T Nation

Problems with Back Growth

[quote]Lunarisx718 wrote:
Dabba wrote:
The Mighty Stu wrote:
2- Learned the difference between doing deadlifts as a powerlifter and as a bodybuilder.

Care to elaborate on this one?

not letting the weight hit the floor when doing deads, stop just short of hitting the floor and then come back up, this keeps everything under constant tension and time under tension=growth
[/quote]

tut is great but not for deadlifts, especially if you are going heavy.

‘heavy’ is relative. I used to rep with 405 on BB deads stopping a couple inches short of the floor (of course I didnt start training with that weight!). If you’re training correctly, you will get stronger whether you realize it or not.

T.U.T. can be use in any instance, a muscle is a muscle (insertion points and muscle bellies), and if you can keep tension on it, you will get some sort of adaptation response.

S

id think stopping just short on a deadlift would be a great way to fuck your back up

Well, if you’re a ‘momentum’ lifter then I’d agree. I like to control the weights :slight_smile:

S

The loss of that “sore” feeling means that your body has adapted to that specific lift. Try a new routine, or mix up some of the exercises.

For lat growth, do a shitload of pulls/chins with varying grips. Try to go slow, especially on the negative portion. Do them at the beginning and at the end of your workout. Someone mentioned (Thibs, Poliquin?) that doing the same lift at the beginning and end can really cause growth.

On my last back sess, I tried the eccentric method. Unfortunately, my forearms failed before my back. Evidently I have to further develop my gripping power.

I was informed by an advanced trainee at my gym, that T-Bar rows (in conjunction with deadlifts) are without doubt, the best exercise for developing back thickness.

With deadlifts, I have been told to ensure that the weight is made “dead” at the start of every rep. If I pull up the bar before the weight touches the ground, then I will be utilising the kinetic enegy stored in my hams. Remember hams have elastic characteristics.

Um…if you used to feel back soreness doing the same exercises, then you were obviously doing something right. If the weight is still going up, you don’t need to be sore at all.

It’s fine to switch it up, but you need to worry more about the numbers than the soreness.

Um…if you used to feel back soreness doing the same exercises, then you were obviously doing something right. If the weight is still going up, you don’t need to be sore at all.

It’s fine to switch it up, but you need to worry more about the numbers than the soreness.