Problems with Shoulder Exercises

I origianlly noticed some problems with doing shoulder excersizes, when I did the incline bench. It was very challanging for me. (which isn’t a problem) and hurt my back a little bit. (which is a problem). I’ve recently switched workout programs, where I dedicate a full workout to shoulders.

Now, I am not posting this for people to remark on my workout program. My problem is this: When I tried doing shoulder presses, I could barely lift the bar (again, my problem isn’t that I’m weak. I’m just trying to show that this is a problem) and my lower back curled up and was really hurting. A friend suggested I use a weightlifter’s belt on my back. I tried that and it helped a lot. It prevented my back from bending to much, and made it easier for me to do the shoulder presses.

My question for you guys is: should this be happening? Should I refrain from doing shoulders in the future? ALso: I have a mild case of scoliosis. Could this be the root of the problem? Any insight would be much appreciated.

Thanks,

Ivan

I think it sound to me your problem is Core strength. I would Lose the belt and work on builing up your core dl’s squats. lots of standing stuff pulls presses, ab work. Just limit the weight to what your core can handle.

In other words drop the ego until the weak link cathes up.

Thats My opinion hope it helps,
Phill

[quote]shwizle wrote:
I origianlly noticed some problems with doing shoulder excersizes, when I did the incline bench. It was very challanging for me. (which isn’t a problem) and hurt my back a little bit. (which is a problem). I’ve recently switched workout programs, where I dedicate a full workout to shoulders.

Now, I am not posting this for people to remark on my workout program. My problem is this: When I tried doing shoulder presses, I could barely lift the bar (again, my problem isn’t that I’m weak. I’m just trying to show that this is a problem) and my lower back curled up and was really hurting. A friend suggested I use a weightlifter’s belt on my back. I tried that and it helped a lot. It prevented my back from bending to much, and made it easier for me to do the shoulder presses.

My question for you guys is: should this be happening? Should I refrain from doing shoulders in the future? ALso: I have a mild case of scoliosis. Could this be the root of the problem? Any insight would be much appreciated.

Thanks,

Ivan[/quote]

Ok, let’s review: incline bench, hurting back, which isn’t a good sign because the incline bench is not that hard on your back. Shoulder press, trouble raising the bar, and your lower back “curled up and was really hurting”.

Pretty easy to see what your problem is, from a weak link point of view.

Yes, the scoliosis COULD be part of it, but in all likelihood is NOT a MAJORITY of the problem. I don’t know how severe it is, but I’d suggest having a professional examine you and let you know.

So, you put a belt on. Natural thing to do I suppose, but completely wrong. Think about it this way, if you play basketball and your ankle is weak, do you coddle it or do you rehab it to make it stronger? The belt is a crutch. The key to getting stronger is to work your weak points. In addition to the suggestions posted above, try weighted/unweighted back extensions, pull-throughs, or anything else to work the back.

Look up Mike Robertson’s articles
All the Neanderthal No More series,
Shoulder the Load,
Back on Track,
21st Century Core,

And the Paul Chek article Back Strong and Beltless.

Quite a reading list, I know. But just read for general principles, and apply the knowledge for your training. If you’ve got questions, ask’em.

In the mean time, drop the weight to a level your back can handle.