Problem Finishing Deadlift

Okay, first message, so I expect you will be wanting some background.

First, I’ve been reading T-Nation for about a year and a half now. And I’ve been training seriously for about a year and a half now.

I have dicked around with weights before. I’m fifteen and started lifting in the middle of the eighth grade.

I was genetically pre-disposed to lift heavy objects. I can’t really show you with pictures because I don’t have a camera at my disposal, but I can give some evidence to that rather audacious statement with some family background. All of my family did some type of job involving hard labour. Lumberjacking, bricklaying, masonry, quarry working, metalworking, or more recently construction in general.

Now that we have all that BS dealt with, heres the problem. I was trying to hit a personal record the other day, and I have no problem getting it off the floor it’s smack in the middle of the lift. That’s the problem.

1, 2, 3, lift. Going easy. This is going to be sweet… awesome, awesome. Then it’s like I hit an effing brick wall. Exactly midway the lift I stall and I just can’t seem to break it.

I’m not exactly sure what problem that may be. All I’m looking for is some advice to deal with this problem.

I’ve had problems with bench and squat, and I managed to find all of my answers with various articles on T-Nation, but I haven’t found this one yet.

And the real thing is that, that point in the deadlift, is the hardest for me when just deadlifting, but I usually just man myself through it. To me, that personal best I was trying to hit, I should have been able to hit it.

I’m 15, 6’1 and exactly 205.3 lbs.
And about 16 days ago, my bodyfat was around 11 percent. I know, I had someone check, this isn’t a guestimation.

Rack pulls. Set the pins in a power rack at a point at or just below your sticking point and pull the bar from there.

Pin pulls in a power rack. Set the pins at knee height, load 'er up, and get to work.

Honestly though, if I were you, I wouldn’t be worrying too much about sticking points at this stage of the game. You’re a baby in the iron world. Focusing on details this minute could stall your gains. Just pound out heavy sets of 3-5 for a few more years. Then you can work on your weak points.

That’s true, I am still pretty new to the world of iron.

The main reason for this was that I wanted to hit those Personal records.

Things like that make me feel good. I think it’s just the ego boost I get from that.

“Hey, I just kicked my old records ass. Sweet.”

Yes rack pulls from just below the sticking point and most likely getting thje glute and hams to fire and push the hips through as long as back is up and not rolled over,

Phill

http://www.T-Nation.com/findArticle.do?article=05-044-training

http://www.T-Nation.com/readTopic.do?id=459744

Thanks for that article Deadlift diagnosis. I guess I must have skipped over that one in my searches somehow. I appreciate the help everyone.

[quote]Phill wrote:
Yes rack pulls from just below the sticking point and most likely getting thje glute and hams to fire and push the hips through as long as back is up and not rolled over,

Phill[/quote]

Phill, where’s the old lady analogy? Not appropriate?

look up! thats the best advice i ever got

Brett,

nod in agreement

I think the best thing you can do to help lockout is speed pulls other than the things you mentioned. You need to be able to accelerate to create the force from beginning to end. Rack pulls do help to a certain degree though, and they’re certainly a great back developer.

I’m no great expert, but one thing I have found to help is turning my toes out more. This helps to recruit your glutes for lockout.

[quote]Brett Tucek wrote:

Rack pulls might help. Maybe not. Personally, I think they suck. I can easily pull weights from my sticking point that I can’t in a deadlift. Why? Because the technique is different in a rack pull than a deadlift. Your body will be lined up differently, so it’s not going to be the same feel. I’ve been there.
[/quote]

I’ve heard reverse band pulls or deadlifts with chains can work better than rack pulls because you keep the same form as your full pull but still overload the top end of the movement.

hips and glutes

make sure you are driving the hips through to lockout the weight.

[quote]ExNole wrote:
Brett Tucek wrote:

Rack pulls might help. Maybe not. Personally, I think they suck. I can easily pull weights from my sticking point that I can’t in a deadlift. Why? Because the technique is different in a rack pull than a deadlift. Your body will be lined up differently, so it’s not going to be the same feel. I’ve been there.

I’ve heard reverse band pulls or deadlifts with chains can work better than rack pulls because you keep the same form as your full pull but still overload the top end of the movement. [/quote]

Yep, search for dynamic effort and chain use.
This type of training will help you with your speed and lockout; what you do is drop your bar-weight and add chain weight which you only have to lift further up the rep.

You know what? I think I found something. Turning out the toes, that helped quite a bit actually.

That’s something that I never paid that much attention to. Since this morning it’s been a week since I last deadlifted, so I gave it a shot about two hours ago. Kicked my PR’s ass.

Seriously, thanks a lot for the help guys, it’s much appreciated.

Even though problem pretty much solved, I’m still going to implement many of the techniques that you guys were talking of in my new training plan.