy here in Aus are sweet crystals…really dont mind taking this with every meal and postworkout.

GJ

This is the glycine I use. I don’t taste it, but it’s mixed with my peri-workout drinks, so all I taste is whey or Crystal Light.

[quote]eggers wrote:
This is the glycine I use. I don’t taste it, but it’s mixed with my peri-workout drinks, so all I taste is whey or Crystal Light.

[/quote]

It tastes sweet and isn’t a problem drinking by itself with water.

I have been taking a gram of vit c and Phosphatidylserine upon waking and PWO on training days.

Glycine is not bitter. It is quite sweet. If what you’re tasting is bitter you might want to check the quality level of your product, i.e. look for a different brand.

Phosphatidylcholine is NOT the same as phosphatidylSERINE, and will NOT have the same cortisol-blunting effects. You want the latter (the serine), and yes, it’s expensive.

Vitamin C ain’t a bad idea but it’s not going to have that much of an effect, even at 1,000 mg doses. But it can’t hurt if you feel like throwing it in there.

The reason I’ll bet Biotest (nor anyone else) will ever make a prepackaged PWO drink mix containing all of the above is that, in the necessary doses to be effective (15 to 20 grams at post-workout time) glycine will make some people very, very nauseous due to some people having liver toxicity issues. They don’t usually have any idea that they have liver toxicity issues until they start taking these big doses of glycine. So not only is 15 to 20 grams too big a dose for many with liver toxicity issues to handle, but you are particularly sensitive to it at post-workout time due to the depleted state your body is in, so if you’re ever going to yack due to glycine-induced nausea, that’s the time you’ll yack. I’ve experienced it (before doing a liver cleanse that took care of the problem). It’s no fun at all.

So if Biotest tried to mass-market such a PWO supplement they’d have a good number (I have no idea what percentage, but a good percentage) of people complaining that they couldn’t tolerate it and it made them hurl.