T Nation

ProAm Updates

I was an ADFPA, now USAPL, national referee. I judged squats that broke parallel from the side that looked high from the front by my estimate 4-5" from the front when I watched them on video. That is what I’m talking about. It causes a distortion so to speak.

I watched the video, it’s close but I can’t tell based on my experience of seeing both angles.

[quote]tom63 wrote:
I was an ADFPA, now USAPL, national referee. I judged squats that broke parallel from the side that looked high from the front by my estimate 4-5" from the front when I watched them on video. That is what I’m talking about. It causes a distortion so to speak.

I watched the video, it’s close but I can’t tell based on my experience of seeing both angles.[/quote]
Not to mention his large gu…, er I mean, midsection makes seeing that hip crease from the front pretty damn hard.

[quote]adam_medic wrote:
I don’t hold negative opinions on the whole. Even with regards to powerlifting, I love watching an ipf meet. There is no need for us to have an argument about the state of the majority of most multiply squats. You are clearly a powerlifter and know the rules about depth within the majority of federations, so you know that no matter what the weight, if it doesn’t hit depth it is not a legal squat. 1500 and 250 are the same 6 inches above depth regardless of the overall strength required to handle the former. The gear being too tight o facilitate adequate depth is not a valid excuse in the opinion of many including myself.[/quote]

I am sure you love watching all kinds of meets. I love competing in meets. I compete raw, single ply, and am starting to work in some multiply gear. The use of all three have made me realize that each change the dynamic of the sport and so far multiply reqiures the most skill and strength to keep from killing yourself, in my opinion. 1500lbs is a whole lot more than 250lbs. I know it probably doesn’t look like it from all the meets you watch but more weight usually feels heavier than less weight.

You are right about squats not counting if they don’t hit this magical absolute “depth” measurement you keep talking about. That’s why there are judges. To determine if the standards of the competition are being met. This is not fucking American Idol. At least the judging in SPF meets is consistant. I have seen more arbitrary bullshit calls in IPF meets, that I am actually competing in, to piss me off until the end of time.

[quote]novaeer wrote:

[quote]tom63 wrote:

I watched the video, it’s close but I can’t tell based on my experience of seeing both angles.[/quote]
Not to mention his large gu…, er I mean, midsection makes seeing that hip crease from the front pretty damn hard.[/quote]

Also, his legs look like fucking redwoods. The crease of his hip is probably about 4 feet long.

[quote]tom63 wrote:

What is your opinion of his 1260 squat compared to this one?

(the Bolton 1213 squat is still my personal favorite, the nosebleed was the icing on the cake)

[quote]StormTheBeach wrote:

[quote]adam_medic wrote:
I don’t hold negative opinions on the whole. Even with regards to powerlifting, I love watching an ipf meet. There is no need for us to have an argument about the state of the majority of most multiply squats. You are clearly a powerlifter and know the rules about depth within the majority of federations, so you know that no matter what the weight, if it doesn’t hit depth it is not a legal squat. 1500 and 250 are the same 6 inches above depth regardless of the overall strength required to handle the former. The gear being too tight o facilitate adequate depth is not a valid excuse in the opinion of many including myself.[/quote]

I am sure you love watching all kinds of meets. I love competing in meets. I compete raw, single ply, and am starting to work in some multiply gear. The use of all three have made me realize that each change the dynamic of the sport and so far multiply reqiures the most skill and strength to keep from killing yourself, in my opinion. 1500lbs is a whole lot more than 250lbs. I know it probably doesn’t look like it from all the meets you watch but more weight usually feels heavier than less weight.

You are right about squats not counting if they don’t hit this magical absolute “depth” measurement you keep talking about. That’s why there are judges. To determine if the standards of the competition are being met. This is not fucking American Idol. At least the judging in SPF meets is consistant. I have seen more arbitrary bullshit calls in IPF meets, that I am actually competing in, to piss me off until the end of time. [/quote]

STB is absolutely correct, I personally enjoy going rawdog. BUT it’s like comparing college basketball to N.B.A or to international basketball, they are all considered the sport of basketball but each are a bit different with there rules and style of play. So I might not enjoy watching or participating in a multiply lifting,but I still respect it.

[quote]punnyguy wrote:

[quote]tom63 wrote:

(the Bolton 1213 squat is still my personal favorite, the nosebleed was the icing on the cake)[/quote]

I think they were both close either way good or bad.

1. A guy that size cannot go eight " below parallel . You hit it close or miss it close just due to your proportions.
  2. Can’t say about each one unless I saw the side view.

I believe tie goes to the runner . If a guy is so close I’m not sure he gets it. 1/1000" is below parallel if you get my point. I won’t flag a lift if my initial thought is man that was so close. He gets the lift then . I can see close enough to flag a bad one.

People that lick the ipf’s nutsack drive me nuts . Denying a legitimate lift is to me worse than letting a bad one through . I mean a close bad one.

[quote]punnyguy wrote:

[quote]tom63 wrote:

(the Bolton 1213 squat is still my personal favorite, the nosebleed was the icing on the cake)[/quote]

1. A guy that size cannot go eight " below parallel . You hit it close or miss it close just due to your proportions.

I believe tie goes to the runner . If a guy is so close I’m not sure he gets it. 1/1000" is below parallel if you get my point. I won’t flag a lift if my initial thought is man that was so close. He gets the lift then . I can see close enough to flag a bad one.

People that lick the ipf’s nutsack drive me nuts . Denying a legitimate lift is to me worse than letting a bad one through . I mean a close bad one.

[quote]tom63 wrote:

[quote]punnyguy wrote:

[quote]tom63 wrote:

People that lick the ipf’s nutsack drive me nuts . Denying a legitimate lift is to me worse than letting a bad one through . I mean a close bad one. [/quote]

This is a great, great post.

905 raw squat-

The only thing he could have gotten a red light for is using black magic. Chad Smith is the most impressive squatter out there.

So I had a post…guess not anymore.

Anywho.

Amazing feats at the ProAm.

[quote]VikingsAD28 wrote:
905 raw squat-

The only thing he could have gotten a red light for is using black magic. Chad Smith is the most impressive squatter out there.[/quote]

now that is a fucking squat

Good lord, that was ridiculously strong for 900 raw.

[quote]Pigeon wrote:
Good lord, that was ridiculously strong for 900 raw. [/quote]

I know he tried 935 after this. I would love to see that because I can’t find anything on why it didn’t count.

[quote]Pigeon wrote:

I know he tried 935 after this. I would love to see that because I can’t find anything on why it didn’t count.[/quote]

I thought he missed it. I heard he got folded over with it.

I am new to this sport…and in awe of both raw and the guys in gear. I look at it kinda like this. This is raw:

and this is geared:

[quote]xneverbackdown wrote:

[quote]VikingsAD28 wrote:
905 raw squat-

The only thing he could have gotten a red light for is using black magic. Chad Smith is the most impressive squatter out there.[/quote]

now that is a fucking squat[/quote]

Chad Smith is indisputably one of the best powerlifters America has ever had, especially for an amputee. I do feel bad that he had to have his legs replaced with all that insanity and awesome though.

On Donnie T
To hit a mid 9’s bench like that after having a 1265 squat on your back and still have some room to pull anything is simply unreal. His squat and bench alone are higher than most people will ever total. Just curious does anyone know what his bodyweight was? He looks like he’s gotten bigger, which I didn’t think was possible.

[quote]Pigeon wrote:

I know he tried 935 after this. I would love to see that because I can’t find anything on why it didn’t count.[/quote]

He missed it about halfway up. Got forward and couldnt recover it.

Jason

[quote]JPeggEFS wrote:

[quote]Pigeon wrote:

He missed it about halfway up. Got forward and couldnt recover it.

Jason[/quote]

Damn. I am sure he will smoke that next time. 905 looked like he had a lot more in the tank.