T Nation

Problem - Need Your Help

I’m trying to help a friend with a project… if you have any input, I’d really appreciate it.

She has to build a square, and every side of this square has to be 3 inches in width and height. Each side is of a different thickness though: 1, 3/4, 1/2, 3/8, 1/4, 1/8 inches.

How do you set it up to be a perfect square?

Anyone?

ok

I will try my best

think of using 6 pieces of wood to make your square. You have to incorporate the thickness of each piece into the total side length.

If the first piece you used was a 3 inch on each side by 1 inch thick piece it would cover all the volume of one side.

Each piece that is attached would have to butt into this piece otherwise it would add to the dimentional size of the 3"X 3" and would be too big.

You will end up using rectantangles to build a square so that the thickness of each piece is added to the rectangle to make it equal a square.

I would start by drawing it out on paper and adjusting each rectangle according to the thickness of each piece as you go.

This is a good mindgame.

Hmm… is she literally building it, say, with wood, or, is this a hypothetical “build” on paper?

I’m just wondering whether you’re asking how to get the dimensions right mathematicly, or whether you’re asking for mechanical explanations of how to go about building it.

IF you add up all the widths they add to 3", so if you make them all 3 inch on a side squares and stack them like cards it will also work.

I cannot grasp what you are asking. Is this really a square, or is it a cube? If it is supposed to be a square, this must be hypothetical, as you are stating your “pieces of wood” to be one-dimensional (length only).

I’d love to help, but I don’t quite understand the question.

~Terumo

[quote]Chewman wrote:
IF you add up all the widths they add to 3", so if you make them all 3 inch on a side squares and stack them like cards it will also work.[/quote]
Haha! Nice.

perspective - looking at the cube from strait on and not being able to see anything else other than the front piece. we will call this the front piece or FP. the sides that carry it back and give it depth will be called depth pieces or DP. and finally the piece that is seperated from the the FP and runs parallel to it face wise will be the back piece or BP.

we will further divide the the depth pieces into their left, right, top, and bottom locations keeping the same perspective in mind. these add a L, R, T, or B to the DP notations.

mentally putting it together…

BP(1’’)- 3’’ x 3’’ cut
FP(1/8’’)- 3’’ x 3’’ cut

all DP cuts fit inbetween BP and FP. meaning with our same perspective in mind you will not be able to see any edges of the DPieces looking strait on at the FP.

DPT(3/4’’)- 3 x 1 7/8’’
DPB(1/2’’)- 3 x 1 7/8’’

the left and right pieces will fit in the hole that is left.

DPL(3/8’’)- 1 3/4’’ x 1 7/8’’
DPR(1/4’’)- 1 3/4’’ x 1 7/8’’

now that you have the perspective in mind build the DP part first and then slap the faces on to complete.

enjoy

ha ha, you got me good farvra.

i used to build a ton of custom subwoofer boxes so i only wasted the time it took to type numbers. i can never find them without looking.

nice though, i could not pass this problem up because i used to do it so much that once my mind saw numbers it went to work.

still, you got me good farvra

[quote]lmjudek wrote:
I’m trying to help a friend with a project… if you have any input, I’d really appreciate it.

She has to build a square, and every side of this square has to be 3 inches in width and height. Each side is of a different thickness though: 1, 3/4, 1/2, 3/8, 1/4, 1/8 inches.

How do you set it up to be a perfect square? [/quote]

Just draw it.

Make the 1" side 3" x 3". Set it flat on the table. This is the “floor” of the box. Now to get each of the walls (which will all be 2" high), subtract the width of each consecutive side from 3". So, this is what you get.

(3/4 side) = 2" x 2-3/4"
(1/2 side) = 2" x 2-1/4"
(3/8 side) = 2" x 2-1/2"
(1/4 side) = 2" x 2-5/8"

now you just add the thicknesses of the opposing walls and subtract those totals from 3" to get the 1/8-thick “roof” dimensions.

so you get (1/8 side) = 1-7/8" x 2-1/4"

again here are those dimensions:

(1" side) = 3" x 3"
(3/4 side) = 2" x 2-3/4"
(1/2 side) = 2" x 2-1/4"
(3/8 side) = 2" x 2-1/2"
(1/4 side) = 2" x 2-5/8"
(1/8 side) = 1-7/8" x 2-1/4"

You can thank me later.

Anyone else feel like you are being asked to do someone’s homework for them???