T Nation

Probiotics and Digestive Enzymes

What should I be looking for exactly?? At the store, they had like 6 different brand of probiotics and each of them had different stuff in them with different %, and at 25$ a bottle I dont feel like going trial and error

And is there anything else that would help my digestion??

ty

I am a pretty big fan of NOW Foods Plant Enzymes, it even has lactase to help with dairy digestion. NOW Foods Optimal Digestion is good too. I am thinking 1 capsule of both with each feeding would be optimal because they both contain some different enzymes.

This is especially important when consuming liquid whey protein to ensure optimal utilization. Studies have shown that you can only absorb so much in the time it takes to digest liquid protein, only about 15 grams, but with the extra enzymes utilization quadruples. Hope this helps with your decision!

After a bit of reading on the subject, I went with Healthy Trinity. Apparently the good probiotics need to be refrigerated, which makes sense.

Ohhira’s has a ton of actual research behind it- it’s about $33/month if you buy it online somewhere, but well worth it.

Scientific research of Dr. Ohhira’s Probiotic Formula

Antimicrobial Activity Against Methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus in the Culture Broth of Enterococcus faecalis TH 10, an Isolate from Malaysian Fermentation Food-Tempeh.Authors: I. Ohhira, Ph.D., T. Tamura, Ph.D., N. Fujii, Ph.D., K. Inagaki, Ph.D., and H. Tanaka, Ph.D. Department of Biological Resources, Faculty of Agriculture, Okayama University, Okayama, Japan. Published in the Japanese Journal of Dairy and Food Sciences, Vol. 45, Number 4 (1996).

Antimicrobial Activity Against MRSA
Authors: I. Ohhira, Ph.D., T. Tamura, Ph.D., N. Fujii, Ph.D., K. Inagaki, Ph.D., and H. Tanaka, Ph.D. Department of Biological Resources, Faculty of Agriculture, Okayama University, Okayama, Japan. Published by Bioactive Research Institute, Okayama, Japan (1996).
In VitroEfficacy of (Ohhira) Capsules Against Helicobacter Pylori Authors: J. Lambert, Ph.D. and Research Assistant C. Mishra. Gastrointestinal Research , Monash University, Department of Medicine, Clayton, Victoria, Australia (1998).

The Safety of Capsules Containing (Ohhira) Lactic Acid Bacilli Authors: T. Paraidathathu, Ph.D., and L. S. Hup, Ph.D., Pharmacy Department, Faculty of Allied Health Sciences, University of Malaysia, Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia. Symposium on Oral Recurrent Aphthous Ulcerations: Epidemiology, Clinicopathology and Management, University of Malaysia, Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia (1999).

Inhibitory Effects of (Ohhira) Lactic Acid Bacteria on Some Pathogens Including MRSA
Authors: K. Philip, Ph.D., H. Tanaka, Ph.D., and I. Ohhira, Ph.D., OMX Marketing Sdn. Bhd., Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia (1998).

The Influences on the VO; max of Athletes Taking (Ohhira) Lactic Acid Bacteria Authors: I. Ohhira, Ph.D., M. Kawasaki, Ph.D., N. Araki, Ph.D., K. Inokihara, Ph.D., T. Matsubara, Ph.D., and H. lwasaki, Ph.D. Research conducted at Kurashiki University of Science and the Arts, Kurashiki, Japan, Research Institution of Okayama Life Science, Okayama, Japan and Sanyo Gakuen University, Okayama, Japan (1997).

Antioxidant Property and Upper Gastrointestinal Tract Conditions as Affected by (Ohhira) Probiotic Capsules.
Author: K. Philip, Ph.D., Technical Manager, OMX Marketing Sdn. Bhd., Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia (1997).

The Influences of Lactic Acid Bacteria on Bone Structure.
Authors: M. Kawakami, Ph.D., I. Ohhira, Ph.D., N. Araki, Ph.D., K. Inokihara, Ph.D., H. lwasaki, Ph.D., and T. Matsubara, Ph.D. Research conducted at Kurashiki University of Science and the Arts, Kurashiki, Japan, Research Institution of Okayama Life Science, Okayama, Japan and Sanyo Gakuen University, Okayama, Japan. (1998).
Compilation of Dental Research Papers presented at Symposium on Oral Recurrent Aphthous Ulcerations: Epidemiology, Clinicopathology and Management, University of Malaysia, Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia (1999).

Dr. Ohhira

Dr. Ohhira, a distinguished professor and research scientist who has lectured at universities in Malaysia, Korea, and Japan, has authored or coauthored more than 20 scientific studies on lactic acid bacteria. He has conducted research studies at Kagawa Medical College in Japan and is a respected member of the Japanese Agricultural Chemistry Association and Japanese Microbiology Association. In addition, he is a member of the New York Academy of Science and serves as the technical advisor on agricultural and environmental issues to the government of Chengda, Suchuan, China.

Awards and C.V.

The Japanese Dairy and Food Association selected Dr. Ohhira’s probiotics as the “Best Product” of 1991. It also received the “International Best Alternative Medicine Gold Medal” from the Euro East West Intellect at the Global Health Manille '98, a World Congress and Exposition on Integrative Heating. The Japanese Dairy and Food Association recognized Dr. Ohhira as the “Scientist of the Year” in 1991 and he is honored as being the developer of the E. faecalis TH 10 strain of bacteria

Get Kefir milk, its like 3 bux.

i second the refrigerated probiotics and you should get prebiotics as well. The prebiotics act like food for the probiotics, you also want a probiotic that has a high number of colonies like in the range of 8-10 billion. A good prebiotic is FOS fructoligosaccarhides.

thanks, ill look at now food and ohhira, healthy trinity isnt cheap!