Pro Bodybuilding: Your Opinion

[quote]zdrax wrote:
apayne:

Yes I do, but couldn’t one purport the argument that those individuals engage in a modified sort of bodybuilding? [/quote]

No, but thanks for asking…oh, and for slowing down the momentum of this thread. I am sure we all appreciate that. Jackie Chan? Your only redemption, aside from grabbing a pencil and inserting it through the side of your neck, is to say, “Hey, guys, it was a joke!!”.

[quote]zdrax wrote:
This will probably hork some people off, but when I think of the ultimate physique, I envision someone like Tony Jaa, Jackie Chan (in his prime), Ho Sung Pak, or Bruce Lee.

…[/quote]

These guys may be (or have been)great athletes, but they are ACTORS. What you see on the big screen is FAKE. It is choreographed dancing. Why don’t you include Baryshnikov or Nureyev?

They are also examples of lean athletic dancers.

There are tons of guys with better physiques.

[quote]LoneLobo wrote:
My favorite: Forget the name, grabbed it off Powerful Images. This, IMO, is probably attainable naturally with lots of hard work (although i’m no expert)[/quote]

That guy kinda look like Melvin Anthony, one of the greatest posers out there with one of the tinyest waist in the IFBB.

Do you guys think that pro-bodybuilding deserves all that bashing when now more than ever there are less and less freaks?

Picture - Melvin Anthony 2004 NOC winner

[quote]TheFrenchMenace wrote:
That guy kinda look like Melvin Anthony, one of the greatest posers out there with one of the tinyest waist in the IFBB.

Do you guys think that pro-bodybuilding deserves all that bashing when now more than ever there are less and less freaks?

Picture - Melvin Anthony 2004 NOC winner
[/quote]
You may be right, there might be a change in the focus of judging. Again, though I may buy a mag every once in a while, I don’t follow it as closely. If they can begin focusing on guys like that, perhaps it will grow in popularity.

By the way, I do believe the smallest waist in bodybuilding belonged to Brian Buchanan.

Prof. X

What is your take on the 2005 AC?
I personally think that Cormier should have won. I think his physique is more appealing than Dexter’s. Dexter seemed to really have abused the drugs since the 2003 Olympia. Also, Cormier got the second place 6 times in a row. Baddell is another example of the freak look I hate. In no way he deserved that third place. His gut was huge and he was soft. That third place belonged to Priest.

Prof. X

What is your take on the 2005 AC?
[/quote]

Like I said, I don’t follow it that closely. The last time I was that into it, Levrone was coming in second in most contests and Shawn Ray was still competing. I have seen Dexter recently and yes, it does look like he is losing his lines and getting more and more bloated. I guess that is what happens when someone that short tries to weigh over 230lbs in contest condition. I think the way Flex Wheeler looked back around 1999 was probably the best bodybuilding ever got in terms of esthetics.

I went to the Olympia in NYC in 1998, the first year Ronnie won it, beating out Flex. Flex looked great, but I remember seeing his pictures from the Arnold earlier that year when that may have been about the best I have EVER seen in a bodybuilder in my life - lines, symmetry, fullness without any GH gut - just poetry. It’s a shame he could not keep it totally dialed in for the Olympia.

Kuz

Yeah Flex had a great physique, but man, the shit I read about this guy’s pre contest “prep”, CRAZY! He wrote in MD that he used to get like 21 injections at different places on his body of some drug that would swell his muscles. He would then pass out for like 3 or 4 hours and had his wife check on him at all time. He would also do some dangerous crap to get super dry. No wonder he retired so early.

No wonder he retired so early.[/quote]

No wonder his kidneys and natural testosterone production retired so early. I have read some of that and I think it is stupid. These guys aren’t exactly getting million dollar contracts so putting your health on the line like that makes zero sense. I hope he had the foresight to put as much thought into providing for his kids’ futures as he did the damage he caused to his own body.

LOL. I had a feeling I would get such a response. But I’m not one to hold back on my opinions. I think there’s room for both of us in this world. The ideal physique ultimately lies in the eye of the beholder…

Ladies and gentlemen, Tony Jaa:

[quote]zdrax wrote:
LOL. I had a feeling I would get such a response. But I’m not one to hold back on my opinions. I think there’s room for both of us in this world. The ideal physique ultimately lies in the eye of the beholder…

Ladies and gentlemen, Tony Jaa:[/quote]

It’s not like the thread title asked for your opinion or anything.

My opinion is that putting on your underwear and greasing up to go onstage is not the most manly thing in the world. Even if it takes a lot of dedication. Flame away.

[quote]zdrax wrote:
LOL. I had a feeling I would get such a response. But I’m not one to hold back on my opinions.[/quote]

Not holding back your opinions is one thing. Going to a vegan diners convention and handing out your grandma’s recipe for Yankee Pot Roast is something entirely different. Surely you’ve got to understand how Jackie Chan does not belong in a thread titled PRO BODYBUILDING: YOUR OPINION.

[quote]zdrax wrote:

Ladies and gentlemen, Tony Jaa:[/quote]

You’re right, I see my mistake now. The first thought that enters my mind when I see that picture is “Pro Bodybuilder”…well, that and “YMCA!”.

My gosh so much hatred. And I wasn’t even trying to troll or hi jack. Anyway, I appreciate everyone’s witty retorts and constructive criticism. Cheers friends!

[quote]zdrax wrote:
My gosh so much hatred. And I wasn’t even trying to troll or hi jack. Anyway, I appreciate everyone’s witty retorts and constructive criticism. Cheers friends![/quote]

There’s no hatred here, man. I actually respect Jackie Chan for his skills. I just don’t think his name and “bodybuilder” need to be thrown in too many sentences together. In that pic you posted, he looks like someone who has never lifted a weight (outside of push ups) but is very lean. I don’t understand the mentality that would think this thread warranted posting his picture. If this thread were about the physiques of martial artists in movies, then you could post his picture everywhere and no one would have said a thing.

[quote]LoneLobo wrote:
My favorite: Forget the name, grabbed it off Powerful Images. This, IMO, is probably attainable naturally with lots of hard work (although i’m no expert)[/quote]

Chris Dickerson

[quote]Professor X wrote:
By the way, I do believe the smallest waist in bodybuilding belonged to Pat Buchanan.
[/quote]

Hi Professor,
Since Pat Buchanan took a back seat in politics he’s really got his shit together! -And changed colour!

That’s the UK Brian Buchanan, great taper though.

Regards BJ

[quote]Blond Jerk wrote:
Professor X wrote:
By the way, I do believe the smallest waist in bodybuilding belonged to Pat Buchanan.

Hi Professor,
Since Pat Buchanan took a back seat in politics he’s really got his shit together! -And changed colour!

That’s the UK Brian Buchanan, great taper though.

Regards BJ[/quote]

You’re right, I’m wrong. Such is life. I figured it out later but didn’t correct it.

Pro Bodybuilding is pretty dull stuff, if you ask me. And faggy. Oiling and pumping up, shaving everything, putting on the smallest pair of pink posing pants you can find, then going on stage, pulling them up your crack and flexing your glutes? That’s gay.

If I buy or browse through a muscle rag, I usually skim over the contest stuff. Huge GH guts and globs of synthol? Surely the judges are to blame. If those clowns did their job, then bodybuilders wouldn’t use those two substances, and the sport could take a step up.

I do look to pro bodybuilders for some inspiration, though. I like Dexter Jackson, and the picture posted of Troy Alves looks pretty much ideal, if you ask me. The bodybuilders of the past had some good physiques- Arnold, Draper, Chris Dickerson, etc.

Maybe not a Professional Bodybuilder, but I dare any one to say that Pudz doesn’t own one of the most beautiful physiques out there. And it seems that his physique is functional as well.