T Nation

Pro Bodybuilders and Facial Hair

How come they don’t have facial hair? Are they required to shave it off? Pretty much the only person I have seen that has facial hair is Zane in a few pictures.

Bodybuilders are weak sissies that have the testosterone levels of a 12 year old girl and can’t grow anything more than a little scruff.

Seems pretty obvious…

Ok, ok… I really don’t have an answer.

However, I tried looking for the pictures of Zane and couldn’t find anything. One of the members here has a black and white of a bodybuilder with facial hair and he looks like a total fucking badass. I always wondered who that was. Zane?

Mike Mentzer had a moustache. Jusup Wilkosz had a full beard.

No go hang your head in shame.

[quote]BHCS18 wrote:
Bodybuilders are weak sissies that have the testosterone levels of a 12 year old girl and can’t grow anything more than a little scruff.

Seems pretty obvious…[/quote]

Nice to see “dumbass” is still here in huge numbers.

Ya, that black and white picture with the guy with the beard was Frank Zane. I agree it did look badass. But I still think this is a valid question.

Those other guys Joe D. posted do in fact have a beard. But in general, it seems the overwhelming majority of body builders don’t have one. I just wanted to know what the rationale behind it was.

There is no rationale. Save for certain countries in the middle east most men don’t keep facial hair.

Most people cannot handle the power of a full beard. Unless you have experienced the joy of being called Grizzly Adams/Captain Haddock, you simply can’t understand why most mortals do not sport facial hair.

Pro-bodybuilding is just a subset of the beardless population.

I think its most likely the same reason that most pros keep fairly short hair cuts, its an attempt to look clean cut.

Also, they are trying to specifically show off their physique, so thats where they want all the attention.

Everything above the neck should just try to compliment whats below.

–JB

I’ve seen Rusty Jeffers sport a pretty badass moustache before. He says the ladies love it. I, however, don’t think he keeps it for shows.

Jeffers used to, back in the days when he had the flowing black mullet, but since he’s started shaving the head, ive seen less and less of the stache.

He probably stopped with the stache after he got his pro card a few years back.

im just posting so you get to see the awesomeness that is Frank Zane. OP i know you already mentioned him, but he looks pretty badass imo.

Long hair supposedly takes away from their physique. I remember reading something about Shawn Ray(i think) and his hair. One year he had this huge flat top that took away from his physique. THe next year , he went in pretty much bald and placed much higher.

It seems like they have about as much facial hair in their ranks as any other population.

[quote]zooropa1150 wrote:
Long hair supposedly takes away from their physique. I remember reading something about Shawn Ray(i think) and his hair. One year he had this huge flat top that took away from his physique. THe next year , he went in pretty much bald and placed much higher.[/quote]

I had long hair over last summer. When fall came around I had to cut it off for my new job. I immediately got comments from my lady friend at the time that I was looking bigger.

Branch Warren has a goatee. I’m gonna have a Magnum P.I stache when i hit the pro ranks.

He stopped the stache when he stopped doing homosexual photo shoots for Colt Magazine as Carl Hardwick.

Frank Zane appears almost biblical with that beard!

Some guys can get away with it, just as some guys look better with long hair (David Lee Roth, for example). lol