T Nation

Pro Bodybuilding's Other Side?

You know, some people say that professional bodybuilding has a large homosexual following, and that the “sport” might be nothing more than a sneaky way for men to enjoy seeing muscley oiled-up men wearing next to nothing.

I really can’t understand why people would be so narrow-minded and so quick to stereotype. Really, it escapes me.

I tend to think of myself more in terms of weightlifting than bodybuilding.

I think the posing trunks should cover more area like they used to decades ago. I don’t even understand who started the “striated glutes” bullshit. But then, I also think that the level of being “ripped” should be reduced and eliminate the use of diuretics. The pic of Dennis James in the picture thread weeks away from the contest is about the level of condition they should compete in instead of the “bone dry” look that kills people.

As far as your topic, any time you have guys showing any parts of their body, you would ahve to be incredibly stupid to think homosexuals wouldn’t take notice. I honestly don’t see what that has to do with anything though because homosexuals are pretty much everywhere. What difference does it make?

The answer should be “none” if you are comfortable with your own sexuality.

[quote]HugeMutha wrote:
I tend to think of myself more in terms of weightlifting than bodybuilding.[/quote]

Why? If you are lifting weights to change the shape of your body, you are bodybuilding. What is the point of coming up with new names for the same activity? I’ve heard “powerbuilding” used. I think all of this shit confuses a very simple activity which is why so many newbies don’t even know where to go for info.

Instead of looking at and follwoing what hundreds of bodybuilders before them have done to reach a goal, they fall for “functional” bullshit and random name changes which do nothing but turn them away from oldheads with experience.

[quote]Professor X wrote:
I think the posing trunks should cover more area like they used to decades ago.[/quote]
Totally agree. I think the thicker waistband of the 70’s and early 80’s was just a better look. Thong speedos shouldn’t be necessary to see the work you’ve done.

After giving my post a second read, I think the sarcasm meter was totally not turned on (stupid, stupid internet with no vocal inflections). I just happened to find this pic on flexonline, and thought it was pretty funny. I’d just love to know what Cutler was saying right then.

A very under-rated, and extremely valid point. One of the trainers I worked with at my last gym was gay. None of the male members would hire him (no pun intended), but he was one of the most talented trainers I’ve met. One should have nothing to do with the other, but, because all people are stupid, it does.

Anywho, yeah…I was just trying to be funny. Guess it didn’t work. I’m a sad clown now. :frowning:

[quote]Minotaur wrote:
Professor X wrote:
I think the posing trunks should cover more area like they used to decades ago.
Totally agree. I think the thicker waistband of the 70’s and early 80’s was just a better look. Thong speedos shouldn’t be necessary to see the work you’ve done.

As far as your topic…
After giving my post a second read, I think the sarcasm meter was totally not turned on (stupid, stupid internet with no vocal inflections). I just happened to find this pic on flexonline, and thought it was pretty funny. I’d just love to know what Cutler was saying right then.

The answer should be “none” if you are comfortable with your own sexuality.
A very under-rated, and extremely valid point. One of the trainers I worked with at my last gym was gay. None of the male members would hire him (no pun intended), but he was one of the most talented trainers I’ve met. One should have nothing to do with the other, but, because all people are stupid, it does.

Anywho, yeah…I was just trying to be funny. Guess it didn’t work. I’m a sad clown now. :([/quote]

I actually got YOUR funny because you have been here long enough, but I know how this thread will go if others don’t.

HugeMutha wrote:
I tend to think of myself more in terms of weightlifting than bodybuilding.

Why? If you are lifting weights to change the shape of your body, you are bodybuilding. What is the point of coming up with new names for the same activity? I’ve heard “powerbuilding” used. I think all of this shit confuses a very simple activity which is why so many newbies don’t even know where to go for info.

Instead of looking at and follwoing what hundreds of bodybuilders before them have done to reach a goal, they fall for “functional” bullshit and random name changes which do nothing but turn them away from oldheads with experience.[/quote]

Semantics dude. I don’t workout so I will have a phenomenal pair of glutes. I hit the weights because I want to be big and strong like my daddy. Yes, weightlifting is body-building. But then again, so is marathon running and we all know what happens to people who look like a marathon runner when they post a picture on a BODY BUILDING forum. Enough. And, yes, I am anti-semantic.

[quote]HugeMutha wrote:
Semantics dude. I don’t workout so I will have a phenomenal pair of glutes. I hit the weights because I want to be big and strong like my daddy. Yes, weightlifting is body-building. But then again, so is marathon running and we all know what happens to people who look like a marathon runner when they post a picture on a BODY BUILDING forum. Enough. And, yes, I am anti-semantic.[/quote]

Gee, someone “anti-semantic” would be AGAINST a name change for the same activity.

That’s right, don’t mind logic or consistency, just keep doing what you’re doing.

HugeMutha wrote:
Semantics dude. I don’t workout so I will have a phenomenal pair of glutes. I hit the weights because I want to be big and strong like my daddy. Yes, weightlifting is body-building. But then again, so is marathon running and we all know what happens to people who look like a marathon runner when they post a picture on a BODY BUILDING forum. Enough. And, yes, I am anti-semantic.

Gee, someone “anti-semantic” would be AGAINST a name change for the same activity.

That’s right, don’t mind logic or consistency, just keep doing what you’re doing.[/quote]

My point, in case you missed it, was that they are not the same thing.

To make it easier to understand

Bodybuilding - aesthetic competetion
Weightlifting - functional
O-lifting - muscular competetion(power)
Powerlifting - muscular competition(strength)

That is essentially the aim of four very different forms of “body - building”.

I think the posing trunks should cover more area like they used to decades ago. I don’t even understand who started the “striated glutes” bullshit. But then, I also think that the level of being “ripped” should be reduced and eliminate the use of diuretics. The pic of Dennis James in the picture thread weeks away from the contest is about the level of condition they should compete in instead of the “bone dry” look that kills people.
[/quote]

Tripled agreement.

Weightlifting is the Clean and Jerk and the Snatch.

It has nothing in common with Bodybuilding except for the use of a Barbell.

[quote]HugeMutha wrote:

My point, in case you missed it, was that they are not the same thing.[/quote]

Right. You are simply…building bigger muscles and getting stronger while the bodybuilder is…building bigger muscles and getting stronger.

You’re right. I think I am “anti-semantic” also.

HugeMutha wrote:

Right. You are simply…building bigger muscles and getting stronger while the bodybuilder is…building bigger muscles and getting stronger.

You’re right. I think I am “anti-semantic” also. [/quote]

I drive to work everyday. I must be in NASCAR. Last friday I got so drunk that I crapped in the cat box. I must be an orange tabby.

[quote]HugeMutha wrote:

That is essentially the aim of four very different forms of “body - building”.[/quote]

Your “logic” really is killing me. I’m curious to know whether or not you actually know what semantics is. Your mistake is in your deduction:

Bodybuilders lift weights
I lift weights
I am a bodybuilder

Let’s try this:
Cats poop in litter boxes
I pooped in a litter box
I am a cat

Do you get it yet?

[quote]Minotaur wrote:
HugeMutha wrote:

That is essentially the aim of four very different forms of “body - building”.

[/quote]

HugeMutha wrote:

You’re right. I think I am “anti-semantic” also. [/quote]

look, i don’t know what ya’ll got going on here, but what does hatin jews got to do with bodybuilding? and why is you two so proud of ya’lls hatred?

[quote]mazilla wrote:
Professor X wrote:
HugeMutha wrote:

You’re right. I think I am “anti-semantic” also.

look, i don’t know what ya’ll got going on here, but what does hatin jews got to do with bodybuilding? and why is you two so proud of ya’lls hatred?

[/quote]

This just gets better and better

[quote]HugeMutha wrote:
Your “logic” really is killing me. I’m curious to know whether or not you actually know what semantics is. Your mistake is in your deduction:

Bodybuilders lift weights
I lift weights
I am a bodybuilder

Let’s try this:
Cats poop in litter boxes
I pooped in a litter box
I am a cat

Do you get it yet?[/quote]

That’s right, keep typing. This thread will be a winner yet.

You don’t just lift weights, genius. You said you are also trying to get bigger muscles. Bigger muscles aren’t really the goal to anyone else BUT bodybuilders. While some powerlifters may ALSO lift weights to look good, the act of doing so is still called BODYBUILDING. You can give it 5,000 different names but it won’t change what it is.