Problem with One Arm Dumbbell Rows

Im wondering if anyone ahs decent advice on this exercise. My problem with it is that people say its for the Lats and the Middle Trapezius, but I have NEVER felt it in my Mid Traps. I have used 2 different techniques, I have reduced the weight and used strict form with a pause at the top of each rep and ive used the Kroc Row technique. Both have worked well for my Lats, none have worked for my Traps. Is there something im missing? I just dont want Barbell Rows and Seated Rows to get old on me.

I tend to feel it in my mid-traps when I focus on retracting my scapula on the way up, instead of pulling with the elbow. Your t-spine should actually be extending/rotating as you pull up and this is where I feel it in the mid-traps.

Pull your shoulder back through the movement. And squeeze at the top…

check out “Meadow’s Rows”, pretty damn awesome when you figure out how to do them correctly. kind’ve like a DB row, but different… haha

If that’s you in your avi, I’d say you’ve found something that hits your traps.

Stop caring about the dumbbell and start caring about letting your scapula get a deep stretch at the bottom, start the movement by retracting the scapula and (if you want) keep it retracted at the top.

[quote]on edge wrote:
If that’s you in your avi, I’d say you’ve found something that hits your traps.[/quote]

Unfortunatly that back isnt mine haha but its exactly what im aiming for.

Thanks for the advice guys, i’ll give it a try tonight.

[quote]Ct. Rockula wrote:
Pull your shoulder back through the movement. And squeeze at the top…

[/quote]

This here. ^

Go lighter if you have to, but FEEL the movement.

[quote]Bailey H wrote:
Im wondering if anyone ahs decent advice on this exercise. My problem with it is that people say its for the Lats and the Middle Trapezius, but I have NEVER felt it in my Mid Traps. I have used 2 different techniques, I have reduced the weight and used strict form with a pause at the top of each rep and ive used the Kroc Row technique. Both have worked well for my Lats, none have worked for my Traps. Is there something im missing? I just dont want Barbell Rows and Seated Rows to get old on me.[/quote]

Why not try incorporating a stimulatory exercise for the mid trap area before you perform dumbbell rows? Don’t pre-fatigue/pre-exhaust the area but stimulate the muscles to fire and aim to feel them contracting through the movement using light weight with controlled rep speed.

Some exercises to help you engage and feel the mid to lower traps / rhomboids include face pulls, prone fly’s, Y raises, bat wings, dip-station reverse shrugs etc. Use whatever gets you that feel… then perform your DB rows with a full stretch at the bottom and a tight purposeful contraction at the top.