Problem with Power Cleans

Hi,

I’m currently in the second week of CW’s ART. My problem is that i really never learned how do to Power Cleans so that i can’t go heavy on them until i learn the technique. And when i try to do them with more than 70kg i get pain in my wrists.

So with what exercise should i replace the Power Clean? I was thinking with Shrugs because on the Power Clean day of the program there is no back work.

Thx

[quote]el_minjo wrote:
Hi,

I’m currently in the second week of CW’s ART. My problem is that i really never learned how do to Power Cleans so that i can’t go heavy on them until i learn the technique. And when i try to do them with more than 70kg i get pain in my wrists.

So with what exercise should i replace the Power Clean? I was thinking with Shrugs because on the Power Clean day of the program there is no back work.

Thx[/quote]

shrugs definitely do not replace the clean. maybe throw in a squat variation or jump squats, or if you’re looking for an alternate power exercise, do some med ball stuff.

uwlax.edu/strengthcenter/videos/video_index.htm

There is an asortment of videos in the link above that show proper form used for the lifts. Powerclean, is on the far left hand side, 6th one down.

I think heavey deads help out alot for powercleans.

After doing heavey singles for awhile on my deadlift, exploding off the ground when I powerclean has become easier.

For the wrist problem, try wrapping them, or wearing gloves with wraps.

THx for the replies.

My problem is not the explosion from the ground. It’s more the second stage of the lift, where i have to push myself under the bar and then place it on my shoulders.

A few trainers at my gym told me that big ppl should not do cleans because of various reasons and one of them is because they can’t push themselves under the bar as fast as small ppl.

And that is also why i get the pain in the wrists. Because for a moment i hold the whole weight on the wrists. I know that this is a technique issue which will take longer time to correct.

Thats why i wanted to replace cleans for the moment.

[quote]el_minjo wrote:
THx for the replies.

A few trainers at my gym told me that big ppl should not do cleans because of various reasons and one of them is because they can’t push themselves under the bar as fast as small ppl.
.[/quote]

“Big people” should not do cleans? Tell the 105+ lifters that.

You are right about getting the technique better. Drill front squats in the clean position. This will get you better in the catch part of the clean.

In CT’s ‘Money Exercises’ he outlines a way of doing snatches and cleans for athletes, which I’d strongly recommend. I have all the coordination of a housebrick, and failed for years to learn these lifts, but I’m ok with the simplified version he outlines.

maybe he meant tall people?

[quote]Krollmonster wrote:
el_minjo wrote:
THx for the replies.

You are right about getting the technique better. Drill front squats in the clean position. This will get you better in the catch part of the clean.
[/quote]

[quote]Ballin4Christ32 wrote:
maybe he meant tall people?

Krollmonster wrote:
el_minjo wrote:
THx for the replies.

[/quote]

Yeah, sorry i meant tall people. I’m something like 2m or converted into feet 6’6. My friend who is about one head smaller than me can to cleans easily although his technique is poor on many other exercises.

About the front squats. Thx for the idea. I will incorporate them into my training to fix the catch part of the drill.