T Nation

Problem with Hitting Depth

I have a problem hitting depth when I squat. And I dont think it’s a mental thing or that I am strong enough. Last week I squatted 555# for a double. They were both called as good squats. When I do reps, my second is always deeper than the first. Today I was high at 505# but did sink 535#. I stopped there today. I squat wide stance and think I am tight in the hips.

Tips? Suggetions?? THANKS

Ive got kinda the same problem, what im trying now is pausing the lighter sets in the hole a bit. Too early to tell but i feel like it may be working.

Stretching out your hips and narrowing your stance in just a few inches can really help hit depth while still maintaining a posterior chain dominant movement.

[quote]Reed wrote:
Stretching out your hips and narrowing your stance in just a few inches can really help hit depth while still maintaining a posterior chain dominant movement.[/quote]

I did start doing this a couple weeks ago. If I went really wide, like some guys at my gym do, I REALLY had a hard time getting deep.

[quote]Reed wrote:
Stretching out your hips and narrowing your stance in just a few inches can really help hit depth while still maintaining a posterior chain dominant movement.[/quote]

Good advice…try to find some of the hip mobility stretches on Mobility WOD…I’ve got before/after pictures from a routine my girl took me through…the change in ROM was noticeable in the pics after just one session.

[quote]VTBalla34 wrote:

[quote]Reed wrote:

Good advice…try to find some of the hip mobility stretches on Mobility WOD…I’ve got before/after pictures from a routine my girl took me through…the change in ROM was noticeable in the pics after just one session.[/quote]

Is it really that good? I thought the MobilityWOD was just the latest craze but if it works I will def try it out.

Video?

Not sure what “good” depth means to you, but very few people can hit IPF depth (proper below parallel) or even a solid parallel with any stance, let alone a wide stance. Also, it is crazy how delusional people are when it comes to squat depth. So many people calling squats “good” when they clearly weren’t.

Improve squat depth by changing setup (stance, bar placement, etc.), shoes (heeled vs flat), and/or mobility work. You should also warm up properly.

[quote]infinite_shore wrote:
Video?

Not sure what “good” depth means to you, but very few people can hit IPF depth (proper below parallel) or even a solid parallel with any stance, let alone a wide stance. Also, it is crazy how delusional people are when it comes to squat depth. So many people calling squats “good” when they clearly weren’t.

Improve squat depth by changing setup (stance, bar placement, etc.), shoes (heeled vs flat), and/or mobility work. You should also warm up properly. [/quote]

I don’t mean to be a dick but the word “parallel” does not appear once in the IPF rulebook.

[quote]tattoo’d’popeye wrote:

[quote]VTBalla34 wrote:

[quote]Reed wrote:

Good advice…try to find some of the hip mobility stretches on Mobility WOD…I’ve got before/after pictures from a routine my girl took me through…the change in ROM was noticeable in the pics after just one session.[/quote]

Is it really that good? I thought the MobilityWOD was just the latest craze but if it works I will def try it out. [/quote]
Everyone I’ve heard from says it’s very legit.

Lay on your side with legs straight out, raise one up as far as you can keeping that foot tight and locked out. Do 8 each leg every day. It got my hip flexibility up a lot

[quote]infinite_shore wrote:
Video?

Improve squat depth by changing setup (stance, bar placement, etc.), shoes (heeled vs flat), and/or mobility work. You should also warm up properly. [/quote]

I lift in USAPL and APF/AAPF as do all the guys at my gym. We all work toward hitting what would pass as a USAPL squat. Hitting parallel isn’t a problem. It’s that extra depth thats hard. This morning I foam rolled some and just free squatted with my stance and pushed my knees out with my elbows. Will do that all week and see what happens next Sat!