Problems Benching

Ok when I bench the bar comes off my chest and goes right over my collar bone about 7 inches above it then I press, it My triceps suck 95 x 2 scull crushers but my close grip bench isnt bad.

Question one: Why do I Bench like a cripple

Question two: why am I so bad at scull crushers

Oh and… If your triceps are 2/3 of your arm shouldnt they be 2/3 stronger If I can good form curl 95 x 10 what would would be balanced to that as far as scull crushers

[quote]n3wb wrote:
Ok when I bench the bar comes off my chest and goes right over my collar bone about 7 inches above it then I press, it My triceps suck 95 x 2 scull crushers but my close grip bench isnt bad

Question one: Why do I Bench like a cripple

Question two: why am I so bad at scull crushers

[/quote]

#1 your not staying tight in the upper back and your pushing the bar awayt from you not you away from the bar. Your unlocking the shoulders.

Keep that upper back thight and push You away from the bar best way I can describe it. By pushing the bar away you move the shoulder out of locked position nand the bar will ride up on you. Try some paused in the bottom work to learn to stay tight.

#2 your weak in nthe triceps make them a priority we all have or weaknesses its IDing the and fixing them.

Just like the first poster said, keep your upper back tight. Also keep your elbows closing toward your torso, and lift straight up and down from the area between the pecs and abs.

I keep my shoulder blades together but I dont arch my back like I used to I got my shoulders stronger latley and now I bench like a guy with parkinson’s
Im guesing getting my triceps stronger would help it I always just thought that scull crushers was a bad movement for me

Thanks for the posts guys I have been pissed off for a long time trying to figure out why my bench sucks

It sounds like you are bringing the bar down in the wrong place. Bring it down right where the lobes of your rib cage join at the sternum.

Then push.

[quote]n3wb wrote:
Oh and… If your triceps are 2/3 of your arm shouldnt they be 2/3 stronger If I can good form curl 95 x 10 what would would be balanced to that as far as scull crushers[/quote]

The tris being 2/3 of your arm is a rough number. You are comparing a 2 headed muscle (biceps) to a 3 headed muscle (triceps), however both of theses lifts involve several smaller muscles as well (brachioradialis, brachialis, anconeus) so a direct correlation is probably unreasonable.

I don’t think there is a direct correlation between the two movements because they are done in different planes. If you wanted to compare the biceps curl to something you would want your upper arm in the same position, so you would be looking at a triceps pushdown. It would be tough to compare a cable pushdown to a free weight curl due to the fact that the numbers and weights on machines are not always equal to actual free weight movements.

You could try comparing cable curl to cable pushdown, but I’m not sure it’s really going to be that useful. If you think your tris are weaker than your bis, then work them harder.

As others have said, getting in the right position is huge. I’ve been really focusing on squeezing my should blades together and creating a good base to bench with. My numbers, while not great, have improved quite a bit in the last few months.

The triceps being 2/3 of your arm is just plain wrong.

And bring down the bar on your lower chest.

[quote]n3wb wrote:
I keep my shoulder blades together but I dont arch my back like I used to I got my shoulders stronger latley and now I bench like a guy with parkinson’s
Im guesing getting my triceps stronger would help it I always just thought that scull crushers was a bad movement for me

Thanks for the posts guys I have been pissed off for a long time trying to figure out why my bench sucks[/quote]

Get a video if you can.

As far as your triceps being 2/3 stronger, I would venture to say you could at least do 95lbs x 10 for triceps push downs like you can for curls (most likely more). Angle makes a big difference in lifts.

I can pushdown more weight that i can cable curl so I guess Im not that umbalanced just weak all around

I would like to get videos of my lifts But dont know how