Problems Drinking Milk

For the past 3 years I haven’t drank a glass of milk, except for in my cereal which I would have maybe twice a week. Anyways, I get severe gas now even if I have a half a glass of milk. I don’t think I’m lactose intolerant because I can eat most dairy products and be fine.

Some buddies of mine said they have the same problem after not drinking it for a few years. My question is, if I start drinking 5-6 glasses of milk a day, will my body adjust to the milk or am I just setting myself for losing friends??

[quote]Cartman8675 wrote:
For the past 3 years I haven’t drank a glass of milk, except for in my cereal which I would have maybe twice a week. Anyways, I get severe gas now even if I have a half a glass of milk. I don’t think I’m lactose intolerant because I can eat most dairy products and be fine.

Some buddies of mine said they have the same problem after not drinking it for a few years. My question is, if I start drinking 5-6 glasses of milk a day, will my body adjust to the milk or am I just setting myself for losing friends??[/quote]

You are lactose intolerant. Drink lactose free milk. Case solved.

Would taking something like Lac-Taid help in a situation like that?

[quote]Professor X wrote:
Cartman8675 wrote:

Some buddies of mine said they have the same problem after not drinking it for a few years. My question is, if I start drinking 5-6 glasses of milk a day, will my body adjust to the milk or am I just setting myself for losing friends??

You are lactose intolerant. Drink lactose free milk. Case solved.[/quote]

Interesting, never heard of it. Could I purchase some at a normal grocery store or would I have to go to a market place or something of the sort to get it? Also, do you know if the nutritional value is the same? Thanks.

[quote]Ghost22 wrote:
Would taking something like Lac-Taid help in a situation like that?

[/quote]

No, but Lactaid would.

I’m going to disagree.

What you are describing fits a concept called lactase persistence. This basically means that lactase production continues along with lactose consumption. You seemed to have stopped producing as many lactase enzymes since you decreased your lactose consumption. (Consider it a positive feedback mechanism.) Now when you consume large amounts, your digestive system is unprepared and overwhelmed.

Many people who experience this assume they are lactose intolerant when, really, all they may need to do is gradually and consistently increase their lactose consumption. This tends to work for many people. It worked for me.

Interesting, never heard of it. Could I purchase some at a normal grocery store or would I have to go to a market place or something of the sort to get it? Also, do you know if the nutritional value is the same? Thanks.[/quote]

Seriously? You can find lactose free dairy products at just about any average size grocery store.

Real question though- why do you need to start drinking 5-6 glasses a day? I don’t ever drink milk, at all, ever, and I’m fairly healthy. I get my calcium other places.

Professor X wrote:
Cartman8675 wrote:

You are lactose intolerant. Drink lactose free milk. Case solved.

Interesting, never heard of it. Could I purchase some at a normal grocery store or would I have to go to a market place or something of the sort to get it? Also, do you know if the nutritional value is the same? Thanks.[/quote]

Sold near the rest of the milk.

Lactose free whole milk (1 cup)
Calories 152 ( Kilojoules 635 )

% Daily

Value*
Total Fat 8 g 12%
Saturated Fat 5 g 25%
Cholesterol 35 mg 12%
Sodium 125 mg 5%
Total Carbohydrates 12 g 4%
Dietary Fiber 0 g 0%
Sugars 12 g
Protein 8 g

Regular whole milk (1 cup)
Calories 146 ( Kilojoules 612 )

% Daily

Value*
Total Fat 7.9 g 12%
Saturated Fat 4.6 g 23%
Cholesterol 24 mg 8%
Sodium 98 mg 4%
Total Carbohydrates 11.0 g 4%
Dietary Fiber 0 g 0%
Sugars 12.8 g
Protein 7.9 g
Calcium 275.7 mg
Potassium 348.9 mg

[quote]eengrms76 wrote:
Cartman8675 wrote:
Interesting, never heard of it. Could I purchase some at a normal grocery store or would I have to go to a market place or something of the sort to get it? Also, do you know if the nutritional value is the same? Thanks.

Seriously? You can find lactose free dairy products at just about any average size grocery store.

Real question though- why do you need to start drinking 5-6 glasses a day? I don’t ever drink milk, at all, ever, and I’m fairly healthy. I get my calcium other places.[/quote]

I never said I NEEDED to drink 5-6 glasses a day. I was going to start consuming more to possibly force my body to adjust to milk consumption. I mean I already drink about a gallon of water a day, and if I replaced some of that with milk, it’s more calories and more protein.

[quote]Angelbutt wrote:
I’m going to disagree.

What you are describing fits a concept called lactase persistence. This basically means that lactase production continues along with lactose consumption. You seemed to have stopped producing as many lactase enzymes since you decreased your lactose consumption. (Consider it a positive feedback mechanism.) Now when you consume large amounts, your digestive system is unprepared and overwhelmed.

Many people who experience this assume they are lactose intolerant when, really, all they may need to do is gradually and consistently increase their lactose consumption. This tends to work for many people. It worked for me. [/quote]

Many people who are lactose intolerant were not earlier on in life. I didn’t “become” lactose intolerant until around high school age after I had already been drinking about a gallon a day. Also, many who are lactose intolerant can drink small amounts of milk with no complications. I could eat a bowl of cereal without a problem at all. I only have problems with larger intakes like 2 cups at a time.

Better solution

[quote]pookie wrote:
Better solution
[/quote]

Yeah budddyyyy!!!

Man from the crowd: “Do you drink skid milk”

Arnold: “No, no milk”

Man: “You drink no milk at all”

Arnold: “No, milk is for babies, when you grow up you drink beer”