T Nation

Problem with USDA database

I’m trying to find out one simple thing using the USDA website found here:

http://www.nal.usda.gov/fnic/cgi-bin/nut_search.pl

I’m looking for the macro/caloric content of plain, uncooked oatmeal. I know, it sounds as basic a search you could imagine, but I type in “oatmeal” and get 66 hits (most of them being baby food and commercial cereal). The closest one I’ve found is entitled “Cereals, oats, regular and quick and instant, unenriched, dry”. What I don’t like about that title is the “…and quick and instant” part. I’m looking for the slow-cooking oats that you find in one of those massive bins at the grocery store.

The other issue is that I have a “Book of Food Counts” that has raw oats listed, but the calories do not match the macro amounts. In fact, they’re off by about 140 calories.

Can anyone point me in the right direction here? Perhaps I have my head firmly planted up my ass and am looking right past it; who knows.

Well if they are list regular and instant together, I would take that as an indication that they are quite close to each other, nutrient-wise…??

I got two types here, - Quaker Oats (can be done regularly or in the microwave) and a no-name local supermarket brand:

Quaker
Protein: 11 g
Carb: 62 g
Fat: 8.0

No-name
Protein: 13.5 g
Carbs: 58.7 g
Fat: 7.0 g

Pretty close.

“Cereals, oats, regular and quick and instant, unenriched, dry.”

Here’s the “Truth, the Oat truth and nothing but the truth”… “Quick” oats have been rolled to make them cook quicker and “instant” oats have been rolled AND cut into small peices to cook even faster. The “problem” with instant varieties are that they are often made with tons of carbs for flavor.

So, regardless how the are processed, the nutrient value remains the same…

I “could” be wrong…but I’m not.

“Most of us spend the first 6 days of each week sowing wild oats, then we go to church on Sunday and pray for a crop failure”

~ Fred Allen

Well Cupcake, I think maybe just this once you might be right :-).
The oats are indeed the same with regard to macronutrient/calorie values (if you take the basic raw material, no fillers/sugar/flavors etc).

However, the difference is (as Cupcake says again :-)) that the instant/quick etc have been processed to allow quick cooking (crushing, flaking). The secondary effect of this is that less effort will be needed by the digestive system to break them down and absorb the nutrients. So....as there is less fibrous husk to break through, a faster release of CHO into the blood, and greater insulin spike with the more processed product.

Hope this helps, SRS

i found oats on usda
check out
http://www.nal.usda.gov/fnic/cgi-bin/measure.pl?20038xyz2000xyzOatsxyzAvena%20sativa%20L.

Yep… I was right. I did have my head planted firmly up my ass.

Thanks, Dark Assassin, for keeping me in check. Hell, I even looked at that listing, but it was the 600 cals per serving that threw me off. I guess I was thinking in terms of half cups, not cups, as that’s the amount I was using (like that’s an excuse).

Looks like I picked the wrong week to quit sniffing glue.