Pro Masters Contest at 64

Training For My First Natural Professional Masters Contest at 64.

My name is Scott “Old Navy” Hults. I am a retired U.S. Navy Captain. I got the nickname, “Old Navy” from my fellow gym rats while I was preparing to enter my first bodybuilding contest in 2004 at the age of 61. My training was intense.

The guys would say things like, “Hey, Old Navy, slow down man, take it easy, you aren’t that young anymore.” What they didn?t understand was, to me, age is a statistic not a burden. Nevertheless, I like the nickname so I kept it.

In March of 2005, after training for 10 months, I entered my first competition, a non-tested NPC event. In the following 21 months I entered 15 more tested and non-tested contests, winning 32 weight, height, age class and best poser (3) trophies, including the 2006 FAME WNSO Men’s Masters 60+ World Championship in Toronto in June, and at 63 years of age, my Masters Pro Card at the 2006 NGA National Bodybuilding & Figure World Championships in Georgia in September and a second Masters Pro Card at the
2006 IDFA Canadian Classic II in Toronto in November 2006.

Along the way, www.Bodybuilding.com named me “Amateur Bodybuilder of the Week” in 2005 www.bodybuilders.com/hults.htm and “Over 40 Amateur Bodybuilder of the Week” in 2006 www.bodybuilders.com/scotth.htm.

I will enter my first Natural Professional Masters competition, the 2007 NGA Pro/Am in Duluth, Georgia on September 8. This is the show where I won my first Masters Pro Card. I will then continue training to enter the 2007 IDFA Canadian Classic III in Toronto six weeks later, at the same venue where I won my second Masters Pro Card this year.

My final Pro Show in my first year of pro competitions will be the NGA National Night of Champions Pro Master and Pro Figure in Houston, Texas on November 17. As a warm up to my pro debut, I might compete in the 2007 NPC Alabama State Championship as a Open Lightweight and Men’s Master 60+

I stepped onto the stage in Toronto at the Canadian Classic II weighing 141 pounds. I entered the contest about three pounds fuller than any other contest I entered in 2006.

My goal for my first Pro Show is to compete somewhere between 150 and 155 pounds. This is the challenge. I will focus on heavy lifting with fewer reps in order to add size. Of course, I will intersperse this with endurance work and maintenance work (hardening) along the way.

Old Navy -
www.BodyBuildingSenior.com

No f’in way you are 64 years old. Post a bigger picture. The guy in those pictures looks 25.

[quote]eengrms76 wrote:
No f’in way you are 64 years old. Post a bigger picture. The guy in those pictures looks 25.[/quote]

Thanks. Here’s another.

Lookin’ good ON. Good luck! Anchors Aweigh! Remember the Sullivans!

[quote]Avoids Roids wrote:
Lookin’ good ON. Good luck! Anchors Aweigh! Remember the Sullivans![/quote]

I remember their story. I even went aboard the USS The Sulivans in Norfolk, VA. Cool.

One more shot:

Old Navy

What does your training look like?

[quote]jbodzin wrote:
What does your training look like?[/quote]

Thanks for asking. It’s all in my Journal, on my web site www.bodybuildingsenior.com. I do hard-core workouts that I change every four-six weeks, including Escalation Density Training (EDT), Advance GH/with HITT Cardio, Hypertrophy Specific Training (HST), 8 x 8’s, Step Bombs, and a new one I am starting on Monday, Widow Maker Power Workout.

I do a lot of reps to failure work and various rep sets per exercise: 6 RM, 12 RM, 25 RM. I am a NFPT Personal Trainer and work mostly with senior athletes who are preparing to enter their first bodybuilding competition. I am currently working with a 40 year-old, a 50 year-old and two-over 60’s, all of whom will compete for the first time in 2007. I train my athletes natural.

I have competed in tested and non-tested shows, but prefer the former. My two Master Pro Cards are from natural organizations (NGA & IDFA-Canada).

Old Navy at the 2007 IDFA Canadian Classic II, Toronto, Canada, November 4.

Old Navy at the 2007 IDFA Canadian Classic II, Toronto, Canada, November 4.

Wow. You have achieved more than about 98.4% of T-Nation members.

Excellent work!

Thank you. But that’s not why I’m here. I joined T-Nation to learn all I can from you. I have read several of the articles already and have read several threads. I have discovered some gems of knowledge that are now part of what I do, that is , to work each day to improve myself and to pass on what I learn to others. The last line on my web site home page says, “God gave us our bodies. What we do with them is up to us.” I hope, along the way, that I will be able to share some things with the members of T-Nation, too.

Hell yea thats awesome man stuff like this motivates me big time thanks for posting.

[quote]KO421 wrote:
Hell yea thats awesome man stuff like this motivates me big time thanks for posting.[/quote]

Thanks, Man. This is one of my favorite poses (instead of the crab). I saw it on a web site and now, it’s my Favorite Most Muscular pose. It’s called the “Dickerson,” made famous by a great bodybuilder and poser, Chris Dickerson.

Amazing.

I’m curious, at 64, why stay natural? I’m sure you could eaisly qualify for HRT/TRT. Not only would it help in training, but your quality of life as well. Have you gotten a recent blood test?

Just so everyone is clear. I’m not knocking this guy, I think it’s incredible. I’m just curious.

Thanks, best of luck with your future goals.

Monopoly

[quote]Monopoly19 wrote:
Amazing.

I’m curious, at 64, why stay natural? I’m sure you could eaisly qualify for HRT/TRT. Not only would it help in training, but your quality of life as well. Have you gotten a recent blood test?

Just so everyone is clear. I’m not knocking this guy, I think it’s incredible. I’m just curious.

Monopoly[/quote]

Thanks for your message. My quality of life is sky high just the way I am. I have not missed a day of work because of illness in 15 years. After my last show in November, I had a complete blood and lab workup to see where I was. My testosterone is 450. The range for a man my age is 241-827.

Most guys my age are in the 100’s. My cholorestrol is 180 without medication and my ratio puts me at 1/2 the risk of the average male for heart problems. I lift five days-a-week, 90 minutes-a-day. My training partner is 20 years younger than me and my first trainng partner, who I trained for his first NPC win was 28. I have never taken steroids, andros, test boost, GH or diuretics.

I entered the world of competitive bodybuilding less than three years ago, after about 15 years of steady gym work. Of my 16 contests, five were non-tested NPC events, in which I have won nine weight and age class trophies, including a Open Men’s Bantam Weight title. My two Master Pro Cards were awarded by tested organizations. Why would I not stay natural? I will be competiting for a few more years and then will judge shows and teach the sport, as I am doing now. I press 90 pound dumbbells X 10 and I weigh 150 pounds. Why would I want to press any more? I always leave my ego at the gym door. Finally, I have been lifting heavy for three years, adding at least 5 pounds of new muscle each year, and in the last 15 years, training five days-a-week, I have never sustained a single training injury. No steroids…no injuries. Is there a message here? Anyway, I don’t need Growth Hormone Replacement Therapy or Test Replacement Therapy to achieve the goals I have set. I’ll use what I have of those things and do the best I can.

Very inspiring and much respect for making the best of what you have. Too many feel that they are getting “old” in the their 30’s and 40’s and want to jump right into HRT. Ridiculous, and the industry is all to happy to get you hooked into a lifetime supply of creams and injections.

[quote]Schmid993 wrote:
Very inspiring and much respect for making the best of what you have. Too many feel that they are getting “old” in the their 30’s and 40’s and want to jump right into HRT. Ridiculous, and the industry is all to happy to get you hooked into a lifetime supply of creams and injections. [/quote]

Thank you for your support. To me, age is a statistic, not a burden. I was not blessed with great genetics. I was blessed with the desire to work hard. My dad and granddad died at early ages due to the complications of Type I diabetes. At 50, I discovered I had several pre-diabetic symptoms. At 63, I still have the symptoms, but I do not have the disease. Through exercise and nutrition, I have staved off the onset of this ailment, common in diconditioned, obese, poor eating, bad lifestyle-habits men.

Old Navy
Train Hard. Train Natural.

Just awesome Old Navy! To me, you are a true pioneer for a new generation of seniors who are fit, both mentally and physically.

I am half your age and I must admit, at times I am fearful of aging. Reading your post definitely helps to alleviate some of those fears and give me hope for the future.

[quote]Old Navy wrote:
Monopoly19 wrote:
Amazing.

Monopoly

Thanks for your message. My quality of life is sky high just the way I am. I have not missed a day of work because of illness in 15 years. After my last show in November, I had a complete blood and lab workup to see where I was. My testosterone is 450. The range for a man my age is 241-827.

Most guys my age are in the 100’s. My cholorestrol is 180 without medication and my ratio puts me at 1/2 the risk of the average male for heart problems. I lift five days-a-week, 90 minutes-a-day. My training partner is 20 years younger than me and my first trainng partner, who I trained for his first NPC win was 28. I have never taken steroids, andros, test boost, GH or diuretics.

I entered the world of competitive bodybuilding less than three years ago, after about 15 years of steady gym work. Of my 16 contests, five were non-tested NPC events, in which I have won nine weight and age class trophies, including a Open Men’s Bantam Weight title. My two Master Pro Cards were awarded by tested organizations. Why would I not stay natural? I will be competiting for a few more years and then will judge shows and teach the sport, as I am doing now. I press 90 pound dumbbells X 10 and I weigh 150 pounds. Why would I want to press any more? I always leave my ego at the gym door. Finally, I have been lifting heavy for three years, adding at least 5 pounds of new muscle each year, and in the last 15 years, training five days-a-week, I have never sustained a single training injury. No steroids…no injuries. Is there a message here? Anyway, I don’t need Growth Hormone Replacement Therapy or Test Replacement Therapy to achieve the goals I have set. I’ll use what I have of those things and do the best I can.[/quote]

Test levels of 450 at age 64, WOW. Seems like you have it all in line. Like I said, congrats, and I respect your commitment to natty training. Again, good luck.

Monopoly

Thanks, Monopoly

I just wanted to go on record as to my training philosophy. That said, I respect every athlete’s right to choose their path. I do not judge or condemn anyone’s decision to train with enhancements. I’m just glad there are two roads to take.

As a competitor, I stand up against those who take one road and those who take another. It makes no difference to me. I love our sport. I love competing and I always keep one thing in mind. I never know who is going to show up on stage. I have no control over that. I Just try to be the best I can be and not worry about the guy standing next to me. He can’t do anything about me, either. LOL