T Nation

Problems With OH Triceps Extensions

I have been trying to do some overhead triceps extensions with dumbells, and when I do them my triceps pop and grind. I know this sounds like a newbie question, but does this happen to everybody?

Nope, its never happened to me. I’m pretty sure popping and grinding should not occurr, though. Try lowering the weight to see if its any technique issue. If not, I’d drop it altogether because there are plenty of other useful tricep movements out there.

I’ve had a problem in the past, with the “Extention” movement of trying to stimulate the Triceps…

I preformed Very Heavy EZ bar Extentions…otherwise know as Skull Crushers…and found that I ended up inflicting “Golfers Elbow” …sounds odd i know…

Basically the periphial nerve ended up becoming aggrovated and gave up on me! so the pain was kinda hard to ignore! Amsterdam Animal had an exact same problem, and gave me the best advice ever to help recovery - “REST”.

I suggest for you to do the same, and as i’m sure many people will tell you - the are many mnore movements you can do which are just as satisfactory.

• Wings.

[quote]BarneyFife wrote:
I have been trying to do some overhead triceps extensions with dumbells, and when I do them my triceps pop and grind. I know this sounds like a newbie question, but does this happen to everybody?[/quote]