Problem W/ Bench Press

I’m having a big problem with dumbbell bench press… it supposedly works one’s pecs but all I ever feel the burn is my triceps. I’m pretty sure my form is right… so what could I be doing wrong?

Well, what does your form look like?

I’d suggest keeping your arms at a 45 degree position in relation to the body.

Make sure you go low enough that the dumbells are at least where your body is, even if they aren’t making contact.

If that fails, try pausing in the bottom position. 2, 3, 4, or 5 seconds will hit your pecs pretty hard, but you’ll need to lower the weight.

That or try 1 1/4 reps. Go down all the way, come up half way, go back down to the bottom…pause. And all the way back up. That’s one rep.

Happy tit building.

-MAtt

Try completely retracting your shoulder blades and keeping them that way throughout the set also, if you’re not doing so already.

Kubo

well,Eric Cressey has written about this before i think. I think he even has a name for what is happening physiologically here.

your triceps are being activated more than your pectoral muscles.

I know in these instances it is important to isolate the chest and “teach” it how to recruit all of its motor units.

dumbbell flys, and even flys on a pec deck can help do this.

[quote]wannagetbuff wrote:
I’m having a big problem with dumbbell bench press… it supposedly works one’s pecs but all I ever feel the burn is my triceps. I’m pretty sure my form is right… so what could I be doing wrong?[/quote]

DB bench works triceps more due to the path your arms follow on the way to lockout. If you want a big bench you need big triceps.

[quote]Matgic wrote:
That or try 1 1/4 reps. Go down all the way, come up half way, go back down to the bottom…pause. And all the way back up. That’s one rep.
-MAtt[/quote]

Good suggestion.