Problems Gaining Weight

I’ve got some earth shattering advice: eat more food.

To TopSirloin:

Thanks for your post. I am trying to regain weight lost from running a marathon a few weeks ago. Even though I am on my way - 4 lbs in 2 weeks, I seemed to have stalled. Anyways, I think I was focusing too much on my protein intake and NOT my carbs. Need to take carb intake up a notch and protein down a notch…Thanks.

AA

I figured out that 3200 calories obviously isn’t enough to gain weight, but i was confused why i was weighing less. I’m just trying to up my calories slowly so i can get used to the calories and dont get bloated all the time. But thanks for all the good advice guys. I think i might have to start drinking a shake in the middle of the night or something.

And i’m just going to be doing light kettlebell circuits for GPP with like 25lbs. And i’ll only be doing them twice a week.

Also since i need to be eating more carbs what are the best places to get carbs. Anything else besides, breads, pasta, rice, and fruits?

You probally are not eating enough. 3200 calories is not a lot. I am about your age. The past two days I have been eating 4,000 calories/day, and it’s my rest week! I am 6’2" 177lbs, so I’m skinny.
I was just recently taught the importance of lots of eating to gain muscle. It’s going to be fun to see how much I will be eating when I start lifting again next week. I’m thinking a minimum of 5,000 calories/day.

Could I use ultra fuel as a source of carbs other than just post workout, because it says it has mostly complex carbs instead of sugars?

Binford:
Read Massive Eating Reloaded and the seminar review of Berardi’s. THat’ll help you evaluate individual diferences. Basically do this, if you’re not gaining weight, keep upping the calories. The berardi rule is 250-500kcals every week or two…but rather I’d try something similar but a bit different. I’d up your kcals 50 a day. Also, start taking in creatine post workout, just 5 grams or so. Also are you eating anything during your workout? You should be drinking Surge or a combo of whey isolate or hydrosolate with dextrose. What are you doing for you post-workout meal? ALL your meals should not be calorically even. You should be eating more post-workout (90 minutes after especially) than any other time of the day. And this should consist of slightly high glycemic carbs, and lots of protein with minimal fat. Also as you stated…your weighing method is unreliable.
Get a DIGITAL scale and weigh yourself in the morning right after you take a piss. Excluding lack of sleep and a few other things, this is the most accurate method for weight assesment. And if all else fails…go back in the archives to I think it’s 2001…wait here it is: http://www.t-nation.com/findArticle.do?article=body_139pnd
Consider that as another option…
Lord Proteinpowda

Binford-

I would estimate you need upwards of 3500-4000 cals. Remember, not only does your body need additional nutrients to build new muscle, it needs additional energy to fuel that process. But, you are right, you should go easy, adding 200-300 more cals per week for a month or 6 weeks.

As far as carbs go, I think those you listed are the staples for most body builders. I would add oatmeal, but oats are sometimes not dense enough. I think it’s easier to eat 100 grams of carbs from breads and cereals than oats. Hard-gainers tend to need calorie dense foods, which is why some processed carbs are very helpful. Still, stay clear of shit carbs like white bread, simple sugars, and weight gainers. Too many of those can get you fat even if you are not eating enough total cals.

TopSirloin

Hey binford,

As a fellow ectomorph, let me say you basically aren’t eating enough unless you actually do gain weight. After reading the Massive eating article, I realized this, then promptly gained about 7 lbs in 3 weeks. Just keep eating man, and follow the guidelines everyone has laid out. Also, kettlebells are probably overkill. I have gained weight while on a kb/traditional workout split, but I also added a half gallon of whole milk to my daily diet. I’d say it’d be best to drop the kb/farmer’s walk work just to see what difference it makes. Maybe if you’re going light enough, it shouldn’t matter, but you really need to give your muscles a break in order to grow.

Don’t forget to eat big after working out. If you listen to Chad Waterbury on the T Nation Radio in the upper left hand corner of T Nation pages, he recommends eating a sh1t load of food after a workout. If I’m not mistaken, I’m thinking its .5 grams of protein per pound of body weight and 1.0 grams of carbs per pound of body weight. Is this excessive? Not if you want to gain weight. Also, if you have cheat days, don’t sluff off on your protein intake.

Also, eat lots of REAL FOODS. I always recommend Subway (footlong chicken breast subs). I believe thats about 100g of carbs and 50g of protein (don’t forget the veggies).

Just eat and eat and eat. Especially if you want to gain weight. Eat big and consistant. Don’t eat REALLY big and inconsistant, because that doesn’t work to well.

Oh yeah, just eat! :slight_smile:

Holy crap! How the hell can this be so damned complex. Randman already said it a while back.

EAT MORE FUCKING FOOD!

Don’t try to jibe your diet with your freaking biorhythms, your womans period, the phase of the moon, your cardio cycle, the shows on television, or any other silly thing.

I’ve never heard anything so simple made so complex. Well, I have, but that is another story…