I was discussing this with a few coworkers today and was curious to your insight.
We came to the idea that a great training program has the following
- Have to have a specific goal in mind
- Compound movements
- Assistance movements
- Different sets/reps
- Heavy, medium, light weights
- Can’t ever have enough back or core work
- A clearly defined way to progress
- Flexibility in how to set it up based on schedule changes (ability to morph from a 5 day to 2 day program if need be)
But in order for the program to be truly great, the person has to
- Attack each training day with intensity and focus
- Rarely miss days
- Realize some days are just not gonna go good, live to fight another day
What do you guys think are the principles that make up a great training program?