Private BB Forums, Paysites, Books?

[quote]Scott M wrote:
That is the main issue here… time. A 17-21 year old kid can get away with spending 2 years of analysis paralysis because he’s still got the bulk of his best growth years(even if he wasted very good ones).

At 36 you don’t have that luxury in the least bit… if you are going to make yourself into the BBer that you hope you have to start today. [/quote]

Very well stated. If this is where you are at the age of 36 after PAYING for a website about bodybuilding, you may need to find a new hobby.

There are people making real progress who couldn’t tell you even one thing about caloric intake or what author writes which program. They do understand hard work though…something this guy seems to be avoiding.

www.brinkzone.com/index.php

is this the dude ?

jeesh , the photos dont reveal that he lifts at all . theres a couple dudes at my gym who look bigger than that guy…and I lift at a YMCA.

couldnt find any training logs…wonder why

That is Will Brink.

He is a bright guy.

But as I stated before, there is no way at this point in my life that I am going to follow someone’s advice on something they do not do.

I don’t …

• Listen to people’s career advice on career changing (something I am going through right now; will still work in nutrition but a different setting) when they have been at the same job or in the same career position for 10 to 40 fucking years!

• Listen to adults’ advice on relationships or dating when they have been dating or are currently married to the same person since high school or have never been adept at picking up people of the opposite sex besides their celebrity!

Dr. Phil and Oprah come to mind.

• Listen to people on how to get big when they are not big!

• Listen to someone on how to get rich when they are not rich!

[quote]Scott M wrote:
That is the main issue here… time. A 17-21 year old kid can get away with spending 2 years of analysis paralysis because he’s still got the bulk of his best growth years(even if he wasted very good ones).

At 36 you don’t have that luxury in the least bit… if you are going to make yourself into the BBer that you hope you have to start today. [/quote]

I strongly agree. Main reason I’ve had an awful time managing my time schedule is because I’m ADHD. Having said that, this is being addressed at the time of this writing.

Just for the record, I do not wish to become a competing bodybuilder, I’m just after the best non-competitive muscular tone I can get and so far so good. I’ve made more progress over the last months than I did in years back then, because I have far more knowledge and determination. Emphasis on drive !

[quote]Professor X wrote:
Scott M wrote:

At 36 you don’t have that luxury in the least bit… if you are going to make yourself into the BBer that you hope you have to start today.

Very well stated. If this is where you are at the age of 36 after PAYING for a website about bodybuilding, you may need to find a new hobby.

There are people making real progress who couldn’t tell you even one thing about caloric intake or what author writes which program. They do understand hard work though…something this guy seems to be avoiding.[/quote]

Dude, is there any way someone can post on here without being blasted–I was at least straightforward enough to tell about my situation, so if you don’t mind have a little more respect to me, even though you haven’t got the remotest idea who I am. D

o you have any idea WHY I had to stop lifting years ago ? Because I developed a serious disease process, so before you make any judgement call regarding someone’s life situation, would you be so kind as to get more than just 5% of the story together. I guess, you’ll now start thinking that my disease process was somehow connected to obesity, while we’re at it.

Think what you what, but if you can’t have a minimum of respect, I’d gently invite you to not join in the conversation. Notice that I haven’t insulted anyone above, so the very mnimum you can do is do the same. You could have voiced your opinion without being sarcastic.

[quote]Professor X wrote:
chip douglas wrote:
Scott M wrote:
chip douglas wrote: I’m 36 and resumed weight lifting 4 months ago

Well this answered the question for me. Do you need to pay money for information if you haven’t even been training 2/3 of the year you were doing it?

Well, it wasn’t very expensive, so I went for it. Also, my thinking was to go and get the theory first and then action. You probably wonder why at this point.

I did this, because years ago when I was lifting, I wasn’t doing it right, so I wanted to get the teory down before I’d start again. Having said that, I’m aware that very few do it this way.

Wow…what a pussy!

I, of course, mean that with the greatest respect. I mean, clearly someone who wants something really bad…will read about it for months or years without putting forth any action towards it. Clearly.[/quote]

The serious disease process, isn’t ADHD–just in case you’d like to make some smart comments again.

[quote]Bricknyce wrote:
That is Will Brink.

He is a bright guy.

But as I stated before, there is no way at this point in my life that I am going to follow someone’s advice on something they do not do.

I don’t …

• Listen to people’s career advice on career changing (something I am going through right now; will still work in nutrition but a different setting) when they have been at the same job or in the same career position for 10 to 40 fucking years!

• Listen to adults’ advice on relationships or dating when they have been dating or are currently married to the same person since high school or have never been adept at picking up people of the opposite sex besides their celebrity!

Dr. Phil and Oprah come to mind.

• Listen to people on how to get big when they are not big!

• Listen to someone on how to get rich when they are not rich!
    [/quote]

Good point.

Just lift weights.

You’ll learn a lot more a lot quicker.

[quote]chip douglas wrote:

Many thanks all.
[/quote]

I’m a wee bit biased, but I think the answer is simple: if you felt you derived real benefit for the $$$$ spent, renew. If you didn’t, don’t renew. You have been a member long enough to know whether or not you derived benefit for the $$$ you parted with a this point.

• Will

[quote]Bricknyce wrote:
Why am I going to listen to what some guy is recommending if he ain’t jacked or never stepped on a stage?
[/quote]

So if that guy has worked with both pro and national level bbers who think he knows his stuff, that’s not good enough for you? Cool with me I guess. If you ever bump into Dorian, Milos, or Vic Richards, feel free to ask them what they think of Will Brink. I’m not sure what you mean by “jacked” but I did OK with the genetics I was give. In my 20s:

And now in my 40s:

No, I aint pretty, aint huge; I was never going to win the Olympia, but I did the best I could with the genetics I was given, as well as having to deal with some serious health issues on along the way. If “jacked” = knowledge to you, then Ronnie must know more then Dorian who must know more than Shawn Ray who must know more than the late Dan Duchaine or yours truly. None of which is true…

Anyway, just my thoughts on the issue. I wish you will in all your training objectives :slight_smile:

• Will

Chris,

You need to understand that on a site as big as this one your going to encounter people who are very full of themselves, people who don’t know how to be courteous and people who just like to see their own words in print. You can’t stop people like this so just ignore them.

On the other hand, there are also some people on this site that enjoy helping out a fellow lifter regardless of their training level. Lots of folks don’t mind telling you about the mistakes they’ve made so that you can avoid them. People who share some positive info that you’ll find useful in your program. So best advise is to look for them and disregard the rest. When those few grow up, maybe they’ll learn to play nice.

My advice is to find what is useful to you and stick with it. If you’ve found sound advice on Will’s site and like being a part of that community then you’ve found yourself a bargain.

Yes, there are a lot of free articles here as well. But as with anything, there is a lot of division and conflicting advice. Again, treat it as a buffet, choose what works for you and pass the rest by.

I think will brink deserves a bit respect , he helps people change their lifes by loosing weight which is only a good thing , and probably forgot more about BB than I’ll ever know, if you think great gains without nutrition your just gonna be another big guy with fat gut to match , chip if you get something from it join stay nat mate

[quote]TRAJJ wrote:
Chris,

You need to understand that on a site as big as this one your going to encounter people who are very full of themselves, people who don’t know how to be courteous and people who just like to see their own words in print. You can’t stop people like this so just ignore them.

On the other hand, there are also some people on this site that enjoy helping out a fellow lifter regardless of their training level. Lots of folks don’t mind telling you about the mistakes they’ve made so that you can avoid them.

People who share some positive info that you’ll find useful in your program. So best advise is to look for them and disregard the rest. When those few grow up, maybe they’ll learn to play nice.

My advice is to find what is useful to you and stick with it. If you’ve found sound advice on Will’s site and like being a part of that community then you’ve found yourself a bargain.

Yes, there are a lot of free articles here as well. But as with anything, there is a lot of division and conflicting advice. Again, treat it as a buffet, choose what works for you and pass the rest by.[/quote]

That was a very logical, well thought out and supportive post.

What the hell are you doing around here???

[quote]Kruiser wrote:
TRAJJ wrote:
Chris,

On the other hand, there are also some people on this site that enjoy helping out a fellow lifter regardless of their training level. Lots of folks don’t mind telling you about the mistakes they’ve made so that you can avoid them.

People who share some positive info that you’ll find useful in your program. So best advise is to look for them and disregard the rest. When those few grow up, maybe they’ll learn to play nice.

Yes, there are a lot of free articles here as well. But as with anything, there is a lot of division and conflicting advice. Again, treat it as a buffet, choose what works for you and pass the rest by.

That was a very logical, well thought out and supportive post.

What the hell are you doing around here???
[/quote]

Trying to set a trend…:wink:

x 2 on the excellent post, TRAJJ.

Chip,
I think that the only person who can answer you initial questions is you.
If you are satisfied with the information that you’ve been paying for so far, then by all means carry on paying for it.

The only advice I’d give you is to actually put the information you are paying for into practice. If it doesn’t work, then stop paying for it.

Also, don’t assume that the best advice has to be paid for: there is more than enough information on this website alone to get you where you want to go.

The beginners stickies and the Starting Strength thread alone have all you need to know for putting on serious muscle

[quote]TRAJJ wrote:
Chris,

On the other hand, there are also some people on this site that enjoy helping out a fellow lifter regardless of their training level. Lots of folks don’t mind telling you about the mistakes they’ve made so that you can avoid them. People who share some positive info that you’ll find useful in your program. So best advise is to look for them and disregard the rest. When those few grow up, maybe they’ll learn to play nice.

Yes, there are a lot of free articles here as well. But as with anything, there is a lot of division and conflicting advice. Again, treat it as a buffet, choose what works for you and pass the rest by.[/quote]

Good post.