Problem with Chins

It just hurts at the bottom of real chins, feeling like my arms are getting torqued our of the shoulder socket. I have rotating handles for a solution, but I am just curious…
With your palms facing you directly, and your forearms perpendicular to the ground, how far can you raise your arms, keeping that perpendicular status? I can’t raise my arms much more than my elbows at eye level.

I can raise them all the way up to vertical. Sounds like a flexibility issue.

sounds like a capsular issue with the stretch at the bottom…could be impingement syndrome, minor tear in the labrum, AC joint…go to an athletic therapist if it hurts that bad to get it sorted out

If you have a problem with your chins, it is time to cut.

zing

You mentioned rotating handles. Does it still happen when maintaining a strictly neutral grip (thumbs facing toward you)?

@hungry4more
Now, where did you dig up that beauty?
She’s making a rather long face, though. I bet she’s sad and longing for food.
Feed that poor thing, fill 'er up, will you!?

[quote]FattyFat wrote:

@hungry4more
Now, where did you dig up that beauty?
She’s making a rather long face, though. I bet she’s sad and longing for food.
Feed that poor thing, fill 'er up, will you!?

[/quote]

Careful dude, that is his girl! Remember leathernecks (aka Marines) love big and ugly!

This is a problem. You have tight internal rotators. You need to strengthen your serratus and do mobility and stretching drills for the shoulders. Mike Robertson has an entire article on this issue.

Underhand grip rope face pulls are great for this problem. So are scapular pushups and regular pushups.

Could be a mobility problem as others have said, or it could just be your individual shoulder anatomy. I’ve known people who can’t do chins without their shoulder hurting, only pull-ups and neutral-grip chins

Can you perform a straight-arm hang stretch from the bar (aka bottom position of the movement)?

With no bends in the elbows?

Where do you feel discomfort/pain?

For how long can you hang like this?

Does it help when you reverse/change your grip?

Have you tried Commando Pull-ups? After my shoulder surgery I was able to perform (carefully slow) commandos within two weeks but chins and pull-ups took me a good two months.