T Nation

Problems & Questions

ok so ive been in track season for a couple months now and this is my last week, right now my right shoulder is really bothering me, consistently aches and has pain with rear delt raise, later raises and flat pressing. Ive tried stretching like my pt told me to, using the “sleeper” stretch and ive started using a baseball to roll it but its pretty much the same.

Another problem is my elbows are starting to hurt like a bitch and i take fish oil but its not really helping, i throw shot so i can see why my left one would hurt but my right one does as well, lastly my knee (right one) is killing me, ive moved my squatting stance in to shoulder width but i think i just need time off from running on this problem. question is what can i do for the shoulder, elbows what kinds of exercises? joint supps and do i need therapy of a specific kind maybe?
thanks

(also im taking the rest of this week off to see if that helps)

I’m probably not the one to recommend anything, but if my knee was hurting, I would probably widen my stance for squatting as opposed to narrowing it.

[quote]Kulturkampf wrote:
I’m probably not the one to recommend anything, but if my knee was hurting, I would probably widen my stance for squatting as opposed to narrowing it.[/quote]

it was originally hurting with the widen stance so i dont know if its the stance or not, i had it about as far as the power racks would let me the knee thing i think is more an issue of running alot but im curious as to what others think

End of track season and a couple of different joints hurt? Sounds like overuse. Your week off sounds like a good idea.

Hows your performance (shot and lifting) been?

[quote]danjo228 wrote:
End of track season and a couple of different joints hurt? Sounds like overuse. Your week off sounds like a good idea.

Hows your performance (shot and lifting) been?[/quote]

lifting, my lifts are still climbing some how hehe but shotput wise i peeked at 42’ 7’’ then week after 41 something then last week 39’ 11’’ which is when i realized i might just be to abused to put in a max effort. im really concerned about my shoulder since its been hurting since football, the therapists gave me stretches, i do that and it loosens up nicely but then still hurts to bench or w/e, when i use the baseball massage i did find kind of a knot or patch of really hard tissue and i thought maybe art or a deep tissue massage would help with that?

[quote]danjo228 wrote:

Hows your performance (shot and lifting) been?[/quote]

I’d go for two weeks off; not a licence to go out and have late nights etc. two weeks off eating well and sleeping lots.
Start back with a couple of weeks really light stuff too.

I also had shoulder pain which I found was due to overuse, and what worked for me was rest as well as strict turkish get ups with a 16kilo bell and Z health/mobility (www.dragondoor.com) I have found the turkish get up, and kettlebells in particular, to be great rehab tools.

I do a lot of heavy overhead pressing and eve since incorporating the above, no more pain/tightness/discomfort. Oh and increased shoulder flexibility as well. Just my two cents.

Yeah, if the shoulder is still bothersome after the lay off, and Boffin is right you may need two weeks and definitely a gradual return, you may need to have it evaluated.

Where in MA are you. Having worked in athletic training, I know many reputable orthopods in the greater Boston area and north shore.

near worcester, how would i get it evaluated?

[quote]bignate wrote:
near worcester, how would i get it evaluated?[/quote]

Can’t help. I don’t know anyone in the Worcester area.

[quote]danjo228 wrote:
bignate wrote:

Can’t help. I don’t know anyone in the Worcester area.[/quote]

thats alright, how would i get it evaluated like what kind of place (ill run a search)? thanks for all the help, also today i ran uphill for sprints without the brace and it actually didnt hurt to run up hill so i think i found something there

[quote]bignate wrote:
danjo228 wrote:
bignate wrote:

thats alright, how would i get it evaluated like what kind of place (ill run a search)? thanks for all the help, also today i ran uphill for sprints without the brace and it actually didnt hurt to run up hill so i think i found something there[/quote]

A reputable orthopedic surgeon.

I worked with a few in Boston and on the North Shore who had experience with weight lifters shoulders.

UMass Memorial is supposed to have some good docs.

Like said before, small problems usually resolve after a week or two of rest. If not, it’s time to have a doctor look at it.

[quote]danjo228 wrote:
bignate wrote:
danjo228 wrote:
bignate wrote:

thats alright, how would i get it evaluated like what kind of place (ill run a search)? thanks for all the help, also today i ran uphill for sprints without the brace and it actually didnt hurt to run up hill so i think i found something there

A reputable orthopedic surgeon.

I worked with a few in Boston and on the North Shore who had experience with weight lifters shoulders.

UMass Memorial is supposed to have some good docs.

Like said before, small problems usually resolve after a week or two of rest. If not, it’s time to have a doctor look at it.[/quote]

sounds good, my mom works at umass so could probably ask her to see if she knows any there im sure she does ill get back to you in a week, been doing rotations, stretching and massaging so hope for the best, thanks for all the help

Rest is not what you need. Don’t be lazy and hope you feel better. Be proactive and do something to MAKE yourself feel better.

I would go to the gym 3-4x a week the next two weeks and do the following:

upper body circuit:
YTWL - 3x15 (in each position) with 3-5lb DBs
pushup+ - 3x15. hold lockout for a second or two
overhead shrugs - 3x15. stay light on these
miniband pushdowns - 100 reps total
miniband face pulls - 100 reps total

followed by:
foam roll on lats/rhomboids - 1 minute each side
lacrosse ball/baseball on pecs/front delts - 1 min each side
lacrosse ball/baseball on mid/lower traps (inside edge of shoulder blade - 1 min each side
foam roll triceps - 1 min each

circuit for the knee (I’m assuming you’re having anterior pain, if it’s somewhere else disregard this):
TKE (terminal knee extension) with band - 3x20-25
goblet squats to a bench - 100 reps. remember to sit back as far as possible and spread the floor with your feet. a wider stance should be better on your knees. just make sure your knees, thighs, and toes are all lined up when you’re squatting.
GHR - 50 reps
glute bridge with plate on lap - 50 reps

then:
foam roll quads, ITB, glutes, hamstrings, adductors, calves, and tibialis for 30 sec each side

Finish off with a good full body stretch. The whole thing should take about an hour. Ice everything that’s bothering you for 15 min on, 60 min off as long as you care to. I’m also big fan of ice baths but I realize they aren’t really practical for most people. If you can make it happen, that’s your best bet.

2-3 weeks of this and you should be good to go. If not, then you can think about finding a good ortho.

2 week rehab on yourself.

Watch your sleep and posture when doing daily things, has to be extra good until the pain goes away.

Do shoulder dislocates.

Upright Snatches - I’m not sure if thats the name of the exercise, but its the portion of the snatch when you go from top upright row position to military press. Light weight medium volume, your not doing it to wear yourself out but to push blood into the area keep it flexible and minimize scar tissue.

Throughout the day try to move your arm and shoulder throughout pain free ROM and try to extend the ROM. By the end of the day the body is normally warmed up enough to have good flexibility. When you have pain what you want to aim for is flexibility when you first wake up to equal the same flexibility you have around mid day.

You may not have to stop lifting for more than a few days, but to continue building strength and minimizing overuse injuries switch you exercises.

If you’ve been sprinting for the last 3 months, try running for twice is long easy but fast.

Heavy Wide Stance Squats shoulder with stance medium weight fast with power.

Barbell Military Press - dumbell press.

That way you continue to get stronger without not lifting all together.

There is another good shoulder saver that I just remembered. It is from the Waterbury/Cosgrove article series on building strong shoulders from 2006 I believe. You can find the article if you want to look.

You kneel down on the floor and sit back on your heels. Lay your torso on your thighs with your arms overhead. Reach your right arm as far forward as you can while simultaneously supinating your hand and lifting your elbow off the floor. Hold for a second at the top and repeat with the other arm. Do 3x10-15.

[quote]Steel Nation wrote:
Rest is not what you need. Don’t be lazy and hope you feel better. Be proactive and do something to MAKE yourself feel better.

I would go to the gym 3-4x a week the next two weeks and do the following:

upper body circuit:
YTWL - 3x15 (in each position) with 3-5lb DBs
pushup+ - 3x15. hold lockout for a second or two
overhead shrugs - 3x15. stay light on these
miniband pushdowns - 100 reps total
miniband face pulls - 100 reps total

followed by:
foam roll on lats/rhomboids - 1 minute each side
lacrosse ball/baseball on pecs/front delts - 1 min each side
lacrosse ball/baseball on mid/lower traps (inside edge of shoulder blade - 1 min each side
foam roll triceps - 1 min each

circuit for the knee (I’m assuming you’re having anterior pain, if it’s somewhere else disregard this):
TKE (terminal knee extension) with band - 3x20-25
goblet squats to a bench - 100 reps. remember to sit back as far as possible and spread the floor with your feet. a wider stance should be better on your knees. just make sure your knees, thighs, and toes are all lined up when you’re squatting.

GHR - 50 reps
glute bridge with plate on lap - 50 reps

then:
foam roll quads, ITB, glutes, hamstrings, adductors, calves, and tibialis for 30 sec each side

Finish off with a good full body stretch. The whole thing should take about an hour. Ice everything that’s bothering you for 15 min on, 60 min off as long as you care to. I’m also big fan of ice baths but I realize they aren’t really practical for most people. If you can make it happen, that’s your best bet.

2-3 weeks of this and you should be good to go. If not, then you can think about finding a good ortho.[/quote]
whats a YTWL, also no access to bands or GHR, no foam roller and how do u do a TKE

considering your sports is priority I would without a doubt take time off from lifting. I realize it is integral to getting better, but it is taking away from your performance. Focus on technique and throwing until problems are almost all better than then add lifting back in slowly.

In terms of knee pain (i dont know almost anything about your history) but I would bet that your IT band it tight.

i reason I think this is because you have obviously been lifting a lot and successful, and thus the hypertrophy of your quad is probably pushing on your IT band, If your knees hurt on the slight outside bottom, then i would hop right on a foam roller and roll on the side of your leg. You can look up these exercises yourself.

Also in terms of shoulder hurting, I would switch to a safety squat for a little while for that to heal up without constant tension.

-Im also assuming your season isnt over, as it is very early for track season to be over…If it is over then rest and relax and rehab for a while and come back strong as ever.

Go kick ass on the field (I run track at the collegiate level and definitely know where your coming from with the injuries))

[quote]getfast24 wrote:
considering your sports is priority I would without a doubt take time off from lifting. I realize it is integral to getting better, but it is taking away from your performance. Focus on technique and throwing until problems are almost all better than then add lifting back in slowly.

In terms of knee pain (i dont know almost anything about your history) but I would bet that your IT band it tight.

i reason I think this is because you have obviously been lifting a lot and successful, and thus the hypertrophy of your quad is probably pushing on your IT band, If your knees hurt on the slight outside bottom, then i would hop right on a foam roller and roll on the side of your leg. You can look up these exercises yourself.

Also in terms of shoulder hurting, I would switch to a safety squat for a little while for that to heal up without constant tension.

-Im also assuming your season isnt over, as it is very early for track season to be over…If it is over then rest and relax and rehab for a while and come back strong as ever.

Go kick ass on the field (I run track at the collegiate level and definitely know where your coming from with the injuries))[/quote]

thanks man, im done after tomorrow unless i throw 44 and go to states (unlikely…) but i did take this week off from lifting besides rehad shit and feel better already, i was thinking i would drop all the laterals as those are the things that really hurt and maybe switch to front squatting to keep pressure off shoudlers i dont have a SSB yet, also where should i get a foam roller from

[quote]bignate wrote:
whats a YTWL, also no access to bands or GHR, no foam roller and how do u do a TKE
[/quote]

1. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xCp-YynBEvE
  2. minibands and a foam roller will set you back like $50. a solid investment if there ever was one.
  3. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fZYIMSpZNZo