Prison Man Trades for Oats

A friend of mine who is really involved with weight training and body building was telling me the other day that if he could eat only one thing by which to put on some serious muscle mass it would be porridge ( rolled oats ). His logic stems from when he was briefly in prison and saw another prisoner who was very well built lifting a load of weights in the prison gym.

This prisoner would barter away all he had with the other prisoners just to procure boxes and boxes of oats! I always assumed you would need loads of protein to put on quality mass but this sort of implies that carbs seem to be the main thing as I cant see him getting much in the way of protein from the milk he was consuming.

What do you guys think?

[quote]steven alex wrote:
A friend of mine who is really involved with weight training and body building was telling me the other day that if he could eat only one thing by which to put on some serious muscle mass it would be porridge ( rolled oats ). His logic stems from when he was briefly in prison and saw another prisoner who was very well built lifting a load of weights in the prison gym.

This prisoner would barter away all he had with the other prisoners just to procure boxes and boxes of oats! I always assumed you would need loads of protein to put on quality mass but this sort of implies that carbs seem to be the main thing as I cant see him getting much in the way of protein from the milk he was consuming.

What do you guys think?[/quote]

Oats contain protein. Regular old Quaker Oatmeal has about 7 grams per half cup. If he ate 8 cups of oatmeal a day, he’d get 118 grams of protein and around 170 grams of decent quality carbs.

[quote]dhuge67 wrote:
steven alex wrote:

What do you guys think?

Oats contain protein. Regular old Quaker Oatmeal has about 7 grams per half cup. If he ate 8 cups of oatmeal a day, he’d get 118 grams of protein and around 170 grams of decent quality carbs.[/quote]

Exactly.

Plus all of those quality carbs probably gave him the energy to lift heavy often, which is most likely why he added a lot of mass.

Plus- aren’t prison meals supposed to be fairly balanced? I would imagine he had more protein than the guy thought.

I think Shugart should go “inside” and do an article on the “Prison Diet” and adding mass.

[quote]Avoids Roids wrote:
I think Shugart should go “inside” and do an article on the “Prison Diet” and adding mass.[/quote]

That’d REALLY be “taking one for the team” there.

Pure bullshit, how much oatmeal do you think you could pig out on? Those guys eat alot of calories and have plenty of free time to lift weights frequently. Some prisons have eliminated gym equipment in general because inmates were getting too big for the guards to handle.

[quote]MaximusB wrote:
Pure bullshit, how much oatmeal do you think you could pig out on? Those guys eat alot of calories and have plenty of free time to lift weights frequently. Some prisons have eliminated gym equipment in general because inmates were getting too big for the guards to handle. [/quote]

Well, he was getting a lot of “protein” donations from the other inmates too, but he didnt share that part of the story! I must admit it sounds a bit dubious to me too. I mean, if he were a terribly intelligent person, he wouldn’t be in prison to start with.

[quote]MaximusB wrote:
Pure bullshit, how much oatmeal do you think you could pig out on? Those guys eat alot of calories and have plenty of free time to lift weights frequently. Some prisons have eliminated gym equipment in general because inmates were getting too big for the guards to handle. [/quote]

Maybe they should introduce yoga and meditation?

[quote]dhuge67 wrote:
Oats contain protein. Regular old Quaker Oatmeal has about 7 grams per half cup. If he ate 8 cups of oatmeal a day, he’d get 118 grams of protein and around 170 grams of decent quality carbs.[/quote]

I think your numbers are off. I think the ratio of carbs to protein is more like 4:1.

If you know of a different oatmeal please let me know.

[quote]vroom wrote:
MaximusB wrote:
Pure bullshit, how much oatmeal do you think you could pig out on? Those guys eat alot of calories and have plenty of free time to lift weights frequently. Some prisons have eliminated gym equipment in general because inmates were getting too big for the guards to handle.

Maybe they should introduce yoga and meditation?[/quote]

Or forced sodomy. Oh wait, the already have that.

[quote]dhuge67 wrote:
steven alex wrote:

What do you guys think?

You eat that much oatmeal and you will be shitting up a storm along with pissing your celly (cellmate) off to kingdom come. Not wise especially if you are sleeping on the top bunk.

[quote]dhuge67 wrote:
steven alex wrote:

What do you guys think?

You eat that much oatmeal and you will be shitting up a storm along with pissing your celly (cellmate) off to kingdom come. Not wise especially if you are sleeping on the top bunk.

[quote]vroom wrote:

Haha, man. The mental picture of this has had me cracking up for a while now. This is good stuff.

[quote]vroom wrote:
MaximusB wrote:

Can’t, they may just fly right out of there.