Private Lesson w/ Gary Valentine

Being from the small state of Connecticut, It was tough for me to get into Olympic lifting. Why? Because no around or at the gym does it. Or so I thought…

I will start off saying that I read T-Nation every day. My passion to learn more and more about weight lifting/health/fitness etc⿦ earns for more knowledge every day. Over and over I read articles stressing the importance of Power lifts⿿ such as the snatch, clean, Clean & Jerk, and hang clean.

I have watched videos of these exercises over and over; but that can only get me so far. My next search was hopefully someone in my gym for guidance. As you can guess, no such luck…
I finally started searching vigorously, and luckily found a man named â¿¿Gary Valentineâ¿¿.

I didnâ¿¿t know much about him when I called, but I heard he knows what he is doing when it comes to lifting. I wasnâ¿¿t sure what to expect, but I figured if he can at least show me to correct my form, it will all be worth it.

As I arrived at his house, almost an hour and a half away, I saw a three car garage that had equipment in it, I wasnâ¿¿t sure what to expect, but I entered in hope of some knowledge. Inside the garage, is where my life was about to change.

As I entered the inside, I realized Gary is not just â¿¿some guyâ¿¿ who can Olympic lift. The inside was covered from wall to wall with medals, trophies, and articles. I quickly learned that Gary has been a major competitor for over 20 years and has his own Connecticut Olympic lifting team.

I donâ¿¿t know how I can put my session into words, I just hope some one can relate. That that day was one of the most fun, as well as educational days in my life. Gary is an outstanding coach, and the session with him was amazing, as well as very painful. I am hooked.

Learning how to properly do an Olympic lift and being able to perform it, there is nothing else like it. Being able to summon your strength, and power the way I did was like nothing I have ever done before. The information was outstanding, I had no idea that I would be able to complete a proper clean, clean and jerk, and snatch all in one day.

I cant believe how much fun this is and can not wait to go back for more information. I know this may seem like I am babbling, but I hope some can relate to this amazing experience.

Also if you guys know anything about Mr. Gary Valentine, or are in CT, NY area, I highly suggest looking him up. His information is outstanding, and his willing to help is absolutely amazing.  

Hmmm… I didn’t know that little “Danny Heffernan” is a weightlifter also.

:wink:

[quote]eisenaffe wrote:
Hmmm… I didn’t know that little “Danny Heffernan” is a weightlifter also.

;)[/quote]

Different Gary. This is the one I am talking about

Gary is a class guy and really knows his stuff.