Processed Foods

I’m in college. I don’t know how to cook. And if I did, for most of the year, I don’t think I’d have the time to cook three or four meals a day, so, roughly one meal (sometimes two meals) per day will come from processed foods (even a sandwich usually has processed meat). Do you consider this to be unhealthy? How much processed food is too much? (Or are the problems related to processed food overblown?)

Jason.

My advice is to get a blender. You don’t to have to be a gourmet chef to know through protein powder, frozen fruit and yoghurt/cottage cheese into a blender. It’s faster than the lunch line in the cafeteria too. There are healthy, extremely easy ways to avoid unhealthy processed foods if you’re motivated to do so.

[quote]jason_m wrote:
I’m in college. I don’t know how to cook. And if I did, for most of the year, I don’t think I’d have the time to cook three or four meals a day, so, roughly one meal (sometimes two meals) per day will come from processed foods (even a sandwich usually has processed meat). Do you consider this to be unhealthy? How much processed food is too much? (Or are the problems related to processed food overblown?)

Jason.[/quote]

Dude, you don’t wanna eat processed food – far from it. Sure, once in a while go ahead, but don’t make it a habit.

Saying you don’t have enough time is crap. LEARN how to cook – if you keep it basic, it’s not hard. Buy yourself a George Foreman grill – you can put chicken breasts or steaks on there and be eating in less than 10 minutes. Eat some raw veggies/salad with it. Easy! Eggs are quick and easy too. What you might wanna do is make a bunch and keep it in the fridge. Rotate meats daily so you don’t get bored.

Like the other poster mentioned, a blender is a great idea, but don’t only count on powder as your source of protein.

It’s not hard man, you don’t have to be a chef! Salmon baked in the oven is 15 minutes and all you gotta do is season it!

Processed meats suck! You don’t want the nitrates in your body not to mention the sodium…same goes for hot dogs, bacon, etc.

Cheers!

Cook food for multiple feedings a the same time. I usually spend a couple of hours one day per weekend cooking close to half of what I will eat during the week.

Exactly cook one day eat many just takes some prep and you’ll be golden. You dont want to be living on lunch meat etc.

Cook meats ahead and freeze, veggiues, soups, stews,etc etc… bag it all and freeze.

Best of luck,
Phill